‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

A top 10 DB class would be great if our secondary wasn’t one of the worst in the country that has also regressed. Did it ever occur to anyone that they may be developing poor habits and that Alonte Taylor and Theo Jackson were so good last year because they had a former NFL guy coaching them the years prior and Jackson was finally given an opportunity to shine? As long as Martinez is the DB coach we will have average secondary play at best with Gibson and Matthews
Your logic doesn't track because Trevon Flowers and Tank McCullough had those same coaches as Alontae and Theo. So did Warren Burrell. They weren't very good under Pruitt and they still aren't very good now. Yet, they all were starters under both regimes. That speaks more to how poor the overall talent is in the DB room. It's hard to make lemonade with kumquats.

Your logic doesn't track because Trevon Flowers and Tank McCullough had those same coaches as Alontae and Theo. So did Warren Burrell. They weren't very good under Pruitt and they still aren't very good now. Yet, they all were starters under both regimes. That speaks more to how poor the overall talent is in the DB room. It's hard to make lemonade with kumquats.

Yeah, I am going to have to throw a flag for being too logical with that post. Theo Jackson had tremendous play recognition and anticipation. The coaches chose to teach that to him but have decided against teaching that to other players?!?! These arguments by some of these posters is ridiculous.

I feel like they are getting the nod partly due to seniority and “knowing” the system. If Slaughter can be serviceable at corner his coverage skills are probably better than Tank’s cause I’m pretty sure Tank would be even worse there than at safety. Tank is good in the box but not covering the back end. And I’d like to think Turrentine would be better than Flowers since he was so highly recruited out of high school and Flowers can’t cover jack ****. Maybe since he just got here in the summer he hasn’t fully gotten a grasp of what they expect out of the FS position.

I feel like they are getting the nod partly due to seniority and “knowing” the system. If Slaughter can be serviceable at corner his coverage skills are probably better than Tank’s cause I’m pretty sure Tank would be even worse there than at safety. Tank is good in the box but not covering the back end. And I’d like to think Turrentine would be better than Flowers since he was so highly recruited out of high school and Flowers can’t cover jack ****. Maybe since he just got here in the summer he hasn’t fully gotten a grasp of what they expect out of the FS position.
Flowers and Tank are back there because the safeties make the calls and checks for the secondary. That's where the seniority comes into play. Missing those is almost an automatic TD or big play. I believe this is also where Jeremy Banks was missed the most last Saturday. He makes the calls and checks for the front seven.

Flowers and Tank are back there because the safeties make the calls and checks for the secondary. That's where the seniority comes into play. Missing those is almost an automatic TD or big play. I believe this is also where Jeremy Banks was missed the most last Saturday. He makes the calls and checks for the front seven.

When they score every drive, an occasional bust is worth it to get off the field some. Trust is an excuse not a good reason when you are 130th in pass defense.

Really think we need to see more of Slaughter and Turrentine back there in these next couple games since it seems like they will be starting next year. They don’t have to start but would like to see how they mesh together.
Atleast given an opportunity. But for all of the shortcomings from 1 & 2.. in their defense sometimes they’re not setup to be the best versions of themselves play in and play out. DC lost his confidence sat. night and if you want a clinic on a lack of fundamentals just see 5 out there playing corner

and he is the best blitzer and cover backer we have. All time bad timing

Really think we need to see more of Slaughter and Turrentine back there in these next couple games since it seems like they will be starting next year. They don’t have to start but would like to see how they mesh together.
Slaughter has been having to start at corner, which should help as a starting safety next season. Turrentine or Jourdan Thomas probably should have gotten more snaps, but I think they are wanting to redshirt Thomas. Turrentine hasn't really flashed when he's gotten to play. It would be nice if we could see how they perform in practice.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and Midas
Slaughter has been having to start at corner, which should help as a starting safety next season. Turrentine or Jourdan Thomas probably should have gotten more snaps, but I think they are wanting to redshirt Thomas. Turrentine hasn't really flashed when he's gotten to play. It would be nice if we could see how they perform in practice.
thomas isn't going to redshirt, he's on ST

I hate preseason practice reports…. All the reports of Turrentine challenging our best wrs and isn’t good enough to see the field.

I wanted too. Don’t need any other reason and
Don’t need your approval.

If recruits going to pass on a school because they read on a message board something not flattering to everyone then there’s zero schools out there for them to choose from.
Welcome to the real world
Once again, I am so glad we have posters like you who keep it real for the rest of us who are too naïve to know how the real world works.

My thoughts exactly. Slaughter’s way more fluid in his hip movements and can cover better. Also seems at least a step faster than Tank.

My thoughts exactly. Slaughter’s way more fluid in his hip movements and can cover better. Also seems at least a step faster than Tank.
He's faster and has better instincts. Better tackler. He's not as big but what does that matter if you're never in position to make a play?

Yes Slaughter and Charles need to move back to safety.
Maybe get a transfer portal CB just for insurance. Give Matthews and Gibson all the reps they want this spring.

Taylor and Thompson both played well as true freshman for Pruitt.

VN Store

Back