All things STOCKS

A lot of “ifs” here lol

Oh certainly. I'm not saying this is extremely likely, but it's not pie in the sky either. There's a decent chance those things happen, which could lead to some substantial market uncertainty (the market seems to already be reacting to this possibility). Especially given recent poll #'s for several key Senate races. Lindsey Graham is taking a beating on this Supreme Court nomination. He's getting out gained pretty substantially in campaign donations, which is never a good sign.

Not trying to make this political. Just my ramblings about the state of the market.

Oh certainly. I'm not saying this is extremely likely, but it's not pie in the sky either. There's a decent chance those things happen, which could lead to some substantial market uncertainty (the market seems to already be reacting to this possibility). Especially given recent poll #'s for several key Senate races. Lindsey Graham is taking a beating on this Supreme Court nomination. He's getting out gained pretty substantially in campaign donations, which is never a good sign.

Not trying to make this political. Just my ramblings about the state of the market.

In my line of work, I meet people from all over. Today alone, I’ve dealt with homeowners from Long Island, Southern California, and Canada. I typically spend about an hour with each client so certain topics get brought up nearly every conversation. If my sample is an accurate representation of the rest of the country, I can almost guarantee you that Trump wins this election by big numbers. Incontestable numbers.

In my line of work, I meet people from all over. Today alone, I’ve dealt with homeowners from Long Island, Southern California, and Canada. I typically spend about an hour with each client so certain topics get brought up nearly every conversation. If my sample is an accurate representation of the rest of the country, I can almost guarantee you that Trump wins this election by big numbers. Incontestable numbers.

Maybe the debates will change momentum. But as of now, Biden is polling considerably better than HRC did at the same time in 2016, particularly in a few key swing states that Trump narrowly won.

Maybe the debates will change momentum. But as of now, Biden is polling considerably better than HRC did at the same time in 2016, particularly in a few key swing states that Trump narrowly won.
Those polls are about like asking the state of Tennessee who will win the football national championship in August. Reality sinks in after the first game lol

So, in your "poll", you are basing your findings on discussions with residents of a red state (South Carolina) or discussions with people that enough $$$ to have a 2nd home in a resort beach community (those people tend to be overwhelmingly Republican)....

You are an outlier, the republicans believe its the devils lettuce and are in deep with big pharm and oil. They will take it to their grave.
You are very out of touch with the rank and file. Certainly, politicians are a different category, because some people pay real money. Pharma has more real money than anybody anywhere. But big pharma doesn't pay me. I'm where they are getting their money from. In any case, everybody I know has come around on marijuana. I don't think I know anybody that doesn't want it legalized.

Reactions: Carp
So, in your "poll", you are basing your findings on discussions with residents of a red state (South Carolina) or discussions with people that enough $$$ to have a 2nd home in a resort beach community (those people tend to be overwhelmingly Republican)....
Partly true. A lot of the people I deal with have relocated permanently. Some due to retirement, others left NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc.. because of the high taxes. One client today told me their property tax bill in Long Island was $18,000 per year, compared to $1800 a year in Pawleys Island, SC. But more times than not, that conversation is followed by a dig at the current political climate and how they don’t agree with the democratic mayors/governors/etc..

Prior to 2016, I was under the impression all the yanks were Dems...but I can tell you that is absolutely not the case.

Partly true. A lot of the people I deal with have relocated permanently. Some due to retirement, others left NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc.. because of the high taxes. One client today told me their property tax bill in Long Island was $18,000 per year, compared to $1800 a year in Pawleys Island, SC. But more times than not, that conversation is followed by a dig at the current political climate and how they don’t agree with the democratic mayors/governors/etc..

Prior to 2016, I was under the impression all the yanks were Dems...but I can tell you that is absolutely not the case.
Political differences aren't really north/south; it's city/rural.

If you live in a rural area, no matter what part of the country, odds are you're a conservative.

Reactions: Carp and DixieVol
One client today told me their property tax bill in Long Island was $18,000 per year,
18k is really cheap for LI. Property tax rates are somewhere around 3% in most parts around there. Not uncommon to see property taxes over 30k. Honestly this goes for most metropolitan areas in the Northeast.

You are very out of touch with the rank and file. Certainly, politicians are a different category, because some people pay real money. Pharma has more real money than anybody anywhere. But big pharma doesn't pay me. I'm where they are getting their money from. In any case, everybody I know has come around on marijuana. I don't think I know anybody that doesn't want it legalized.

Ok, lol. I know that republicans will NEVER make it legal. Come down to the bible belt and fire one up, see what happens.

Ok, lol. I know that republicans will NEVER make it legal. Come down to the bible belt and fire one up, see what happens.

It's true that politicians do tend to vote the way their donors tell them. But that changes when public opinion changes and these politicians are forced to make a decision or risk losing re-election. Which is why you see more gun laws passed after school shootings, more oil regulations after oil spills, etc. Public opinion on marijuana has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. People are seeing the revenues it is creating for states like Colorado and it's making them 2nd guess their stance. Also, while it's just my opinion, I think what we're seeing now with BLM is the beginning of another sort of civil rights movement. Non-violent drug related crimes combined with inevitable changes to our police departments are already hot topic issues that I believe will likely lead to decriminalization of marijuana.

Last edited:
Those polls are about like asking the state of Tennessee who will win the football national championship in August. Reality sinks in after the first game lol

Lol, that's cold. The 2016 polls weren't quite as wrong as most people tend to believe. HRC did win the popular vote by about 2% compared to the average polling lead of 3.3%. The polls in key swing states are what were off, but even still, Trump narrowly won these states, with an average margin of less than 1%.

What is more telling, imo, is how many people generally disliked both candidates in 2016, leading to a lot of undecided voters prior to the election. Imo, the country wasn't nearly as divided politically as it is today.

Anyways, back on topic of stocks, the market has been **** in Sept. Seems like SPACS are the hot trend and all the retail investors are moving all of their money into these. The only stock that has me green currently is PINS. This thing is just a beast. I really need a bigger position in this, but I don't have any available funds currently. I've got a bad habit of trading stocks for losses only to see them rocket a couple weeks after I sell. So I'm trying to practice patience and not to sell during a market downtrend. But I'm doing a fairly solid job of staying away from penny stocks recently. I did get into EDNT recently on a longer swing play, but it's a low float that tends to shoot up 20%-30% or more from time to time.

Last edited:
Also, while it's probably a risky investment given recent bankruptcy concerns and rising COVID cases, the chart on $PLAY looks pretty amazing. It keeps bouncing off the major trend line. If they can stay afloat until a vaccine is available, there is a bunch of money to be made on this stock.

It's true that politicians due tend to vote the way their donors tell them. But that changes when public opinion changes and these politicians are forced to make a decision or risk losing re-election. Which is why you see more gun laws passed after school shootings, more oil regulations after oil spills, etc. Public opinion on marijuana has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. People are seeing the revenues it is creating for states like Colorado and it's making them 2nd guess their stance. Also, while it's just my opinion, I think what we're seeing now with BLM is the beginning of another sort of civil rights movement. Non-violent drug related crimes combined with inevitable changes to our police departments are already hot topic issues that I believe will likely lead to decriminalization of marijuana.

I like your optimism as a proud marijuana owner and diehard libertarian, I would love to see that come to pass.

Reactions: Carp
@VolAllen Just want to make sure. As long as I’m holding MFA on 29 SEP, it will still pay the dividend in November if I sell on 30 SEP? Or do I have to hold it through the dividend pay period?

Reactions: VolAllen

VN Store

Back