All things STOCKS

There is just so much fing momentum to the downside rn. Only a reduction in the number of hikes will get us going back up atp it seems.

What vaccination mandates for US citizens are in force to travel by CDC?
I think non US citizens are required to be vaccinated to enter the US. That should change soon. Possibly in the next few days.
It's hard to say how much upside is left in cruise and airline stocks. They have both suffered greatly from Covid. One of the best, Crystal Cruise Line went bankrupt.
OTOh, I own JBLU and NCLH. I Just don't expect to them to get anywhere close to pre covid prices any time in the near future.
Most cruise lines required it to travel.

There is just so much fing momentum to the downside rn. Only a reduction in the number of hikes will get us going back up atp it seems.
Correct. The Feds are about a year late slowly raising rates at .25, it has allowed inflation to get out of control. You can take that 7.9% inflation number they put out and add 4 to 5% to it for a real number and I think that is still very conservative.

Not sure how many charts in here but here is what I'm watching. All major indexes death crossing on the daily time frame. Green is the 50ma, yellow is the 100ma, and red is the 200ma.

DOW
Screenshot_20220312-125229_TradingView.jpg

S&P futures
Screenshot_20220312-125252_TradingView.jpg

S&P index
Screenshot_20220312-125338_TradingView.jpg

Invesco QQQ Trust
Screenshot_20220312-125436_TradingView.jpg

Nasdaq Composite
Screenshot_20220312-125554_TradingView.jpg

Reactions: mrorange211
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'd suggest everyone being ready with cash when this split happens. Buy all you can and don't look at it again for 10 to 20 years.

It’s really just math and a bit of movement based on a perceived change in value. Fundamentally AMZN is no different before or after the split. Round lots for retail investors really don’t mean much now that we are in an era of fractional shares. The interest generated by the share split contributes to more volume and volatility. At the end of the day the market cap of AMZN is the market cap of AMZN.

Reactions: Go aeiou
It’s really just math and a bit of movement based on a perceived change in value. Fundamentally AMZN is no different before or after the split. Round lots for retail investors really don’t mean much now that we are in an era of fractional shares. The interest generated by the share split contributes to more volume and volatility. At the end of the day the market cap of AMZN is the market cap of AMZN.
I bet 75% of the retail traders gained in the last two years are done with trading by end of 2022 or 2023.

That's not my point. Currently it's hard to buy even one share of Amazon for most people. In 10 to 20 years the price will be back up to it's current price per share.

The only thing I don't like about it is the outstanding shares once it splits. Currently at 508M outstanding shares. After the split it will be over 10 billion outstanding shares.

That's not my point. Currently it's hard to buy even one share of Amazon for most people. In 10 to 20 years the price will be back up to it's current price per share.

The only thing I don't like about it is the outstanding shares once it splits. Currently at 508M outstanding shares. After the split it will be over 10 billion outstanding shares.
Buy fractional shares of Amazon? That allows you to invest as much as you want. Plenty of brokers allow you to buy fractional shares.
There are no new shares being offered so there should be no material effect on the price of the stock caused by the split.
OTOH, Amazon is near it's 52 week low. This might be a good time to buy. That is how I typically try to accumulate stock, buy on dips.
Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Buy fractional shares of Amazon? That allows you to invest as much as you want. Plenty of brokers allow you to buy fractional shares.
There are no new shares being offered so there should be no material effect on the price of the stock caused by the split.
OTOH, Amazon is near it's 52 week low. This might be a good time to buy. That is how I typically try to accumulate stock, buy on dips.
Or am I missing something?
A 20to1 forward split will take their OS from 508M to over 10 billion. Yea the market cap is the same.

Look at Tesla that split back in the fall. You don't want to buy shares of Amazon in the $130's for a scalp. 10 or 20 year hold.
You may be correct that in 10 years, today's price will seem cheap.

But it has nothing to do with the stock split. Buying 0.1 shares of a $1000 stock or 1 share of a $100 stock is the same thing.

Look at Tesla that split back in the fall. You don't want to buy shares of Amazon in the $130's for a scalp. 10 or 20 year hold.

Tesla's stock split is not the reason the stock has fallen. Tesla has had almost no good news lately. They have announced that they are having supply chain problems, and will not offer any new models in 2022. They had said earlier that they were working on a $25,000 car. Now they say they have not yet begun work on it.

NIO is down 32% in the last month.
LCID, down16%
TSLA, down 9%

I will not touch NIO or any other Chinese company. I bought LCID at 23-23 and sold above 50 in the last year. Have never owned Tesla. It too trendy for me. Own none of them now. Doesn't mean they are crummy stocks(NIO is, imo)

Tesla’s stock was around $470 post split. I bought it and sold last year for $950 and it peaked over $1200. It’s still up almost 70% since the split. That’s a decent scalp.

I can’t believe we’re discussing gains based on a stock split. Come on people. We’re better than that.

And yes. I started it. But it (the split) has nothing to do with AMZN’s valuation (market cap).
I'm not sure everyone's actually understanding what I'm saying. This is a a opportunity to buy all you can and lock it away for years. Amazon will continue to get bigger and will continue to buy back those shares.

Reactions: mrorange211
You may be correct that in 10 years, today's price will seem cheap.

But it has nothing to do with the stock split. Buying 0.1 shares of a $1000 stock or 1 share of a $100 stock is the same thing.
I'm saying buy all you can and lock it away. The amount of shares doesn't matter.

I typed this twice and deleted it. Holy cow, people. Just assume that we're investors in this thread.

I’m baffled. I guess it is why investment managers can charge 1% for their work.

Anybody that thinks buying shares after stock splits are announced, please read this about 10 times. And maybe how arbitrage works as well.

Stock Split

What I own is not rallying today. If you look at MOS and defensive stuff like AEP, they're hot. I'd be tempted to sell that. What I did do is look at MU and UCTT in plummet mode and bought more.

I own VALE which is an iron miner, and I considered selling that today to pay for it, but it's just questionable which way it's really going. It has a P/E ratio of 4, ha ha, but that is because the expectation is iron prices must fall. You know, post-supply-chain-recent-unpleasantness. So it changes quite a bit based on the outlook of that. If you look at VALE stock and iron ore spot price, it's the same chart. On the way up right now. I have been selling covered calls on VALE, so liable to get "caught" but I haven't so far.

VN Store

Back