All things STOCKS

If you're a believer in MCD, you're buying at a discount

I started on Scottrade, but moved to Robinhood. I like their mobile interface, and they're the ones who disrupted the commission-based trade revenue model.
They don’t offer many extras, but I will say that Robinhood’s mobile app is top notch.

MCD is pretty safe. They're as much a real estate play as restaurants. They own property in practically every high traffic spot in America and every other developed country on the planet.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
@VolAllen Nice pick. Got any others?
Haha thanks...I made $4,000 yesterday off SLS. It’s only the beginning, as the real jump wasn’t supposed to happen until next week.

The company has been completely silent since 8/14, which is extremely strange. Some think a 90 day quiet period may have been in effect and a possible buyout ahead. Earnings report 11/13-11/14, and Research and Development Presentation in NYC scheduled for next Friday, 11/15.

I said it was an easy double your money play, and that was just the bare minimum. It’s rare that you get a chance to see one of these jumps coming from so far away, but most of us “longs” have been waiting on 11/15 since July.

We’ll see what happens today. Up or down, next week is when things will get interesting. I’ve got a .13 average, so I’m all good.

Reverse stock splits tend to indicate that the security is toxic.
Yep, and try to work with a company that has had a reverse split. They typically are in desperation mode, and will not spend any money, slow or not paying bills, etc. Possibly toxic for a small supplier.

Sold 2/3 of my VCEL holdings this morning. I bought a core position in 2016 and traded swings many times since. I'm still holding 10k shares, but it had just turned into a much larger portion of my portfolio than it should have. My cost basis is in the 2.40's, and I got out of 20k shares this morning in the 19's. Needless to say, this ticker has been very good to me over the last few years.

Sold 2/3 of my VCEL holdings this morning. I bought a core position in 2016 and traded swings many times since. I'm still holding 10k shares, but it had just turned into a much larger portion of my portfolio than it should have. My cost basis is in the 2.40's, and I got out of 20k shares this morning in the 19's. Needless to say, this ticker has been very good to me over the last few years.
Holy ****!

ROKU down like 14% in after hours since their earnings announcement.

There are probably too many companies in the subscription based entertainment space now that the huge players are moving in. ROKU, Spotify, and maybe even Netflix face challenges when Apple, GOOG, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Disney/ABC, CBS, Fox, Comcast/NBC, AT&T, Verizon, etc. go all in with their business models. Maybe ROKU can be complementary to one or more and could be a buyout candidate at some point. Discovery is another to watch. They own a lot of content (unlike Netflix, they actually own most of their library rather than rent it for a couple of years) so even if their own subscription based initiative never gets traction, they are attractive to the Disneys and others as a takeover candidate.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
There are probably too many companies in the subscription based entertainment space now that the huge players are moving in. ROKU, Spotify, and maybe even Netflix face challenges when Apple, GOOG, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Disney/ABC, CBS, Fox, Comcast/NBC, AT&T, Verizon, etc. go all in with their business models. Maybe ROKU can be complementary to one or more and could be a buyout candidate at some point. Discovery is another to watch. They own a lot of content (unlike Netflix, they actually own most of their library rather than rent it for a couple of years) so even if their own subscription based initiative never gets traction, they are attractive to the Disneys and others as a takeover candidate.
Does Roku offer a streaming service of some sort? I thought they only made the hardware/software that competes with chromecast, apple tv, firestick/tv, nvidia shield, etc. I know those who have been optimistic about Roku like the deals they've made, becoming the built-in TV OS on televisions from TCL and others. Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with their exact revenue model, though.

Does Roku offer a streaming service of some sort? I thought they only made the hardware/software that competes with chromecast, apple tv, firestick/tv, nvidia shield, etc. I know those who have been optimistic about Roku like the deals they've made, becoming the built-in TV OS on televisions from TCL and others. Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with their exact revenue model, though.

They do have their own channel but its sparse at best I don't think it is subscriber based.

Reactions: Freak
Alibaba had a nice jump after beating 3Q estimates. Supposed to have an 8 to 1 split soon might be a good time to get in.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Alibaba had a nice jump after beating 3Q estimates. Supposed to have an 8 to 1 split soon might be a good time to get in.
Should’ve got in when it dipped to 150s!! I got in back in June high and have been riding the waves while adding on dips.

Good point. They're a device maker complementary to the actual subscription services. They have licensing revenue rather than subscription fees. Usually the hardware plays eventually fizzle out (GoPro, FitBit, TiVo (hybrid HW/subs). I really don't have an opinion on ROKU. They don't have a lot of revenue and lose money. They could be a takeover candidate. They could become huge if they became entrenched, but they compete with the biggest companies on the planet. Reminds me a little of Novell before Microsoft crushed networking.

Good point. They're a device maker complementary to the actual subscription services. They have licensing revenue rather than subscription fees. Usually the hardware plays eventually fizzle out (GoPro, FitBit, TiVo (hybrid HW/subs). I really don't have an opinion on ROKU. They don't have a lot of revenue and lose money. They could be a takeover candidate. They could become huge if they became entrenched, but they compete with the biggest companies on the planet. Reminds me a little of Novell before Microsoft crushed networking.
The best way I saw it put is that Roku is the Switzerland of streaming. They’re not trying to fight anyone and welcome all services to use their hardware.

The best way I saw it put is that Roku is the Switzerland of streaming. They’re not trying to fight anyone and welcome all services to use their hardware.

Then their biggest concern could be China stealing their technology. Qualcomm is similar... they collect a lot of licensing revenue, but also have to deal with IP theft and governmental attacks over fair trade concerns. But Qualcomm is far bigger than ROKU.

I sold baba yesterday feeling it is one of those stocks I can move in and out of and make money. News this morning might mean they have plenty of upside. Stock split helps too.

Reactions: bignewt

VN Store

Back