All things STOCKS

None of us are able to withstand the liability of recommending funds. So this is not a recommendation. Passive index funds generally win. That's just a simple fact. If you're at fidelity, they have some zero expense funds:
FZROX total market
FZIPX mid to small cap
FZILX outside US

There is a 4th one, but it'll perform like FZROX

If you're not at fidelity, there is such a thing as a basic 3 fund portfolio that looks like this:
US stocks index fund
Outside US Stocks index fund
Bonds index fund

If a person was going to add a 4th, you'd probably add a small company index fund.

If you don't want bonds, you could probably add a "value" US company index fund in place of the bonds.
Not investing advice to others but I personally really like Sprott metals funds as a asymmetrical safety net. It gives me a lot of security you’re not seeing in stocks and bonds right now bc of Central Bank missteps. You still need growth, yield, and inflation hedging from other sources and that’s why I really like the advice Firebird has posted. Generally you can get that exposure from the more vanilla offerings you’ll see from your 401k.

NVO and LLY are continuing to hit it out of the park with these weight loss injections. Insurance is paying for many. April report should be strong for both. Less sure on Eli Lilly than Novo Nordisk

I learned a lot of basics from Ramsey back 30+ years ago. I was onto him early.

But, the over the top point of view on religion will probably be his undoing.
Check out the money guy show. Local Nashville area guys who have a more intelligent and mathematically sound approach than Dave. They have a great financial order of operations you can view for free that makes more sense than Dave’s baby steps. Unless you have zero financial/budgeting acumen and/or self-control. In which case I’d say go with Dave first.

Check out the money guy show. Local Nashville area guys who have a more intelligent and mathematically sound approach than Dave. They have a great financial order of operations you can view for free that makes more sense than Dave’s baby steps. Unless you have zero financial/budgeting acumen and/or self-control. In which case I’d say go with Dave first.
Yes. Dave is really just common sense. But, he re-enforced self control in my early 20’s age.

Reactions: UTFanHades
I learned a lot of basics from Ramsey back 30+ years ago. I was onto him early.

But, the over the top point of view on religion will probably be his undoing.

He also got outed for touting a timeshare exit company that turned out to be a total sham. F that dude.

Ramsey is great for people who need scorched-earth budgeting and/or people who, frankly, are idiots with money. He tackles financial issues from an emotional/psychological and not really mathematical perspective. He has an irrational aversion to debt, which I'm sure comes from his personal experience mismanaging it when he was younger.

If you have any level of financial sophistication or just self-discipline, he doesn't offer the best advice, IMO. It certainly isn't bad advice; you sure as hell won't go broke if you listen to him, but it isn't the best advice. He certainly is not (and as far as I know, doesn't claim to be) an investing expert. In fact a lot of the counsel he gives around investing are some of his worst takes.

NVO and LLY are continuing to hit it out of the park with these weight loss injections. Insurance is paying for many. April report should be strong for both. Less sure on Eli Lilly than Novo Nordisk
Yeah, I own both, and on most days when everything else is down they are still up a little. LLY scares me though. Not confident of their pipeline. Regeneron seems to be in on a lot of our future drugs. Their futue has been bright for several years now.
I'm ready to go to more ETFs.

Reactions: tbh
If I want to divide a regular monthly IRA automatic investment in mutual funds into 4 equal parts , which funds would you guys recommend?

I’d stick with a single company so that the style of each fund is more easily defined and there wouldn’t be unintentional duplication.

Vanguard, Schwab, or Fidelity would be good options. I’d go with Vanguard as Schwab has crossed over with banking and could face problems raising capital. Fidelity is privately owned by the Johnson family. I like Vanguard as it is a not-for-profit that is mutually owned by and for the benefit of the clients. Any profits by the organization would be used to reduce the fees charged to clients that are embedded in each fund.

I’d see if they have funds that track the NASDAQ 100, Dow Jones 30, S&P 500, and an international fund that doesn’t exclude US based companies. Maybe substitute the DJ fund with a dividend themed or income themed fund. In about a year the bond funds should be more attractive. Right now I’d avoid them until interest rates are at their probable peak. A fixed income fund will incorporate some bond exposure. Another alternative is to include a year of retirement targeted fund.

Check that the management fees are low (under 0.5% or even under 0.25%). Also avoid a fund that is small. It should be about $100 million plus of assets under management.

