Alabama 1/2/2021 (Final: Bama 71, TN 63)

The Bear’s last streak was 1971-1981. Johnny ended it in 1982 with the World’s Fair next door. Ellis played through 1983 iirc.
Wow, it most have been '81, then. I was 10, that's why saying hell was such a big deal. Yeah, Johnny Jones had that big run and then Bear retired

Reactions: feathersax
I remember Rod Grizzard being in a terrible shooting slump....until TN came to town. He shot lights out
Fun fact about him. My high school team played against them one year when I was hurt (note: I would not have made a difference) and he got a fast break dunk by jumping legit over our point guard trying to take a charge. Shame this was before the days where every game was easily recorded from an iphone.

And Bear died the following January after a loss in the Liberty Bowl, if I'm not mistaken.

No, he won his final game versus Illinois. The 1982 Liberty Bowl. Bama was undefeated and #2 in the country when Majors beat them. Then they won a couple more. But he lost the last 3 regular season games and retired after the Liberty Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardvolfan
No, he won his final game versus Illinois. The 1972 Liberty Bowl. Bama was undefeated and #2 in the country when Majors beat them. Then they won a couple more. But he lost the last 3 regular season games and retired after the Liberty Bowl.
I assume u mean the '82 Liberty Bowl ?

I never saw a game there, but I did sneak in with some friends one night in '06 or '07. We played on the gymnastics equipment and I hooked up with this chick that was keeping a live bunny betwixt her teats.
Without a doubt the strangest post in a while. It only got stranger the more I read it. Lol

I never saw a game there, but I did sneak in with some friends one night in '06 or '07. We played on the gymnastics equipment and I hooked up with this chick that was keeping a live bunny betwixt her teats.
Wow, whatta post, rivals one of my off the wall ones. But, Bravo, man, although if that means she had hair between 'em, maybe she deserves the Bravo ?

Never snuck in Stokely, but from the time I was 17 to about 27, we used to sneak into Alumni Gym and play pick-up basketball on the main court with all the orange until they literally put a locked lid on the baskets. Then we would just go to the upstairs gym and play pick-up games there, too. The doors were usually locked to the upstairs gym, but the doors and locks were so old, all it took was a good jerk and we were in.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Wow, whatta post, rivals one of my off the wall ones. But, Bravo, man, although if that means she had hair between 'em, maybe she deserves the Bravo ?

Never snuck in Stokely, but from the time I was 17 to about 27, we used to sneak into Alumni Gym and play pick-up basketball on the main court with all the orange until they literally put a locked lid on the baskets. Then we would just go to the upstairs gym and play pick-up games there, too. The doors were usually locked to the upstairs gym, but the doors and locks were so old, all it took was a good jerk and we were in.
I remember just going in their and walking around before a football game one time. Probably 20 or so years ago. No security in sight.

Reactions: The Dog
Fun fact about him. My high school team played against them one year when I was hurt (note: I would not have made a difference) and he got a fast break dunk by jumping legit over our point guard trying to take a charge. Shame this was before the days where every game was easily recorded from an iphone.
Were your school's colors Orange by chance? Something about the color orange brings out th best in opponents

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

We used to do the same. Alumni was awesome to play pickup games in.

I remember going Into Stokely with some buddies and Vegas Davis was in there with some of his friends. They let us play with them. It was then I realized just how badly I truly suck at basketball.

They are a high volume 3 point shooting team that doesn't do it very well. As long as they don't go crazy against us and randomly make everything this should be ugly for them. They aren't great at free throws either. They only shoot 67 percent as a team. 30 percent from 3 and 41 percent overall from the field. They actually surrender on average better FG shooting than they shoot themselves. If that happens against us, another game over by half time.

We used to do the same. Alumni was awesome to play pickup games in.

I remember going Into Stokely with some buddies and Vegas Davis was in there with some of his friends. They let us play with them. It was then I realized just how badly I truly suck at basketball.
Vegas dropped 40 on some team, iIrc. I think he was a JC transfer, maybe the best ever for UT basketball.

