'22 AL WR Marquarius White (Tennessee signee)

Marquarius White is hardly the biggest wide receiver Tennessee has pursued since first-year coach Josh Heupel’s hiring more than five months ago. But there’s a reason the Vols have made White a priority since giving him a scholarship offer in late February.

It’s all about speed.

The Class of 2022 wide receiver from Clay-Chalkville High School in Pinson, Ala., announced his commitment to Tennessee on Thursday afternoon, choosing the Vols over Louisville. White is expected to add some much-needed speed to Tennessee’s current group of wide receivers, and 247Sports analyst Clint Brewster said he should be “dangerous in space” in the Vols’ uptempo offense.

“White is an elite speed player with top-end skills at the receiver position,” Brewster said. “He’s recorded 100(-meter) dash times in the 10.6(-second) range, and it shows on film with his ability to blow the top off the defense and separate.

“He’s got great acceleration after the catch and can hit multiple gears. White has remarkable stop/start quickness and speed shifts.”
Brewster said White’s film shows that he’s more than just a sprinter playing wide receiver. He plays with proper techniques for the position and catches the ball well, often providing a bigger target for quarterbacks than his relatively slight frame might suggest.

Before publicly revealing his decision, White told GoVols247 that Tennessee’s coaches believe he could be “a great slot guy” for the Vols.

“Usually, players like White are raw as far as the technical aspects of the position, but he has precise routes and catches the ball away from his body,” Brewster said. “His catch radius for an undersized receiver really takes his game to another level.

“White has the ability to line up inside or outside and also brings return value. He’s dangerous in space and will fit well in a wide-open offense.”
-Callahan

[White] was timed at 10.68 seconds in the 100 meters this spring.

The Vols quickly caught his attention after joining the race for him more than four months ago. First-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff has stayed in frequent contact with him, led by wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, and made it clear to White during his official visit to Knoxville that he could thrive in the Vols’ uptempo offense. “I think I’ll like the offense a lot,” White said. “I think I’ll like just being coached by Coach Heup, Coach Burns. Those guys are great coaches and stuff. They know what they’re doing.”

White said Tennessee’s coaches made him a priority because he could “bring speed to the table” and be “a great slot guy” in the Vols’ offense. He said he believes he’s a good fit for Tennessee’s system because of the “vertical pass game (and) RPOs” the Vols plan to use under Heupel. “I do that a lot (in high school), so I guess I’ll be comfortable doing that,” White said.
Speedy WR commits to Vols, says Tennessee felt 'like home'

White finished 2nd in the 100m (10.81) and 200m (21.58) at Alabama's Class 6A T&F championships in May. He recorded his 10.68 100 time in the prelims while running against a 2.2 m/s headwind, which converts to a 10.54 with no wind.

Last edited:
“The city made me feel like home, to be honest,” said White, who’s ranked the No. 500 overall prospect and No. 68 wide receiver in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “(I liked) just the vibe that I had down there.”

White is a speedy wide receiver who’s best known to coaches, teammates and relatives by his nickname, “Squirrel.” He was timed at 10.68 seconds in the 100 meters this spring.

He also went on official visits to Louisville and Virginia Tech last month before traveling to Tennessee. More than 25 schools have extended offers to him, including Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Michigan, Florida State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Missouri and Georgia Tech.

The Vols quickly caught his attention after joining the race for him more than four months ago. First-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff has stayed in frequent contact with him, led by wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, and made it clear to White during his official visit to Knoxville that he could thrive in the Vols’ uptempo offense.

“I think I’ll like the offense a lot,” White said. “I think I’ll like just being coached by Coach Heup, Coach Burns. Those guys are great coaches and stuff. They know what they’re doing.”

White said Tennessee’s coaches made him a priority because he could “bring speed to the table” and be “a great slot guy” in the Vols’ offense. He said he believes he’s a good fit for Tennessee’s system because of the “vertical pass game (and) RPOs” the Vols plan to use under Heupel.

“I do that a lot (in high school), so I guess I’ll be comfortable doing that,” White said.

And while he hasn’t necessarily been focused on playing in a particular conference, he admitted that “playing in the SEC is a dream come true.”
White said he’s also looking forward to playing for Burns.

“We have a great relationship,” White said. “He’s a good coach. We play video games together. We play Madden.”

Heupel has built a strong connection with White, too. One of the highlights of White’s official visit to Tennessee, he said, was “meeting with Coach Heup” and being around him in person for the first time.

“He’s just been truthful,” White said of Heupel. “I could see it in his face that he really wants me there.”
-Callahan

-Callahan
He also went on official visits to Louisville and Virginia Tech last month before traveling to Tennessee. More than 25 schools have extended offers to him, including Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Michigan, Florida State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Missouri and Georgia Tech.

Nice offer list.

Reactions: headhunter15

VN Store

Back