'24 AL EDGE Jordan Ross (Tennessee)

I think Recruiting is a weakness of Heupel….. Tennessee, however, has set up a system in place to turn that weakness into a strength.
I think thats backwards.

Given how much all the recruits’ interviews seem to go back to how much these guys love Heupel, I’d venture to say it’s more likely UCF just lacks the framework to recruit at an elite level and that hamstrung his recruiting efforts while there.

They now have a coach with a national championship under his belt and still only recruit marginally better/even with Heupel’s years there.

It is an interesting debate because Heupel landed at Tennessee at just the right time; the dawn of the NIL era. Our fans, boosters, and support infrastructure are going to make it easier for him to succeed, even coming off of an ugly NCAA investigation. We never really got to see what CJH could have done as a recruiter under the old model, so it's hard to say how he'd have done.

That said, a lot of what recruits say and gravitate toward are things that existed under any model. Sammy Brown kept uttering the word "genuine" talking about Heupel, his staff, and Tennessee. CJH is just a likable guy, a family-oriented individual, and a lot of these kids are drawn to that. He now also has some success to sell on top of his personality, and the offense, program history, NIL infrastructure, etc.

It's fair to wonder how successful he'd have been coming out of the NCAA fog without NIL to help boost our profile to some kids, but it's irrelevant, now. NIL is here, CJH has had early success on and off the field, and we should only expect that to continue as long as he continues to be himself and work like he's still at UCF.

Last edited:
It is an interesting debate because Heupel landed at Tennessee at just the right time; the dawn of the NIL era. Our fans, boosters, and support infrastructure are going to make it easier for him to succeed, even coming off of an ugly NCAA investigation. We never really got to see what CJH could have done as a recruiter under the old model, so it's hard to say how he'd have done.

That said, a lot of what recruits say and gravitate toward are things that existed under any model. Sammy Brown kept uttering the word "genuine" talking about Heupel, his staff, and Tennessee. CJH is just a likable guy, a family-oriented individual, and a lot of these kids are drawn to that. He now also has some success to sell on top of his personality, and the offense, program history, NIL infrastructure, etc.

It's fair to wonder how successful he'd have been coming out of the NCAA fog without NIL to help boost our profile to some kids, but it's irrelevant, now. NIL is here, CJP has had early success on and off the field, and we should only expect that to continue as long as he continues to be himself and work like he's still at UCF.
Uh oh, “CJP” gives me PTSD

Reactions: cncchris33
That’s what UCF fans said about him. Was repeated by some media, rivals and some fans on here when he was hired.
Agreed @SweetasSoda, the media and rivals definitely had questions regarding how he could recruit in the SEC. I believe most fans that thought that way were either negavols or had gotten used to us being mediocre for a time period. Heupel seems to be doing fine to me lol.

Bas
Based on what do you consider Heupel a weak recruiter? UCF?

You are recruiting kids to a school/program as much as you are to play for a staff.

CJH now has Tennessee as his school and the SEC conference compared to UCF.

Considering CJH is recruiting in the Top 10 versus Spurrier only being in the 15 range at USCjr, I would say he is doing pretty good to really only be on his 2nd true recruiting class after walking into a multi-decade dumpster fire.

It's fair to wonder how successful he'd have been coming out of the NCAA fog without NIL to help boost our profile to some kids, but it's irrelevant, now. NIL is here, CJH has had early success on and off the field, and we should only expect that to continue as long as he continues to be himself and work like he's still at UCF.
Pretty much exactly. Tennessee is going to attract really good players with their inherent strengths. Heupel can close on a lot of these kids bc he’s a genuine good dude.

You must have amnesia. Plenty of people said when Heupel was hired that he can’t recruit at a high level for the SEC.
That was 3 years ago. Nobody has said it recently. It's just a dumb thing to say now, when literally nobody is saying it.

There are plenty still saying it. Just saw a post by Beast repeating it.
Who? Where at? I'd love to go ridicule him.

Nevermind. Not so sure calling something a weakness is saying he can't recruit though. Just because you happen to be weak in a certain area doesn't mean you can't do it. Not real sure what he means by what he said though.

VN Store

Back