Alabama game officiating...

I feel like this game was officiated against us even worse than Ole Miss, maybe in revenge? The plays I think were bogus are the ones where we got no review and normally we would have: their receiver stepped out and it wasn't looked at, twice their guy did not have forward motion beyond the LTG, wasn't looked at, and Hooker took a helmet to helmet, wasn't looked at. These days, such plays are almost always reviewed but it's like no one decided to do it for us so they just kept playing and went to the next down. Camera would've told a different story on all of those. What else did the zebras do against us?

It really didn’t matter. Heupel called way too conservative of a game to win. Way too many between the tackle runs. Our passing game is really good but didn’t go to it enough. Also, I still can’t believe we punted on 4th and 1 from mid field while losing. That’s a gutless call. Players have to see confidence to believe they can win. They didn’t see that from their leader tinught

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
We all knew going in that any review or impartiality would be a moot point. The best thing to come out of Birmingham is I-20

It really didn’t matter. Heupel called way too conservative of a game to win. Way too many between the tackle runs. Our passing game is really good but didn’t go to it enough. Also, I still can’t believe we punted on 4th and 1 from mid field while losing. That’s a gutless call. Players have to see confidence to believe they can win. They didn’t see that from their leader tinught
We shoulda had you. That was the problem. Maybe he had a plan based on many hours of film review. It worked beautifully for three quarters. Then his three quarters of a team ran out of gas. Heupel is not the problem, he's the solution.

What really killed me was that one of the only calls against Alabama in the first half - aside from the roughing the punter that they COULDN'T not call - was a false start for which the flag only came out as we were about to sack their QB 10 yards behind the LOS, (then he intentionally grounded to avoid the sack), thus saving them 5 yards AND a down. Maybe the false start actually happened, but we'll never know bc ESPN never showed replay on any of those calls - no slo-mo with players circled in yellow, etc - it was really pretty weird.

I don't say alot about officiating and nobody will/can say how a call/noncall would affect the outcome of a college football game but after the Ole miss game and then again tonight especially after the early crown of the helmet on Hooker's chin that was not called, hell they didn't even show a replay, I can't help but at least type this. We don't have the bodies to compete through the 4th quarter but if people other than TN fans can't see us coming it's gonna be a rude awaking. GBO.....

True, but damn, I feel like it is becoming too much to ask for fair officiating, and that is sad in a conference like the SEC.
It's hard to prove. It's not that officiating isn't fair, it's just that it's a little more fair for some than others. Sort of a George Orwell thing.

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and GAVol
Most of the penalties Tenn had were pre snap. That’s on the players. I did see a missed target early on Hooker by a Bama defender. I noticed no review on the fumble in end zone until Heupel raised hell. This wasn’t as bad as the 2019 game screwing Homers crew gave us.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I feel like this game was officiated against us even worse than Ole Miss, maybe in revenge? The plays I think were bogus are the ones where we got no review and normally we would have: their receiver stepped out and it wasn't looked at, twice their guy did not have forward motion beyond the LTG, wasn't looked at, and Hooker took a helmet to helmet, wasn't looked at. These days, such plays are almost always reviewed but it's like no one decided to do it for us so they just kept playing and went to the next down. Camera would've told a different story on all of those. What else did the zebras do against us?

Heupel had his hands tied to a degree tonight. Hooker is maybe 70%. Evans shouldn't have stepped on the field tonight. Mayes replacement is a huge liability. Small was limping. Whitehead didn't play at all. The list goes on. Know fans don't want to hear it, but that really limits what you want to do and changes your thought process and play calling. This wasn't UAB in Knoxville. It was bama on the road.

VN Store

Back