All things STOCKS

Wish this thread was more active. Would love daily/intra day talks. I've been in a stocks discord for a while but its cancer

Agreed. Life changing opportunities are ahead. I'll post more often. I'm not even really bothering with any technical analysis for swing trades at this point. Really I'm just playing sentiment until market volatility cools off. Wanted to give you a shot out earlier. I grabbed a bunch of F puts on Monday at a $5 strike price with a 4/17 expiration. UAW comes out today demanding a shutdown of the big 3 plants, so while the market pumps, F goes red.

My biggest shorts are in the junk bond space. HYG and JNK are the junk bond ETF's I'm most heavily leveraged against this asset class at the moment, and this one play has helped offset some of the pain I've seen in the portfolios I'm not actively managing. I'm playing a put spread strategy where I'm selling ITM puts and buying more OTM puts at lower strike prices. When these zombie companies start going bankrupt, you're going to see a massive liquidity crisis.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
What y'all think of Five Below (FIVE)?

Consumer retail with physical locations? Short it. Commercial economic activity as we know it is on the verge of coming to a complete halt. If you feel the need for exposure to retail with physical locations, WMT would be a play based off their emerging presence in retail, along with their coordination with HHS on response to corona. If I wanted long exposure to retail, I'd pick up shares of AMZN.

Agreed. Life changing opportunities are ahead. I'll post more often. I'm not even really bothering with any technical analysis for swing trades at this point. Really I'm just playing sentiment until market volatility cools off. Wanted to give you a shot out earlier. I grabbed a bunch of F puts on Monday at a $5 strike price with a 4/17 expiration. UAW comes out today demanding a shutdown of the big 3 plants, so while the market pumps, F goes red.

My biggest shorts are in the junk bond space. HYG and JNK are the junk bond ETF's I'm most heavily leveraged against this asset class at the moment, and this one play has helped offset some of the pain I've seen in the portfolios I'm not actively managing. I'm playing a put spread strategy where I'm selling ITM puts and buying more OTM puts at lower strike prices. When these zombie companies start going bankrupt, you're going to see a massive liquidity crisis.
Nice! I’m playing PLUG puts the rest of the week. Got in Monday thinking sell offs tomorrow and Thursday. Hoping to cash out +144% or above.

Yes I’ve been in and out of all these options in 1-2 days. It’s really just a for fun account.

Options strategies are really interesting because once you get deep ITM options that have low theta values, you can enter more positions on the long and short side since your already hedged. I don't really play more advanced strategies like strangles or iron condors, but I will go long and short at different strike prices, closing out both positions at the same time so I keep the premium. This is best done when you see huge spikes in implied volatility. You're seeing a ton of IV right now in the financials and bond markets. SPY there's a heavy premium, but the plays to make are buying puts 20%-40% out on the cheap, then flipping immediately when the IV spikes and options writers strike driving up the premium with huge bid ask spreads.

Consumer retail with physical locations? Short it. Commercial economic activity as we know it is on the verge of coming to a complete halt. If you feel the need for exposure to retail with physical locations, WMT would be a play based off their emerging presence in retail, along with their coordination with HHS on response to corona. If I wanted long exposure to retail, I'd pick up shares of AMZN.

Absolutely 1000% agree in short term. I typically am buy and long term hold so I'm trying to look for new positions to consider adding in (hopefully) next 8-12 weeks as country moves out of panic stage and into fighting out of the inevitable recession.

Looks like the market flip-flopping is continuing this morning, down about 5%. Looks like the SP has bounced a couple of times off that 2386 level.

Massive dump incoming. Financials are getting wrecked. Citigroup in particular. I'm very short on banks with toxic balance sheets. C and WFC are a couple short candidates

Critical support broke on the Dow Jones, 19,677 broke. There's nothing until 18,632. We're just dollars away from the circuit breaker.

@Big Gucci Sosa shoot me an invite to your discord if it's active

2300 on SPX is about to go. After that goes, DIA is going to sell off hard.

@Big Gucci Sosa - Ping me on discord. Enter @DR in that chat and you'll see my avatar. I've got the Power T on discord.

Cyber security providers, anti-virus, cloud, and broadband companies will soar after the bottom is established. They've been kind of boring for a few years, but with working at home getting a boast they'll do great.

Security:
NortonLifeLock NLOK
Palo Alto PANW
FireEye FEYE
HACK (ETF)
CIBR (ETF)

Other:
Splunk SPLK
Cisco CSCO
Akamai AKAM
SKYY (cloud ETF)

Last edited:
I am interested in learning about stocks and everything financial since I have totally ignored these crucially important things up to this point in my life. Anyone willing to offer up some advice on how to begin to educate myself. I have watched a few YouTube vids but feel there must be be sources of info.

I am interested in learning about stocks and everything financial since I have totally ignored these crucially important things up to this point in my life. Anyone willing to offer up some advice on how to begin to educate myself. I have watched a few YouTube vids but feel there must be be sources of info.
How old are you? Also, how much cash do you have on hand to enter the market.

How old are you? Also, how much cash do you have on hand to enter the market.
In my 40's, looking to start small, 1k most likely. Thinking of it as a savings account with some safe investments and none of the fees of a typical 401k. I am just starting to look into this so I am wide open for suggestions and info.

Charles Schwab would be a good broker to start with. They have people in physical locations and 24/7 phone support. Their physical offices might be closed right now and if not will be soon.

There's a lot that you can learn by reading Investopedia dot com, Yahoo Finance, and the Motley Fool. Also Schwab almost certainly has links on their website for "Education".

You can open an account at Schwab and park your money in a very safe investment like a money market fund (that will pay you close to zero interest) but then you can explore their education links. Once you get a hang of the basics you can learn more on their "Research" links.

Then you can ask any questions on anything, basic or advanced, in this thread. There's a sister thread in the Politics Forum but it's more about the general economic conditions and politics and how current events are affecting investments.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back