Al Washington (Potential DC)

Didn't he develop Cam Sutton from a 3 star to a 3rd rounder? Coleman also went from a disaster to an NFL player. I don't remember hating Willie, but maybe I'm misremembering.

He was decent here as a position coach. Had a bad run as DC at UGA prior and it kinda gave him a bad name.

Reactions: kcvols1
Didn't he develop Cam Sutton from a 3 star to a 3rd rounder? Coleman also went from a disaster to an NFL player. I don't remember hating Willie, but maybe I'm misremembering.

There’s no pleasing people as the DBs coach. DBs know it is a feast or famine position on the field. On the sideline, it appears to be anonymity or famine.

Same people that complain about Willie were complaining about Larry Scott back in the day. Both put many players into the league.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
I suppose some had to do with the Schiano character assassination and that Tennessee is a total dumpster fire. He is not coming here.

"Total dumpster fire", yes that was one. And how coaches come here to end their career. Nothing on Schiano, but I agree Schiano isn't coming here... :)

As for Washington, not sure yet. Sounds like Heupel really wants. Just depends on if he signs on the dotted line I guess (are they really dotted lines anymore?)

I don't know about this one. Why throw all that money at someone with no experience as DC in this conference. Regardless of how well he can recruit.

Reactions: Volinnooga
I don't know about this one. Why throw all that money at someone with no experience as DC in this conference. Regardless of how well he can recruit.
Its about the Jimmy's and the Joe's .... majority of the time ....

Reactions: 67Vol
Along with good coaching dont hurt .. ask Bama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State etc

I'd rather go down this path with somebody whose scheme will work with the overall gameplan than to get some also-ran with SEC experience. Experience means nothing if they didn't do much with it.

I said Pruitt not hiring experienced coordinators out of the gate would set him back. His first year he didn’t even hire an official DC. Ansley was DC in name only and had never been more than a position coach. Then he ran off the experienced teachers on defense.

Chaney is the mystery as his offenses have always produced.
Fulmer hired a position coach out of the gate to be his DC. John Chavis. He had never called plays before.

If you have studs to work with, the coaching is the easy part

Pretty sure we won the bidding war. Wondering where (or if) we put Steele? Washington could probably use an old SEC hand for a year or two but..... can we trust Steele not to want him to fail?

Would Steele do that again? He did it at Auburn... It didn't work out for him. I'm sure he wanted "more" here at UT, but not happening either. Would he sabotage again? At his alma mater?

Reactions: Nouveaux

VN Store

Back