All things STOCKS

I would say I'm 95% a value investor, and I use discretionary income to pick lottery tickets with the other 5% - and even the pool I'm talking about is fenced into my brokerage account.

My 401k and a couple other retirement accounts are totally managed by people who do this for a living.

Right, I totally get what you're saying. I am relatively new to the markets - I've watched my 401k for 10 years, but I've only been running my own brokerage account for three years or so.

To your point, you would have to be a colossal idiot to not have made money over the last 10 months. And I think that is making younger people around my age, mostly men, think they have an aptitude for something that will explode on them when the market drops. I am very thankful my introduction to the stock market was through Warren Buffett and value investing and not these growth tech stocks and day trading.
The thing that stinks about the momentum is that if momentum investing is your introduction to the markets, and for many of them it is, they get disillusioned when that momentum inevitably slows. And that momentum slowing doesn't even have to coincide with a broader bear market or a recession. They don't really learn what investing is or any general concepts behind it. It's kind of like learning how to drive a car by taking a Ferrari to a race track.

Many in the ARK fanboy crowd doesn't appear to have a disposition or temperament that is conducive to successful investing. Or trading, for that matter. If you have a significant portion of your assets in a more conventional, longer-term oriented, diversified strategy(ies) and you like to play the momentum stuff with play money, then that's great. In fact, if you have a reasonable level of financial interest and sophisticated I might even encourage someone to do it. But a lot of people who participate in these names aren't doing that.

It doesn't quite have a "I'm quitting my job to be a full-time day trader because you can buy stocks on the internet now" vibe like the late 90s had, but it is reminiscent of it. I was just a kid during those days, but even I remember it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingston Vol
Glad I didn't look at the ole account earlier this morning. Ouch. Feb has not been kind to me. Lost most of the gains I had from January. Still riding strong, hoping for a turnaround soon.

My 2 biggest positions, while I'm still down, had very strong reversals from today's lows, so I'm gonna be optimistic and say that they have found their lows.

Reactions: VolAllen
Cathie Wood allows all of her portfolio adjustments to be immediately published. It’s almost like a Ponzi scheme. “Here are the small cap and mid cap stocks that I’ve bought. Now go buy these names and drive up their stock prices.” She’s a savvy lady.

Cathie Wood allows all of her portfolio adjustments to be immediately published. It’s almost like a Ponzi scheme. “Here are the small cap and mid cap stocks that I’ve bought. Now go buy these names and drive up their stock prices.” She’s a savvy lady.
...and it just sucks that most of the fanboys have piled in within the last few months, and will be among the last to sell.

Kinda like Musk with bitcoin?
I have a minor position in Bitcoin so I understand the appeal, but the people who are so sure of it are the same people who think Musk is the smartest man on the planet.

They listen to one Joe Rogan podcast and convince themselves they are on the ground floor at Amazon or something.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Because the old folks getting their yearly 8% ROI are mad at the young folks getting that return monthly.

Exactly.

This was the perfect year for new investors to enter the market. I learned so many lessons and still was able to make a bunch of money, despite my mistakes. I’ll continue to adapt my trading plan as we enter a potentially new market. Still won’t be buying BAC and F like these geezers want me to, though.

Added to LVS and WYNN last week and both have run since (although a bit of pullback today).

I'm hoping for a good pullback (as long as I can keep my comma) since I am sitting on a decent pile of cash that I want to deploy.

Out of both LVS and WYNN today.....Both have probably run up a little too much too fast

Reactions: TheColdVolTruth
Exactly.

This was the perfect year for new investors to enter the market. I learned so many lessons and still was able to make a bunch of money, despite my mistakes. I’ll continue to adapt my trading plan as we enter a potentially new market. Still won’t be buying BAC and F like these geezers want me to, though.
In the long run, I totally disagree. Many are accustomed to 40%+ returns every year from a major market index now.

Yeah I'm not selling for a big loss again. I've done that twice with IDEX and Groupon. Might as well hold it and it will eventually trace back up. Especially if it's a solid company.

I held a penny stock called $GAXY for 6 months, most of this time being a position of 40-50% in the hole. Then last week, it rocketed back up and I was able to sell for a 10% gain. I'll probably buy back in when it bottoms out again and hold for the next run up.

Currently down 20% in NOK, but I'm not gonna sweat it. I'll wait this one out.

Because the old folks getting their yearly 8% ROI are mad at the young folks getting that return monthly.

Perhaps the geezers have vivid memories of the Great Recession a little over a decade ago, the dot com bubble, and even Black Monday in 1987.

I’ll be thrilled with 8% in 2021 after having significant recent appreciation. Slow and steady wins the race. Run the math on a 20% annual return for a couple of decades. That’s about what Warren Buffett did. Probably Peter Lynch as well.

Perhaps the geezers have vivid memories of the Great Recession a little over a decade ago, the dot com bubble, and even Black Monday in 1987.

I’ll be thrilled with 8% in 2021 after having significant recent appreciation. Slow and steady wins the race. Run the math on a 20% annual return for a couple of decades. That’s about what Warren Buffett did. Probably Peter Lynch as well.
Right - bragging about returns this year is silly.

Sustainability for 40 years is what matters. And I'm not suggesting I have a better chance than anyone else.

VN Store

Back