Mutual Funds and Vanguard are nearly synonymous. Most fund managers have been moving toward Exchange Traded Funds which are generally purchased by a number of shares rather than a number of dollars.

Last edited:
I’d stick with a single company so that the style of each fund is more easily defined and there wouldn’t be unintentional duplication.

Vanguard, Schwab, or Fidelity would be good options. I’d go with Vanguard as Schwab has crossed over with banking and could face problems raising capital. Fidelity is privately owned by the Johnson family. I like Vanguard as it is a not-for-profit that is mutually owned by and for the benefit of the clients. Any profits by the organization would be used to reduce the fees charged to clients that are embedded in each fund.

I’d see if they have funds that track the NASDAQ 100, Dow Jones 30, S&P 500, and an international fund that doesn’t exclude US based companies. Maybe substitute the DJ fund with a dividend themed or income themed fund. In about a year the bond funds should be more attractive. Right now I’d avoid them until interest rates are at their probably peak. A fixed income fund will incorporate some bond exposure. Another alternative is to include a year of retirement targeted fund.

Check that the management fees are low (under 0.5% or even under 0.25%). Also avoid a fund that is small. It should be about $100 million plus of assets under management.

Mutual Funds and Vanguard are nearly synonymous. Most fund managers have been moving toward Exchange Traded Funds which are generally purchased by a number of shares rather than a number of dollars.
Great post.
I think predicting interest rates is more difficult than predicting future stock prices. at least with stocks the future is typically up over longer periods time.
One might buy short term maturity bonds(2 yr and less) now if they want bonds. CDs are Paying 5% at VG.
I started buying CDs at 3% and the last CDs(FDIC insured) I bought pays 5.4%. The yeild has dropped since SVB so I'm waiting for the yeild to go up(as you say).

Last edited:
Reactions: UTFanHades
I don’t plan to adjust my top individual equity holdings anytime soon.

1) LMT
2) HD
3) IBM
4) KR
5) MCD
6) BLK
7) BX
8) MLM
9) NVDA

I have good reasons for keeping each of them.

I might add to industrials, transports, defense, staples, health care. and PE/HF/money managers.

For example WM, CSX, APO, BX, etc. Probably defense, healthcare, transportation/industrial themed ETFs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange.
The general theme that I am expecting over the next half to full generation is to reduce dependency on China and far away links in the supply chain. So I’m not too excited about having a significant percentage of my personal capital based outside of the US. Even with the deficits and debt there are huge advantages over the rest of the world. Younger demographics than our nearest peers. Friendly, resource rich neighbor to the north (and Alaska). The work force and value added manufacturing of our southern neighbor. World leader in agriculture, high finance, and health care innovation. The river system. The ports. The railroads. The interstate system. The defense systems. The Atlantic and Pacific moats. The energy reserves.

Reactions: Orange. and tbh
Oh, old school.

Do you have a listing of coins? That's probably what he would want to see. I think he shops at eBay, etc.
I will probably make a listing and look at their value, but i suspect that with 600-800(possibly 1000) coins that will not be in the near future. But if I get bored I might get started. I am not accustomed to making the call on the quality/condition of each coin.
I suspect my father collected these for the value of the silver in them. From what I've read junk dimes are worth about $1.50 each for the silver in them.
Thanks for asking about them.

"People are saying" they've already peaked, on the longer end. Obviously the short stuff could go up a bit more.
That's no opinion, that's a fact. They peaked in October and that's obvious for anybody that simply looks. They might peak again, someday, even higher, nobody has a time machine. I feel safe saying the overall market expectation is not right now. The doomsayers that get all the headlines are predicting stock and economy doom like they always do, which will drive bond prices way up (and yields down). You can't get many clicks by predicting bond doom.

That's no opinion, that's a fact. They peaked in October and that's obvious for anybody that simply looks. They might peak again, someday, even higher, nobody has a time machine. I feel safe saying the overall market expectation is not right now. The doomsayers that get all the headlines are predicting stock and economy doom like they always do, which will drive bond prices way up (and yields down). You can't get many clicks by predicting bond doom.

I will promise you that someday it will peak at a higher level.

Merely a question of time. May be 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years, 3 decades.

Reactions: Go aeiou

VN Store

Back