All things STOCKS

I found a Twitter spaces discussion from the end of July. And if that's indeed him, even assuming he had staff who put together a lot of the information, it's still rather impressive that a 20-y-o can rattle through all the numbers and disclaimers the way he did.

Initially I was going to try to use the Wheel Strategy. I’m not doing that at all right now. I might be doing a modified version of it - I’m looking at either side separately instead of systematically executing one option trade as soon as the other executes.

What is the Wheel Strategy in Options Trading? - OptionsPlay
I don't see that it really has to be the same for everybody. You can essentially play it so that you are likely to get assigned, or that you aren't, and all that gradient in between. In the case that you're wrong, of course, you don't really care all that much. And then too, if you never get assigned, it never becomes the wheel.

This begs the question, and I've been asking it for 2 years, why does selling options appeal to me rather than buying them? I don't know, but I'd like to know what my bias is. I almost never buy one.

I don't see that it really has to be the same for everybody. You can essentially play it so that you are likely to get assigned, or that you aren't, and all that gradient in between. In the case that you're wrong, of course, you don't really care all that much. And then too, if you never get assigned, it never becomes the wheel.

This begs the question, and I've been asking it for 2 years, why does selling options appeal to me rather than buying them? I don't know, but I'd like to know what my bias is. I almost never buy one.

The same for everyone? My own approach hasn’t been the same week to week. I’ll be doing something different in a different environment. I might even go long calls at some point, which I have little interest in ATM.

What I read with the wheel was to immediately flip on the exact same underlying stock. What I am doing is to look at selling puts or calls (on anything) based on the most recent moves in the underlying security.

I’ve got my eye on NVDA this morning. I sold the 8/19 180 put. I almost added the 182.5 for 8/26 (glad I held off).
$183.35 close
$182.90 bid
$183.14 ask

I’d buy puts if I was extremely, heavily overweighted with a single name. For a bit of a hedge. Otherwise, that is the least appealing of the 4 positions to me. I like the 2 sell positions to replace limit orders to buy or sell shares of stock/ETFs. Although I haven’t noticed real attractive ETFs yet - maybe their diversification makes the volatility premiums slight. I scanned through VTI and it looked pretty quiet.

I’d buy puts if I was extremely, heavily overweighted with a single name. For a bit of a hedge. Otherwise, that is the least appealing of the 4 positions to me. I like the 2 sell positions to replace limit orders to buy or sell shares of stock/ETFs. Although I haven’t noticed real attractive ETFs yet - maybe their diversification makes the volatility premiums slight. I scanned through VTI and it looked pretty quiet.
You know, I'm horribly overweighted with UCTT right now, and when it tanked yesterday, I just bought more. I couldn't help myself. Couldn't wait until Friday. It just seems like I am holding more and more stuff that's going all over the place.

In happier news, it looks like these 8/19 112 and 113 AMAT short calls we were talking about are going to be great. Holding options through earnings is just part of the excitement, I guess.

You know, I'm horribly overweighted with UCTT right now, and when it tanked yesterday, I just bought more. I couldn't help myself. Couldn't wait until Friday. It just seems like I am holding more and more stuff that's going all over the place.

In happier news, it looks like these 8/19 112 and 113 AMAT short calls we were talking about are going to be great. Holding options through earnings is just part of the excitement, I guess.

I just put in a limit to try to close the NVDA 8/19 put for $0.18. It’s at $0.33 right now. It might be worth making it a market order just to clear it out. Not much profit left and it could quickly disappear. $187ish stock price ATM.

I’m also trying to sell the AMAT 8/19 112 call. But it’s been falling for the last 30 minutes. Stock is $108.50. The option is still $1 plus though.

If I was to get way over weighted long on a stock right now, it might be AAPL or AMZN. Possibly MSFT. Or Berkshire Hathaway since it’s practically a diversified fund.

Stocks that Bill Gates owns or has owned recently:

MSFT (surprisingly not a whole lot)
ON
WM
MSGS
WEBR
ECO
UPS
FDX
GOOG/GOOGL
DE
CAT
CNI
TV
BRK/B
WMT
CCI
KOF
CPNG
SDGR
SAFM

Reactions: tbh
AMAT treating you good AH

I wasn’t able to sell the 8/19 $112 call (started at $1.42 and dropped it to $1.25 in the final hour). Might be lucky that I didn’t. AMAT closed around $108.25 and is already $3 higher in the after hours session. I can still try to sell the 8/26 covered calls - doubt that I’ll mess with the 8/19 tomorrow.

AMAT beats! I am not thrilled about selling so I'm thinking I will roll if necessary. I don't think it'll be necessary.

I thought $1+ for the 112 was pretty rich for an option expiring in 1 day, but I couldn't sell one, because I already had sold the 113. Of course the price can do whatever it wants tomorrow, but I am pretty skeptical about price going up that much. Often as not, you beat on earnings and they go down.

I do need to sell something. I am a little bit in the hole and paying margin. I think of myself as having a certain account full of play money, but sometimes I get tempted to do more play than I have money.

I think I was real fortunate with the AMAT 112 call sell limit not executing. If I had sold the call at $1.42 and lost the shares for $112 I’d have $113.42/share. Now I should be able to sell the 8/26 call for a few dollars and go with the 113, 114, 115, or more. I’ll probably sell 8/26 covered calls in the first hour tomorrow. Maybe come out ahead a few hundred dollars better per contract/lot.

The 8/19 AMAT 112 C might still be in play (to sell). The AMAT spread is $110.20 - $110.50 ATM. $108.27 close. Unless the entire market surges I don’t think AMAT hits $112 tomorrow.

I just noticed that QQQ has options expiring on Monday (8/22) and Wednesday (8/24) as well as Friday (8/26). How long has this sorcery been going on?

VN Store

Back