All things STOCKS

Once the ruling comes down in their favor on the 26th, they will control 88% of the phosphate supply of NA. Phosphate prices are largely holding with Spring still to come. World supply of the product is incredibly tight. This is not to mention that their ownership in the Saudi Arabian plant has become very profitable. They beat their EPS by 3x and this is before they start cashing in on 2021.
Do you work in this industry in some capacity?

Fidelity is a broker, among other things.
I have had a trading account at Fidelity. My question is, Can Fidelity sell me new shares of an ARK ETF? or do they only sell existing shares on an exchange.
Are ARK ETFs not set up with a finite number of shares similar to a closed end mutual fund?

Ha, when I closed my account about 10 years ago Fidelity failed to send me $.03. They have kept sending me emails and statements even though I've asked them to keep the money. So this year I agreed to accept a debit card with $.03 on it. Hopefully One day I will remember to use it at Publix.

Best Scenarios

Biden wins decisvely enough where DJT cant really protest, Repubs keep Senate
DJT wins decisively enough where Biden cant really protest, Dems keep House

Worse Scenario
DJT barely wins. Election is contested.
Biden barely wins. Election is contested. Repubs keep control of Senate

Worst Scenarios
Biden wins (barely). Election is contested. Dems gain control of Senate barely with a couple contested elections

Just bringing this up because you definitely called it. Wow.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Pretty cool partnership with Ryder. This electric pickup truck is one of the better-looking ones that I've seen.

Ryder & Workhorse

Their end game needs to be to sell out to TSLA. They should have a floor greater than zero with anti-trust laws in case they fail. Or they might be the EV version of AMD to Intel in the 1990s/2000s.

Reactions: Kingston Vol
So I can buy new shares through fidelity? Not existing shares Sold on a exchange?
I have had a trading account at Fidelity. My question is, Can Fidelity sell me new shares of an ARK ETF? or do they only sell existing shares on an exchange.
Are ARK ETFs not set up with a finite number of shares similar to a closed end mutual fund?

Ha, when I closed my account about 10 years ago Fidelity failed to send me $.03. They have kept sending me emails and statements even though I've asked them to keep the money. So this year I agreed to accept a debit card with $.03 on it. Hopefully One day I will remember to use it at Publix.
I don't think Fidelity (or any broker) could sell you new shares of an ETF. Pretty sure there are a finite number of shares similar to a closed-end fund. With Fidelity (or any broker) you'd be buying existing shares from the secondary market.

I called it but I'm up over 60% since Election Day. This "worse case" scenario hasn't been bad at all.
People way overestimate the impact of politics on the market as a whole, and the willingness of people to put their political views above their desire to stay invested over the long term will never cease to amaze me.

I know several people who throughout 2007-08 were very sanguine about the economy...thought the housing market difficulty was overblown and wouldn't lead to a crisis, remained fully invested, and even when it did end up leading to a crisis they saw it as a great buying opportunity. Many of these folks were relatively close to retirement and had more at stake than a 30-year-old with 30 years to make it back up. Then, when Obama won the election and took office, they all of a sudden got real cautious about the market, started calling for a double-dip recession, and started raising a bunch of cash right as the market bottomed. They were sanguine for something like 75 or 80% of the decline, then got real scared just as it was close to being over. I know of liberals who did the exact same thing when Trump won.

That logic is only surpassed in its stupidity by people who blindly short into uptrends, caused by their desire to be "right" more than a desire to make money.

I think that actively managed ETFs are typically like a closed end mutual fund with shares traded on a secondary market or like shares of stock in individual companies. Index type of ETFs would be similar to open end mutual funds (except that they trade like stocks rather than are priced once per day like mutual funds).

Reactions: Go aeiou
People way overestimate the impact of politics on the market as a whole, and the willingness of people to put their political views above their desire to stay invested over the long term will never cease to amaze me.

I know several people who throughout 2007-08 were very sanguine about the economy...thought the housing market difficulty was overblown and wouldn't lead to a crisis, remained fully invested, and even when it did end up leading to a crisis they saw it as a great buying opportunity. Many of these folks were relatively close to retirement and had more at stake than a 30-year-old with 30 years to make it back up. Then, when Obama won the election and took office, they all of a sudden got real cautious about the market, started calling for a double-dip recession, and started raising a bunch of cash right as the market bottomed. They were sanguine for something like 75 or 80% of the decline, then got real scared just as it was close to being over. I know of liberals who did the exact same thing when Trump won.

That logic is only surpassed in its stupidity by people who blindly short into uptrends, caused by their desire to be "right" more than a desire to make money.

Politics in the form of legislation, spending, and policy impact investments. Politics in the form of elections not so much unless a different party takes complete control and takes the country in an entirely different direction. Trump was certainly willing to disrupt the status quo, but Biden probably did more talking about change rather than being likely to execute significant change.

I think that actively managed ETFs are typically like a closed end mutual fund with shares traded on a secondary market or like shares of stock in individual companies. Index type of ETFs would be similar to open end mutual funds (except that they trade like stocks rather than are priced once per day like mutual funds).

