All things STOCKS

Yeah it’s a bit of a stinker
Disney is a long play. OK dividend and pretty stable growth. The parks print money and they can raise prices every year with no decrease in demand. They produce content that sells very well. Mine’s up about 6% a year since I bought it.

Disney is a long play. OK dividend and pretty stable growth. The parks print money and they can raise prices every year with no decrease in demand. They produce content that sells very well. Mine’s up about 6% a year since I bought it.
Wait until the economy rolls over. $75 breakfasts with Mickey go away when household budgets tighten.

Why Twitter? It’s a do nothing negative stock

I've traded it a few times over the last couple of years. Traded +10%, +8%, and -1%. I have my stops set, and I'll be out when it hits either 27.5 or 32. It seems to have found a bottom on the one month, and I think it could move higher in the next month or so.

If I was to short stocks, Peleton would be near the top of my watch list. They are spending a fortune on goofy commercials. Are there that many people interested in subscribing to that thing at $60/month? Most gym memberships are less than that. I guess women might love the concept. It looks stupid to me.

If I was to short stocks, Peleton would be near the top of my watch list. They are spending a fortune on goofy commercials. Are there that many people interested in subscribing to that thing at $60/month? Most gym memberships are less than that. I guess women might love the concept. It looks stupid to me.
I don’t quite understand “shorting”..

Can you explain it to me?

I don’t quite understand “shorting”..

Can you explain it to me?

Brokers allow you to borrow shares of stock so you can sell the shares even though you don't own the shares. You have to eventually buy those shares later to settle up by "repaying" the shares that you had borrowed. It's a bet that the value of the shares will decline during the time that you are short. To put it another way, it's just reversing the order of the typical buying and then later selling of a security. When you short the stock you also have to pay margin interest on the value of the stock while you are short. It's very risky as your potential return is capped at the initial short, selling price yet the loss is theoretically unlimited if the value of the shorted stock were to rise.

A less risky method to bet on a stock going down in value is to buy "put" stock options on that stock. Your loss is capped at your purchase price of the PUT option. Stock options expire at a certain date and often are worthless at that point in time. There are 2 basic options. A PUT is an option to sell a security and a CALL is an option to buy. You can buy or sell either type so there are 4 possible positions to take with stock options. There are guys in here that use options all of the time and can go into a lot more detail than I can.

Brokers allow you to borrow shares of stock so you can sell the shares even though you don't own the shares. You have to eventually buy those shares later to settle up by "repaying" the shares that you had borrowed. It's a bet that the value of the shares will decline during the time that you are short. To put it another way, it's just reversing the order of the typical buying and then later selling of a security. When you short the stock you also have to pay margin interest on the value of the stock while you are short. It's very risky as your potential return is capped at the initial short, selling price yet the loss is theoretically unlimited if the value of the shorted stock were to rise.

A less risky method to bet on a stock going down in value is to buy "put" stock options on that stock. Your loss is capped at your purchase price of the PUT option. Stock options expire at a certain date and often are worthless at that point in time. There are 2 basic options. A PUT is an option to sell a security and a CALL is an option to buy. You can buy or sell either type so there are 4 possible positions to take with stock options. There are guys in here that use options all of the time and can go into a lot more detail than I can.

Thanks for that info! I always see “burn the shorts” and all that, but never really got it. I keep it simple, buy, and sell when it’s higher than when I bought lol.

Reactions: Obsessed
Thanks for that info! I always see “burn the shorts” and all that, but never really got it. I keep it simple, buy, and sell when it’s higher than when I bought lol.

Also there's the "short squeeze". If a stock is heavily shorted and goes up, then the shorts can all start buying to cover their position which drives the stock price up even more.

Many investors dislike those shorting, but they can actually help markets by increasing the volume of transactions.

Investopedia.com is a good place to start when you come across an unfamiliar concept or terminology.

What is after hours trading? Is it indicative of what to expect the next day of trading?

What is after hours trading? Is it indicative of what to expect the next day of trading?

Matching of limit orders after the major stock exchanges have closed their trading sessions for the day. Usually not a lot of volume. Much of it might come from sharks gobbling up small retail customers that had limit orders set up allowing after hours trades. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that those orders are subject to price improvements since after hours matches limit orders. I rarely participate, others should have more insight on the concept.

Currency trading should be a different story. Those markets are efficient around the clock.

Matching of limit orders after the major stock exchanges have closed their trading sessions for the day. Usually not a lot of volume. Much of it might come from sharks gobbling up small retail customers that had limit orders set up allowing after hours trades. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that those orders are subject to price improvements since after hours matches limit orders. I rarely participate, others should have more insight on the concept.

Currency trading should be a different story. Those markets are efficient around the clock.
Ok. Thank you.

I had a stock jump big after hours and was just curious what it meant

Ok. Thank you.

I had a stock jump big after hours and was just curious what it meant

Generally the after hours price will indicate how the stock will open, but those after hours trades tend to have a lot of price volatility and the trading volume is fairly light. There can be wild fluctuations in the price. You can google pre-market stock price with the symbol and usually see where the price has settled. Doesn't mean that the open won't be highly volatile as well. A lot more limit orders hit the markets right at the open, but the sellers get better prices, even above the limit they've set.

Reactions: Obsessed
Highly suggest you guys look into pacb. Sounds like the deal with illumina is going to go through. Adding 500 more shares

Dexcom (DXCM) might be worth looking into for somebody interested in taking a risk in the healthcare space. Russell 1000 component. Rang the opening bell at the NASDAQ this morning. A billion in sales. In the glucose monitoring business. Excellent product for diabetics. I haven't checked out the financials.

VN Store

Back