'24 AL EDGE Jordan Ross (Tennessee)

Texas has 2 5* (black & simmons) that will commit to them soon. Wingo is on their board (another 5*), and they have 3-5 more 4*s that will probably commit to them as well. And thats not counting any flips.
David stone and william (both 5*) have ou in their top 2 and some 4*s that will commit to them. They will need some flips as well to get into the top 5. Probably not going to transpire, but theres pathway for them.
maybe so but I actually think we end up landing Wingo away from Texas. I don't think he is super crazy about them and Fong just made a random predicition. I actually think it ends up being a Missou vs Vol battle in the end

Reactions: Smokey19rt
This could be wrong but assuming we land Bates and Warren, if we land Ross that should lock us in as a top 6 class. So Cal may sneak past us at 5 but Penn St and Notre Dame will be the only competition for 6
Penn St. has like 26 commits already I think. I don't think they'll be a factor as we continue to add commits.

Stopping the run yes, pass defense definitely not. We were ranked 129 out of 130 in passing yards given up per game. Arkansas was the only SEC team worse than us.
It’s 2023, raw stats mean very little. The pass D was not good, but it certainly wasn’t the 2nd worst unit in college football. Can Tennessee find a way to get to the QB, especially on adding downs, that will determine if this Defense makes the jump we need it to make. Need Josephs and Pearce to both become options in that regard

And we were 11-2. Final score is the only stat that really matters. 11-2 without the talent we’re going to have. Why torture yourself?

Not torturing myself at all, it doesn't mean that much to me. And that's exactly my point. We need to recruit and land better talent on the defensive side to take the next step. Yes the final score is all that matters, but offense's and players aren't going to be on every week. I highly doubt our Coach's want to win 52-49 games every week. And we won't win those every week, as we saw. But if anyone thinks we can get to the next level playing the D we did last year is just asinine. If we are fine with 9-11 wins every year, which is definitely an improvement but not where Vol football can and should be. I would love to see atleast 1 more NC in my lifetime and to do that we have to be solid on both sides. We wouldn't be going after the defense players we're going after if the Coach's didn't want to improve our D and were content trying to outscore every one.

Not torturing myself at all, it doesn't mean that much to me. And that's exactly my point. We need to recruit and land better talent on the defensive side to take the next step. Yes the final score is all that matters, but offense's and players aren't going to be on every week. I highly doubt our Coach's want to win 52-49 games every week. And we won't win those every week, as we saw. But if anyone thinks we can get to the next level playing the D we did last year is just asinine. If we are fine with 9-11 wins every year, which is definitely an improvement but not where Vol football can and should be. I would love to see atleast 1 more NC in my lifetime and to do that we have to be solid on both sides. We wouldn't be going after the defense players we're going after if the Coach's didn't want to improve our D and were content trying to outscore every one.
Didn’t you just say the same thing I did? We were 11-2. We are getting better talent than what we had at 11-2. Of course everyone including coaches wants to get better. Some of us are enjoying the fact that we’re getting better and will continue to improve. Some are worrying about every little thing when that doesn’t do anything.

Now the complaints are about defense “almost costing us games that we won”.

Fun times in the off-season.

That was all season talk, not sure what you're talking about. Go back and look at the game by game posts. EVERYONE was complaining about the pass defense almost every game. Has zero to do with off season posts. 🙄🙄🙄

You would be 100% wrong, WE care very much about it. Most fans are very concerned about it and should be. Let me remind you what S.Car(438) (Ala 455) (Clemson 320) (Fla 453) ( TN Martin 316) (Ga 280 and hardly threw in the 2nd half) all threw for. I promise you it's a concern for the Coach's and the majority of Vol Nation.

I think you and whomever else is looking at Yards are 100% WRONG. The basic and fundamental job of the defense is to stop the other team from scoring........we were #23 in the country in doing that (stop rate) which helped us to win 11 games last season.

Our defense was damn good in 2022 and will be better this season. We had one of the toughest schedules in college football, a depleted roster on defense with zero depth, yet 70% of the time, as a defense, we were able to stop our opponent from scoring. For context, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama were only able to stop their opponents from scoring 74% of the time. And Iowa, the most successful and #1 team at stop rate, was successful 78% of thr time.

To say our defense was bad last year is flat out WRONG. We played to win and sold out to stopping the run and it worked to help win games.......11 to be exact. GBO

I think you and whomever else is looking at Yards are 100% WRONG. The basic and fundamental job of the defense is to stop the other team from scoring........we were #23 in the country in doing that (stop rate) which helped us to win 11 games last season.

Our defense was damn good in 2022 and will be better this season. We had one of the toughest schedules in college football, a depleted roster on defense with zero depth, yet 70% of the time, as a defense, we were able to stop our opponent from scoring. For context, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama were only able to stop their opponents from scoring 74% of the time. And Iowa, the most successful and #1 team at stop rate, was successful 78% of thr time.

To say our defense was bad last year is flat out WRONG. We played to win and sold out to stopping the run and it worked to help win games.......11 to be exact. GBO

Get that logic out of here sir! We are supposed to be hand wringing here!

Bingo. Only embarrassing defensive performances were SC and UF. Bama is understandable. When you beat Mizzou by 42, I also don’t care.

And the most embarrassing part of the UF game came in the 2nd half. Just didn’t have to be that way but unfortunately we just fell apart. But this take is correct.

Yes! Everyone craps on our D, but they were a big part of our success. Aggressive up front and against the run was a big part of it. Only real weakness was our secondary and the general lack of depth.

I think Tim Banks has done a fantastic job, and he ain't done yet. His aggressive style of play calling fits perfectly with the aggressive offense. He doesn't have the guys to completely fill his defensive vision, but we are getting closer.
God, I am really excited for the future.

maybe so but I actually think we end up landing Wingo away from Texas. I don't think he is super crazy about them and Fong just made a random predicition. I actually think it ends up being a Missou vs Vol battle in the end

He currently seems to like Texas quite a bit

COVID exceptions and portal have created some strange numbers of yearly losses impacting the 85 or in our case 83.
I think the portal is a better way to address it. That way you can sprinkle in people in the correct class and not have a team that's 70% underclassmen.

Got to be tough to get schooled on here and know you can’t be the board stooge like on VQ and ban someone for disagreeing with you

VN Store

Back