Alabama 1/2/2021 (Final: Bama 71, TN 63)

Dunk goals at Brickey, huh? Ever play on Sunday afternoons around 2002-ish? We may have sparred before, Dog.
2002 ? I was 31, so maybe. But, that's right after my 2nd failed relationship, so although I still played basketball, fairly regularly, I was beginning to slow it down. It's possible, but I doubt it, dunk goals are not quite as fun, once u get in your mid to late 20s. But, there were 3 guys I played with there alot. Jamie, guard, about 6'1, could jump (dunk a 10, easily), Brandon, 6'3 pretty boy, but had some skills, usually matched against him, same size, but he couldn't handle me. Gary was the 3rd guy, I think he runs a heating and air company, now. Any of them sound familiar Chris ? Powell and Central guys, I think

Once, when I was playing at the HPER, a very regular occurrence from '98-'01, one Sunday afternoon, I sat waiting for the next game with two guys. Coinciding with the time we were up and about to pick two guys from the losing squad, Ron Slay and Vincent Yarbrough walked through the door. Needless to say, we were on the court for a while. My nerves were such I managed to overthrow Yarbrough on an alley oop and hit the ball about halfway up the wood facade court divider, garnering a "Really?" look from Yarbrough. Slay trash talked incessantly and kept telling the other dudes they must not have ESPN to see him play. I remember thinking those dudes know who you are, but a business major from Hendersonville isn't going to anything more than a doorstop to you. Lots of fun, though. I miss playing there. We had a couple of good intramural teams my last couple of years and nearly made it to face the football Vols intramural team with John Henderson my junior year. I don't believe we would have won that game.

And Bear died the following January after a loss in the Liberty Bowl, if I'm not mistaken.

Bear died on Jan. 26, which was the day my wife (Bama grad)and I had married in the 70s. We had moved into our new home near TTown at Christmas and watched (on TV) his Liberty Bowl victory. It was bitterly cold day in Memphis, similar to the night (??) I covered the Vols vs. Randy White for the Huntsville Times.

It is always a crap shoot when you play a team that has the 3 as such a large component of their game plan, especially athletic guys that can take you off the dribble. They will get their shots up, but will they fall? Two years ago they marched into TBA, Petty shot lights out and they almost won against a superior Tennessee team. This game worries me because of the very nature of basketball, but man, that Vol performance last night was impressive.
I agree. When a team with that many 3 point shooter get hot, it is almost impossible to stop them from scoring. However, we have recently been shooting the 3 at a higher percentage. Mo. has a pretty good defender in # 1 on the perimeter and we still hit over 50 percent of our 3s.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Saturday at the TBA. 6pm. ESPN2.

I’m glad it’s not in Gumpaloosa. Potential trap game. Alabama usually has a big, strong, physical roster. I know nothing about them this year but they did easily handle Mississippi 2 nights ago.

If Pons stays at the level he was at versus MO last night it should be a W.

Alabama has always been a physical game, whether it is in football or basketball.

2002 ? I was 31, so maybe. But, that's right after my 2nd failed relationship, so although I still played basketball, fairly regularly, I was beginning to slow it down. It's possible, but I doubt it, dunk goals are not quite as fun, once u get in your mid to late 20s. But, there were 3 guys I played with there alot. Jamie, guard, about 6'1, could jump (dunk a 10, easily), Brandon, 6'3 pretty boy, but had some skills, usually matched against him, same size, but he couldn't handle me. Gary was the 3rd guy, I think he runs a heating and air company, now. Any of them sound familiar Chris ? Powell and Central guys, I think
The names don't really ring a bell. You're about 8 years older than me. I went to Brickey, though (the old Brickey). Played there on those dunk goals a lot in my early 20s.

Reactions: The Dog
counting on VN to make sure my day. very slim chance i can follow game.
seems like Bama football success usually means bad news for their little brother from Coleman

We used to do the same. Alumni was awesome to play pickup games in.

I remember going Into Stokely with some buddies and Vegas Davis was in there with some of his friends. They let us play with them. It was then I realized just how badly I truly suck at basketball.

I played with Vegas one day at the bubble, the “temporary” facility that was up for a while across from Presidential. I played with Jenis Grindstaff one day at HPER. You are correct- there were some good pick-up players, but it is unbelievable watching a D1 player against everyone.

Once, when I was playing at the HPER, a very regular occurrence from '98-'01, one Sunday afternoon, I sat waiting for the next game with two guys. Coinciding with the time we were up and about to pick two guys from the losing squad, Ron Slay and Vincent Yarbrough walked through the door. Needless to say, we were on the court for a while. My nerves were such I managed to overthrow Yarbrough on an alley oop and hit the ball about halfway up the wood facade court divider, garnering a "Really?" look from Yarbrough. Slay trash talked incessantly and kept telling the other dudes they must not have ESPN to see him play. I remember thinking those dudes know who you are, but a business major from Hendersonville isn't going to anything more than a doorstop to you. Lots of fun, though. I miss playing there. We had a couple of good intramural teams my last couple of years and nearly made it to face the football Vols intramural team with John Henderson my junior year. I don't believe we would have won that game.

We played during the same time. I remember watching the intramural team play from the 98 football team. I recall having more memories playing at the bubble. Would show up mid-afternoon and guys would play for a couple of hours.

VN Store

Back