That is what I thought. So a individual ARK fund makes more fees(same %) if their stocks appreciate or they receive dividends?

The company can introduce more funds. Any idea how the new "Space Fund" will be introduced? You have to think it will sell out quickly.

Politics in the form of legislation, spending, and policy impact investments. Politics in the form of elections not so much unless a different party takes complete control and takes the country in an entirely different direction. Trump was certainly willing to disrupt the status quo, but Biden probably did more talking about change rather than being likely to execute significant change.
I'm more of a believer that legislation, spending, and policy impact can affect certain companies but the impact of those things on the market as a whole is fairly muted. There are hordes of people who every election say "President XYZ is going to absolutely kill this market/economy." They'll make big portfolio management decisions based on who is in the Oval, even if the party they like is in charge of the House and/or Senate. Of course politics can have some impact on the markets, but that kind of behavior is part of the excessive politicization of everything we see these days. If you are going to make decisions based on the expected policies of any particular body, you're better off trying to figure out what the Fed is going to do rather than the President.

Reactions: TheColdVolTruth

While you may be highlighting a better strategy for investing, it is nowhere near as fun as smashing a keyboard while shaking your fist at the sky and yelling, "Blue/Red/Orange man/woman good/bad."

Reactions: 05_never_again
I guess I qualify as a geezer. I recommended F about a year ago when it was around $5. Its up about 140%. BAC is up 35-50% in the same time period. They also pay a 2% dividend. I own both. I've been taking some profit in the last couple of weeks though.
Hopefully your current trading philosophy will continue for years, and you make a lot of money.

I remember you telling me to buy it last year when I traded around the Bronco announcement.

OTOH, I've owned F for years. Bought at 4 and sold between 12 and 16. Then rode it down to today.
I've seen one bad decision after another, and cars with crap quality.
They finally have an ev coming out, and are bringing back the Bronco. I feel good about them for the first time in at least 5 years.
It might be good to buy some to hold.

Of course I was too smart to listen, because I knew it would come back to me to take a long position after I sold the Bronco spike. Except it didn't come back. I think it pulled back to 6.5, but I didn't pull the trigger. I was looking for 6.

That is what I thought. So a individual ARK fund makes more fees(same %) if their stocks appreciate or they receive dividends?

The company can introduce more funds. Any idea how the new "Space Fund" will be introduced? You have to think it will sell out quickly.

I’m not familiar with the intricacies of running funds. But their fees should be based on the collective value of everything that the fund has invested. So when the fund pays fund share holders, they are technically cutting their own fees. When the fund collects dividends from the individual securities they add some to their collected fees. But the funds attract more money into the funds by making them more attractive with payments to fund investors.

Again, I’m not into the details of fund administration. The dividends collected from the individual securities might be held in trust and is simply a pass through to fund share holders with zero impact on fees.

I think that capital gains in ETFs just roll back into the fund’s assets whereas mutual funds seem to set them aside and pay those out annually. Perhaps there are investment policies for the funds that dictate those cash flow decisions rather than government regulations. I do know that mutual fund investors (with taxable accounts) can get hammered if they receive big payouts in Q4 which are reported as income to the IRS, but their fund investment can crash in the next year leaving them with a tax liability and less assets to draw from to cover it. This hit individual investors very hard around 1999-2000-2001ish. It creates a good argument to keep mutual fund investments under the umbrella of a tax deferred account.

I’d be interested in the mechanics of launching brand new ETFs or increasing shares in them. Financial institutions hammer out all of those details. Somehow arbitrage comes into play to keep the ETF share prices nearly equivalent to the total collective value of all investments divided by the number of shares.

I remember you telling me to buy it last year when I traded around the Bronco announcement.

Of course I was too smart to listen, because I knew it would come back to me to take a long position after I sold the Bronco spike. Except it didn't come back. I think it pulled back to 6.5, but I didn't pull the trigger. I was looking for 6.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda, you can't feel too bad about making money. I've started taking some profit in Ford, but think they are at least showing promise now.
I've bought and sold APPL three times in the last 20 years. I wish I had just bought and held. Well, 4 times, I bought again yesterday.

Reactions: TheColdVolTruth
Coulda, shoulda, woulda, you can't feel too bad about making money. I've started taking some profit in Ford, but think they are at least showing promise now.
I've bought and sold APPL three times in the last 20 years. I wish I had just bought and held. Well, 4 times, I bought again yesterday.

I typically don't have buyer's or seller's remorse, but some tickers just stand out more than others. I try to use them as data points to learn from for future use. I've had a good year (as has everyone else in the market), but it's fun to sometimes beat yourself up over the ones you miss. Good call by you on F.

Same on Ford with me. I try to invest in American institutions if I can. I've been in and out, and sold too early. Now waiting for a path back in.

Anyone know why Fidelity won't allow me to purchase several of the penny stocks I've seen recommended? Most recent example was $LTNC.

VN Store

Back