All things STOCKS

I'll bet that Hedge Funds love the herd mentality of individual investors in stocks that have crashed. I think that most sitting on a loss sell when they get back to even which holds the price down. They fall quickly, but rebound slowly (except for the great names that everybody, fund managers especially, want to own). Personally, I can't stomach going short. I take on enough risk with margin.

An investment that falls 50% has to go up 100% to get back to even.

Buy high, sell low, is how smart money takes retail money every time

I'll bet that Hedge Funds love the herd mentality of individual investors in stocks that have crashed. I think that most sitting on a loss sell when they get back to even which holds the price down. They fall quickly, but rebound slowly (except for the great names that everybody, fund managers especially, want to own). Personally, I can't stomach going short. I take on enough risk with margin.

An investment that falls 50% has to go up 100% to get back to even.
My short exposure is almost exclusively through put options. I've been executing puts against GameStop (GME) over the past month. The day of options expiration on Friday my 6.00 puts (and other ITM puts) kicked in with a big gap down. I'm extremely bearish on that company. They're already RadioShack, the market hasn't accepted that reality due to Michael Burry

Last edited:
Bingo. I’ll use PRTY as an example.

Crashed from $6 down to 2.40, then to 2, then to 1.60ish. I bought in at 1.80. When it hit 1.95, I set my stop loss to 1.85 to secure some profits. I then set a buy order at 1.65. Just in case it crashed back to the original “bottom”, I’d have secured profits and then had my original amount of shares back but at a lower average. In this case, it never crashed back, so I bump my SL up as the price increases. I believe my current stop is at 2.20. If it hits 2.50 this week, I’ll bump up to 2.35.

I believe this stock hits 3-3.50 before the next earnings. Q4 is typically their best, but I won’t hold through earnings.

I didn't really think it through. Really don't need a conditional buy order that's triggered by an event (stop loss executed). Could just set up a stop loss sell (limit price, not at market) order and a second limit order to buy at a lower price. That would slice off a piece of the loss if the price continues to drop. But also unfortunately prevents owning (at the lower cost) if the price bottoms between the 2 orders and shoots back up. Also, if it was a LT gain, it's been reset back to a ST position.

My short exposure is almost exclusively through put options. I've been executing puts against GameStop (GME) over the past month. The day of options expiration on Friday my 6.00 puts (and other ITM puts) kicked in with a big gap down. I'm extremely bearish on that company. They're already RadioShack, the market hasn't accepted that reality due to Michael Burry

If I'm short, it's by being long in an inverse sector or market ETF (FAZ). I don't like owning options since they lose value over time (and go to zero). Next time I'm involved in options (if I'm involved at all) it will be selling covered calls or selling calls on something that I would like to own.

Kind of risky owning Game Stop puts over the holiday gift season. Their stores must be dead zones.

I miss Radio Shack. I could use a phone charger adapter.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Wikipedia:

Until 2004, RadioShack routinely asked for the name and address of purchasers so they could be added to mailing lists.
I was in Belk before Christmas a d bought som e perfume. The sales clerk said "what's your email address?" I told her no thanks.
She said "Smart, you would have an email before you got out of the store".

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I’m holding small bags 💼 in 2 bio pharmaceutical company’s and one tech company.
250% gains last Thursday and Friday.
over 450 million in volume Last Thursday on the tech company alone. I hope 2020 is a great year.

DIS is a POS

It was up 31.9% last year and is just $6 off its all time high. You must have bought high to say that.

Disney Stock Rose to New Heights as Investors Bought Its Streaming Vision in 2019

Disney stock gained 31.9% in 2019—ahead of its media competitors’ stocks and the broader market. The Dow Jones Industrial Average returned 22%. Discovery (DISCA) and Netflix stocks climbed 32% and 20.9%, respectively, while ViacomCBS (VIAC) lost 4% and AMC Networks (AMCX) fell 41%.

Thunder and others: any opinion on the distilled spirits industries, Brown-Foreman and Midwest Grain Producers Incorporated?

I think they're great. Recurring revenue business models. I like to look at the brands. BF = Jack Daniel.

I'm not sure, Constellation might be beer and wine and not so much liquor, but their investment in Canadian weed is a great idea IMO. I've wanted to buy it for years, but it always seemed expensive. I might buy it for the long haul at some point this year or the next.

Diageo seems like a good company. Seagrams was a couple of decades ago. I hadn't heard of Midwest Grain but I'm going to check it out. I'm not much of a drinker. I go to a golf tournament every year and sometimes drink a beer or 2. That's about it.

I really haven't done a lot of reading on the industry recently. It's the kind of investment worth talking to bartenders about. Hundreds, if not thousands, of brands. I'd belly up on a slow night at a busy place and pick their brain about what they pour a lot of. Or talk to the fellers at Total Wine (private company).

Sin is good business. I think that gambling stocks might take off, if they haven't yet. I can't remember if the big SCOTUS ruling was a year ago or 2 years ago. It may not be long before every stadium is a gambling venue. I've owned International Gaming Tech a few times. Always made money in it.

I wonder if any ho houses go public at some point? I believe that the IRS ran one for a while (the Bunny Ranch?).

Last edited:
Great. Thanks. A few years ago, I wondered whether the interest in bourbon and whisky was just a temporary fad; I no longer think that is the case. I have my own preferences but asking bartenders what is selling is a good idea.

MGPI is tiny compared to Brown Forman but a few of their brands (Angels Envy) are higher priced, well known brands.

MGPI also is a supplier to Diageo. Growing that relationship would be highly lucrative. There's probably some good stuff in their SEC filings.

VN Store

Back