I did play against Lang Wiseman and Ronnie Robinson at the basketball courts between the tennis courts, above Tom Black Track. Lang killed us, but I destroyed Robinson and talked pure smack, while doing it. He was around 6'9, but soft, skinny and transferred after 2 years at UT. He wasn't go all out and whined, but he wasn't an SEC player. I think he ended up at Tennessee Tech. Now, Lang was the real deal and everytime, they needed a basket, I couldn't stop him and my 5'11 best friend and teammate had no chance.

Fun times, I used to drive around with 2 basketballs, a pump and a pair of basketball shorts, in my car looking for pick-up games. 4th and Gill court, Lonsdale, North Knox Rec, Christenberry Rec and the outside half court, New Hope Rec, Alumni, UT tennis courts, Duff Field, dunk goals at that school near Cherokee Blvd. and those dunk goals at Brickey. Those were more favorites, but there were many more. I lived to play basketball, back then. Well, basketball, girls, beer and weed. Too bad, basketball ended up 4th, when it should have been first.

Wow, I rambled. Well, it is New Year's Eve, so Happy New Year, VN

Vegas dropped 40 on some team, iIrc. I think he was a JC transfer, maybe the best ever for UT basketball.

I did play against Lang Wiseman and Ronnie Robinson at the basketball courts between the tennis courts, above Tom Black Track. Lang killed us, but I destroyed Robinson and talked pure smack, while doing it. He was around 6'9, but soft, skinny and transferred after 2 years at UT. He wasn't go all out and whined, but he wasn't an SEC player. I think he ended up at Tennessee Tech. Now, Lang was the real deal and everytime, they needed a basket, I couldn't stop him and my 5'11 best friend and teammate had no chance.

Fun times, I used to drive around with 2 basketballs, a pump and a pair of basketball shorts, in my car looking for pick-up games. 4th and Gill court, Lonsdale, North Knox Rec, Christenberry Rec and the outside half court, New Hope Rec, Alumni, UT tennis courts, Duff Field, dunk goals at that school near Cherokee Blvd. and those dunk goals at Brickey. Those were more favorites, but there were many more. I lived to play basketball, back then. Well, basketball, girls, beer and weed. Too bad, basketball ended up 4th, when it should have been first.

Vegas had hops like nobody I've ever seen. Man that dude could get up quick. It was like he used to keep on rising.

I did the same. Kept my backup basketball backpack in the trunk. I played at many of those same courts, but I was normally out west...the Westside Y, random school blacktops, the courts behind the old JustForFeet, the courts at the top tennis court level of the old Bally's gym off papermill, cal Johnson, etc. Or just my own driveway.

I'd play for hours, go home get a few hours of sleep and wake up and do it all over again. Now if I played a couple games, I'd be out of commission for about a week after.

Vegas had hops like nobody I've ever seen. Man that dude could get up quick. It was like he used to keep on rising.

I did the same. Kept my backup basketball backpack in the trunk. I played at many of those same courts, but I was normally out west...the Westside Y, random school blacktops, the courts behind the old JustForFeet, the courts at the top tennis court level of the old Bally's gym off papermill, cal Johnson, etc. Or just my own driveway.

I'd play for hours, go home get a few hours of sleep and wake up and do it all over again. Now if I played a couple games, I'd be out of commission for about a week after.
How old are u @PandamoniumReigns ? I'm 49, so I'm probably older, but if u are within 5 or 6 years, we may have played, together. Although, I never played at the Westside Y, my boy, Troy was going to take me until he broke up with my girls best friend. Every where else u named, I've played at least once, maybe even your driveway

How old are u @PandamoniumReigns ? I'm 49, so I'm probably older, but if u are within 5 or 6 years, we may have played, together. Although, I never played at the Westside Y, my boy, Troy was going to take me until he broke up with my girls best friend. Every where else u named, I've played at least once, maybe even your driveway
Youve got me by 7.

Didn’t Whimp frustrate everyone? NOBODY scowled like Whimp!

heard tales about the look on his face when he supposedly got caught sneaking around in the bushes at a ladyfriend;s abode near the end of his coaching career.

never thought until recently what an odd couple he and CM Newton made.

Wimp was regular ==and a lot of fun == on sports radio a while back. he still may have spot. Im not a morning person

Dunk goals at Brickey, huh? Ever play on Sunday afternoons around 2002-ish? We may have sparred before, Dog.

VN Store

Back