All things STOCKS

Heard an interesting take on pot investing today. "When, not if, pot becomes legal who can produce it the fastest? Cigarette companies already have the capacity and machinery, they just need to switch the stuff in their cigs. Buy Altria or British American Tobacco and get a 7% dividend while you wait"

Heard an interesting take on pot investing today. "When, not if, pot becomes legal who can produce it the fastest? Cigarette companies already have the capacity and machinery, they just need to switch the stuff in their cigs. Buy Altria or British American Tobacco and get a 7% dividend while you wait"

The talk decades ago was that Big Tobacco was already buying up the prime pot growing acreage. Of course now most commercial growing is indoors.

Double di
Substantively is it any different than a company buying its own stock?
Double dipping on fees? I thought Ark funds were pretty much investment specific.
Vanguard has funds that hold only other V funds. Target retirement funds. Lower fees though.

I think it's always pretty much been the case that the biggest investors in new industries are the existing players. Walmart and Target were not undone by online shopping. The biggest investors in fintech are the big banks (JPM in particular). The established car companies (Toyota and VW in particular) are investing huge in EV. There's an easy temptation to become starry-eyed by the new entrants, and some of those entrants will do well. But many of the existing players will benefit from it too.

I like the consumer defensive market to heat up soon, and one stock in particular I like in this market is $EAST. It's down roughly 50% from it's 52 week high and it's still has room left to recover from pre-COVID levels. There is also $STRA and $BGS in this market that pay a healthy dividend.

Took a flier yesterday in a small position in $RKDA at 2.30. Low floater that has a history of large spikes. Thought I would buy at the bottom and hope if would pay off within a month or two. Didn't even realize earnings were going to be reported after hours. It was up as high as 50% this morning. Not a bad way to start the morning.

Reactions: TC 83
I've had a Schwab account for years and I just realized they offer a credit card through American Express that puts 1.5% of every purchase into your account.

Not life-changing money, but a pretty cool thing for investors just starting out.
Damn, that's awesome. I had no idea. Adds up over time.

I've had a Schwab account for years and I just realized they offer a credit card through American Express that puts 1.5% of every purchase into your account.

Not life-changing money, but a pretty cool thing for investors just starting out.

I have a Schwab account too. As long as no fees, it sounds pretty good. I put over 22k on my credit card over the last 12 months (all paid off at the end of every month). That would be an extra $330 for my trading account I could have had over this time.

Granted, my United Rewards card is pretty good as well, so I've definitely received more than the value of that $330 I would have received from Scwabb. Considering how poorly first 6 months or trading went, it's probably a good thing I didn't have this, lol

Reactions: Kingston Vol

Cap 1 also has one. Free, 1.5%, accepted internationally with no fees, great exchange rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingston Vol
I like the consumer defensive market to heat up soon, and one stock in particular I like in this market is $EAST. It's down roughly 50% from it's 52 week high and it's still has room left to recover from pre-COVID levels. There is also $STRA and $BGS in this market that pay a healthy dividend.
Inflation? I like consumer staples; JNJ, CLX, COST. I never thought I would get excited about 1.9% on a 10 year bond.

Reactions: Carp
I have a Schwab account too. As long as no fees, it sounds pretty good. I put over 22k on my credit card over the last 12 months (all paid off at the end of every month). That would be an extra $330 for my trading account I could have had over this time.

Granted, my United Rewards card is pretty good as well, so I've definitely received more than the value of that $330 I would have received from Scwabb. Considering how poorly first 6 months or trading went, it's probably a good thing I didn't have this, lol
Acorns has gobbled up a ton of market share with the under 25 crowd by allowing "round-ups" from everyday purchases. It's a great idea.

I learned yesterday that Schwab and Fidelity both have credit card options - I believe both are 1.5% cash-back directly to your investment account. That's way better than round-ups assuming you make your credit card payments on time.

As far as other cards go, I don't do a lot of traveling so most of the high-end cards do nothing for me. I don't need airline points or hotel stays.

I have an Amazon Prime card through Chase that gives me 6% cash back on Amazon purchases and 3% on certain other purchases. I've also been considering a Walmart credit card through Capital One that gives 5% cash back on grocery and Walmart.com purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrorange211
I held KBR for about a decade and sold yesterday at $38.77. I might buy back half or a third if it pulls back harder. $37.09 right now.

I wish that there was a wash sale rule for gains. The tax code is so biased against the middle class.

I held KBR for about a decade and sold yesterday at $38.77. I might buy back half or a third if it pulls back harder. $37.09 right now.

I wish that there was a wash sale rule for gains. The tax code is so biased against the middle class.
Ha, you already know this, but "the tax code is not meant to be fair, it's meant to collect taxes".:confused:

Ha, you already know this, but "the tax code is not meant to be fair, it's meant to collect taxes".:confused:
I'd argue that it is designed even more to affect behavior/social engineering than it is to collect revenue. If it was primarily a revenue collection mechanism, then the tax code would be much simpler. Instead, it is defined by different tax treatment for doing (or not doing) certain things.

VN Store

Back