All things STOCKS

So far, Europe is having a warm winter which has foiled Putin's plans to bring Germany to its knees via Nordstream

Russia needs hard winter freezes to get to their oil reserves. When it’s warm it’s too mushy to get their heavy equipment out to their wells. But hopefully Western Europe has been getting weened off of their petro crack from Russia. Not needing as much heating helps for sure.

Long shot...does anybody here follow Biogen?

On Friday afternoon. they received a FDA approval.

Would have thought BIIB soaring this morning, but not the case

Ha, I put in a buy order for more CVX this morning. Same thoughts. Probably paying too much?

Probably not a bad idea if you are looking for something to hold for many years.

Read an article this weekend about how much more it costs to build an EV vs traditional car. Unless the tree huggers win out, I think we will continue to utilize huge amounts of oil for many decades to come.

Long shot...does anybody here follow Biogen?

On Friday afternoon. they received a FDA approval.

Would have thought BIIB soaring this morning, but not the case

I’d go with ABBV. The big dog. Maybe an ETF such as XBI. One of those for a LT hold.

I think I’d get burned trading pharma. Although I’ve played with LABU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax_Vol
Ha, I put in a buy order for more CVX this morning. Same thoughts. Probably paying too much?

It’s a fair price IMO. Oil was probably punished too much during the EV mania that also over inflated TSLA. CVX will make money no matter what path the energy consumption takes. They probably sell enough NG to power generators to off set anything they’re losing with greenies attacks on internal combustion.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Saw an industry headline that ammonia prices are under further downward pressure. It's still about double what it should be. There seems to have been a near miss with a famine, and barring further developments, the near miss is over and while food is expensive, at least the fertilizer part of the cost peaked last spring. I held MOS at times this past year, and also did a wheel trade with CF. Both trading right now at a PE of 5 which is saying everybody is in agreement the crisis is over.

I owned academy sports (rather than Dick's) a couple years ago. I forget why I ever bought it. It's doubled since May 25, but I sold it a long time ago.

I see retailers as pretty dangerous, generally (heck, I avoid going through their doors) but they've gone up a ton over the last 10 years or so and I really don't get it. it's just an area where my expectations don't match the world. Fidelity Select Retail is typically one of their top performers when you pull the screener up and look at the highest 10 year performance.

Getting back to the defense contractors being discounted, I don't pay much attention, but I see where Northrop has a contract to build the B-21, a whole fleet. Canada just got approval to replace their fighters with the F-35 from Lockheed. Seems positive. Northrop has really tanked.

Getting back to the defense contractors being discounted, I don't pay much attention, but I see where Northrop has a contract to build the B-21, a whole fleet. Canada just got approval to replace their fighters with the F-35 from Lockheed. Seems positive. Northrop has really tanked.

Haven't followed the story super closely. However, think I hear the news say...

In order for McCarthy to get elected as the majority of the Speaker of House, he agreed to help carve some off the DoD budget.

If that is true, it would explain the broad selloff. Since the Ukraine war started, I track 6-8 of them. They are all down. For most part, they move somewhat together. No clue why NCO is leading pack today.

For 2023, I still think Defense is a good place to put part of money. Foreign Military Sales are slow moving contracts. But, if I'm a country bordering Russia, I would be stockpiling the large RTX / LMT type 'army' weapons. Stingers, Javelin, MLRS, GLMRS, etc.

VN Store

Back