'24 AL WR Ryan Williams

Agreed.
Thanks GOODNESS
Joe Milton is going to the NFL
he definitely had some drive killing plays.

I haven't seen any stats to back this up, but I am pretty sure we had way more 3 and outs this year. which not only hurts our offense, but our defense too. even if it doesn't turn into points, if we get 6-8 plays going, thats time for the D, field position game comes into play, helps the offense get into a groove and tire out their D.

To me, that's the downside to our fast-paced offense and I believe it will hurt us in the long run. Elite guys are not gonna want to stand on the sideline
LSU had 5 WRs total catch passes. a couple of the other top passing programs had 6 total WRs catch a pass. we had 9 guys, I think only 2 of the top passing teams had more than 9 WRs catch any pass.

I don't think getting into block for half a dozen plays a game is going to help us keep top end talent. throwing to them is what is going to make them happy one way or another, we do that part at least as well as the top offenses.

no one is putting in a freshman during crunch time to get meaningful snaps unless they have already earned the spot. ALL offenses feed their 2nd and 3rd string guys on the cupcakes or in blowouts. ALL of them. it is not a problem of our offense.

the top guys won't want to come to a program that is going to make sure 10 different WRs get a catch every game. top guys want to see top guys getting catches, or at least targets. they aren't going to look at 3rd string freshman on the sidelines when its 3rd and 9 against Georgia in the 4th quarter of a close game. they want to see how we are using our star, that they see themselves as, at that time.

To me, that's the downside to our fast-paced offense and I believe it will hurt us in the long run. Elite guys are not gonna want to stand on the sideline
Seems like we should be deep enough to play a couple of three receiver groups. Rotate them every few series so guys get to play and everyone stays fresh. Alex Golesh seemed to do that at South Florida.

Reactions: Batman1948
I have no idea why our fan base is dead set on this Butch Jones mindset of rotating WRs every catch.

we rotate and throw to our WRs just as much as anyone else.

The Top 10 Passing Offenses completed passes to an average of 8.3 WRs this year.
Tennessee completed passes to 9 WRs this year. Above the average of the Top 10.

The Top 10 Passing Offenses completed at least 10 passes to 5.5 Wrs this year.
Tennessee completed at least 10 passes to 6 WRs this year. Above the average of the Top 10.

and we did that with 30 fewer completed passes than the LOWEST total completed passes in the Top 10, and averaging 66 fewer completed passes than the rest of the Top 10.

the ONLY "problem" with our offense is that we don't throw it as much as people seem to think we do.

FACTS are not welcome on VN!

FACTS are not welcome on VN!
I think its just a lot of old thinking, and making assumptions. Like the Time of Possession arguments. doesn't hurt us, but conventional wisdom says in a game where Kentucky holds the ball for almost 47 minutes they win the game. doesn't happen. just because we don't rotate players every drive doesn't mean they aren't getting playing time.

I grew tired of hearing the biased announcers ragging on us for certain things, but it really bothers me that our own fans pass on the same bad information.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Boo Carter was a 3 star at this point in the process 🫣
We need help/upgrades now in certain position groups, not a kid that will be here in a couple of seasons and will need to develop... We of course need to concentrate still on getting the best high school talent overall to develop the core of our team, but the game has unfortunately changed and if we want to keep up, we need to grab/get elite difference makers who can start day 1 to help fill in the gaps and maybe be the difference in gaining another W in the season.

My comment was just based on the fact that while it may be great we are seeing a potentially great kid that could commit, there is also a day 1 difference maker there that we should be concentrating our efforts on ...

We need help/upgrades now in certain position groups, not a kid that will be here in a couple of seasons and will need to develop... We of course need to concentrate still on getting the best high school talent overall to develop the core of our team, but the game has unfortunately changed and if we want to keep up, we need to grab/get elite difference makers who can start day 1 to help fill in the gaps and maybe be the difference in gaining another W in the season.

My comment was just based on the fact that while it may be great we are seeing a potentially great kid that could commit, there is also a day 1 difference maker there that we should be concentrating our efforts on ...
Tennessee most certainly has been focusing on guys like you suggest.

They just miss a lot. A lot!

But they do get some!
Pearce, Hobbs, West,
Wright, Nico, Bru, etc
We're all guys that helped their 1st year.

You need to fill out your roster the best way you can. which means you recruit the non-elite as well

Reactions: volinbama256
Tennessee most certainly has been focusing on guys like you suggest.

They just miss a lot. A lot!

But they do get some!
Pearce, Hobbs, West,
Wright, Nico, Bru, etc
We're all guys that helped their 1st year.

You need to fill out your roster the best way you can. which means you recruit the non-elite as well
we are fishing in deeper waters now against the best of the best. we aren't trolling around in the shallows stealing our best players from NC State anymore. that jump in competition is going to mean more misses. especially with less to sell than pretty much any of the top recruiting schools.

we are still improving our talent by noticeable amounts even with "a lot" of misses. its not going to happen all at once. we don't have to suddenly have 3 more 5 stars than Georgia does to close the distance. Georgia and Bama have hit a ceiling where they aren't getting better each year, but we still have room to get better and close the distance.

we are fishing in deeper waters now against the best of the best. we aren't trolling around in the shallows stealing our best players from NC State anymore. that jump in competition is going to mean more misses. especially with less to sell than pretty much any of the top recruiting schools.

we are still improving our talent by noticeable amounts even with "a lot" of misses. its not going to happen all at once. we don't have to suddenly have 3 more 5 stars than Georgia does to close the distance. Georgia and Bama have hit a ceiling where they aren't getting better each year, but we still have room to get better and close the distance.
Some of those MISSES should be categorized as PASSES. Great talent but with a price tag we are not willing to pay.

Some are neither. Never seriously considered by prospect, but included in process to leverage more money from their REAL SHORTLIST.

We might be able to leverage a few more if we wanted to pony up stupid money, but not our M. O. Every other player in those rooms will be calculating their NEW RELATIVE value when the top end of the range goes up.

We need instant help at WR? With Bru, Chris, Chas, Squirrel, Dont'e, Kaleb, Mike?

@MoB_MoVols wanna put your blurb in this thread?

Lets dream big here! Have to think with our offense, and the knowledge of having elite QB's in Nico, Merk, and likely Macintyre here has to be appealing!

Let's mine the Capstone State for this recruit.

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
Two years ago when offensively we operated more efficiently than last year, we were the only team in America to have 5 WRs with at least 30 catches.

Two years ago when offensively we operated more efficiently than last year, we were the only team in America to have 5 WRs with at least 30 catches.
Can you prove that?

Not challenging you, but I just don't remember that kind of distribution.

I think UGA did, but we were more top heavy.

VN Store

Back