'24 AL CB Travaris Banks

Up next on Banks' visit schedule is Tennessee this upcoming weekend for their clash with Florida. He picked up an offer from the Vols on September 8th and is looking forward to the game day environment in Knoxville.

"I want to see the same thing as the other visits. I want to check out how the fans interact throughout the game. How the coaching staff treats me and I'll go from there."
rivals

From Rivals:

ygm2eewufbpc9tqdsow3

TRAVARIS
BANKS

UNDECIDED
6'2" | 182 LBS | CB | 2024
NORTHRIDGE
TUSCALOOSA, AL

From the hosts to the food, coaches and fans, the Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge 2024 four-star cornerback had a ā€œtop-tierā€ experience at Tennessee this weekend as the Volunteers thoroughly impressed him in every way. He loved that the coaches talked to the recruits before and after the game and it was one of the best game-day experiences heā€™s had so far. Being from Tuscaloosa, Alabama could be tough to beat but the Vols impressed. ā€œFans are unmatched,ā€ Banks said.

From Rivals:

ygm2eewufbpc9tqdsow3

TRAVARIS
BANKS

UNDECIDED
6'2" | 182 LBS | CB | 2024
NORTHRIDGE
TUSCALOOSA, AL

From the hosts to the food, coaches and fans, the Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge 2024 four-star cornerback had a ā€œtop-tierā€ experience at Tennessee this weekend as the Volunteers thoroughly impressed him in every way. He loved that the coaches talked to the recruits before and after the game and it was one of the best game-day experiences heā€™s had so far. Being from Tuscaloosa, Alabama could be tough to beat but the Vols impressed. ā€œFans are unmatched,ā€ Banks said.

Iā€™m sensing a common theme about the fans from all these recruiting updates šŸ˜

Appears to have a UT trip planned for next wkend Jan 14....

2024 Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge four-star safety Travaris Banks plans to take multiple visits in January, including a stop in Knoxville on January 14th for Tennesseeā€™s first Junior day of the year.

The visit will mark Banksā€™s second trip to Rocky Top since Josh Heupelā€™s staff took over. He was most recently in town when the Vols defeated Florida 38-33 in September.

ā€œThat was probably the loudest game I have ever been to,ā€ Banks said of that visit. ā€œThe crowd was loud the entire game. I really liked it a lot. The fans were just really engaged in the game, so that is what I liked the most about it.ā€
-Matt Ray

Four-star Safety Travaris Banks ready for return trip to Rocky Top (on3.com)

From Rivals:

He plays at Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge so Alabama is going to play a significant role in his recruitment but Banks was at Auburn over the weekend and loved it. Relationships are huge to Banks and he felt the coaches there were genuinely trying to get to know him would could be a major factor in his recruitment. A presentation from strength and conditioning coach Dom Studzinski made a major impression and and then assistant coaches Wesley McGriff and Zac Etheridge hit it off with Banks as well. Florida State, Tennessee and others are high on the list, too. Trips to Oklahoma and Texas A&M should be coming up.

You do realize that we have another DB(Goree) committed right?
Yes, but most teams are taking 5 DBs a class. I would imagine we will do the same. Plus Goree is more of an in the box safety/star than a perimeter corner. He has very limited experience in pass coverage and we only took 2 CBs last cycle. We need either Ify or Jadyn Crawford to go along with Beasley on the outside. At some point we need to start stacking classes of actual cover corners and not just getting tweeners and hoping Martinez can coach them up at corner. Because heā€™s yet to do that whether it be under Heupel or Butch

Reactions: Vol8188
Yes, but most teams are taking 5 DBs a class. I would imagine we will do the same. Plus Goree is more of an in the box safety/star than a perimeter corner. He has very limited experience in pass coverage and we only took 2 CBs last cycle. We need either Ify or Jadyn Crawford to go along with Beasley on the outside. At some point we need to start stacking classes of actual cover corners and not just getting tweeners and hoping Martinez can coach them up at corner. Because heā€™s yet to do that whether it be under Heupel or Butch
Conyer was recruited to play corner, so until we hear otherwise that's 3 that we took last class. I agree that Matthews and Gibson are true cover CBs though. Yes, Goree will likely play star, but you mentioned those other recruits as being a potentially great DB class. The star position is still a DB, and he looks very promising for that role.

Beasley isn't a speed merchant either.

But he is a playmaker.
He's a guy who could play NB or FS along with CB

Conyer was recruited to play corner, so until we hear otherwise that's 3 that we took last class. I agree that Matthews and Gibson are true cover CBs though. Yes, Goree will likely play star, but you mentioned those other recruits as being a potentially great DB class. The star position is still a DB, and he looks very promising for that role.
I think Conyer is more suited for the star position also. I just think we need more help at corner than the star and therefore need at least 1 more corner in this class, and that only taking 1 corner and a bunch of tweeners is a recipe for disaster in the defensive backfield. Filling positions of need is usually better than signing elite players at positions we donā€™t need. For instance I would rather take 2 solid corners 2 solid safeties and 1 solid guy that could play either than sign 1 great corner and 4 great safeties. I think we signed a decent DB class this past year, but we have to start stacking classes if we want to actually be a powerhouse again. Which means we need to land Ify and/or Crawford/Bridges

Last edited:
I think Conyer is more suited for the star position also. I just think we need more help at corner than the star and therefore need at least 1 more corner in this class, and that only taking 1 corner and a bunch of tweeners is a recipe for disaster in the defensive backfield. Filling positions of need is usually better than signing elite players at positions we donā€™t need. For instance I would rather take 2 solid corners 2 solid safeties and 1 solid guy that could play either than sign 1 great corner and 4 great safeties. I think we signed a decent DB class this past year, but we have to start stacking classes if we want to actually be a powerhouse again. Which means we need to land Ify and/or Crawford/Bridges
I'm in 100% agreement with you as far as need. I'd rather sign 3 above average guys that are true cover corners than 1 elite guy and 2 tweeners. We've seen now that you there's 2 things you need in this defense to make it work. It takes 2 CBs that can cover, and an elite pass rush. We haven't had either yet. The positive that I've seen in recruiting though is getting guys with length that can run at nearly every defensive position. Hopefully it all translates by 2024.
Speed can mask a lot of deficiencies.

I'm in 100% agreement with you as far as need. I'd rather sign 3 above average guys that are true cover corners than 1 elite guy and 2 tweeners. We've seen now that you there's 2 things you need in this defense to make it work. It takes 2 CBs that can cover, and an elite pass rush. We haven't had either yet. The positive that I've seen in recruiting though is getting guys with length that can run at nearly every defensive position. Hopefully it all translates by 2024.
Speed can mask a lot of deficiencies.

Gibson and Mathews from last years class both run in the 4.4 range. Very few WR's could ever out run them. We need more of those.

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back