‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

He's faster and has better instincts. Better tackler. He's not as big but what does that matter if you're never in position to make a play?

Yes Slaughter and Charles need to move back to safety.
Maybe get a transfer portal CB just for insurance. Give Matthews and Gibson all the reps they want this spring.

Taylor and Thompson both played well as true freshman for Pruitt.
Khyree Jackson would be a nice pickup. Hopefully a new DB coach can have Dee Williams ready to contribute next year. He looked like he would lock down our CB1 spot coming out of JUCO

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Khyree Jackson would be a nice pickup. Hopefully a new DB coach can have Dee Williams ready to contribute next year. He looked like he would lock down our CB1 spot coming out of JUCO
Bama’s secondary had their fair share of problems this year, but a lot of that might’ve had to do with their pass rush not living up to expectations. You have to think that if Saban took him that there’s something there, and he can’t be worse than what we currently have on the roster
Soooo...Jackson's and Bama's secondary problems "might've had to do with their pass rush not living up to expectations"; but, our lack of a pass rush adding to our secondary problems = Willie Martinez sucks??

Sound logic.

If it ain't Koolaid Mckinstry coming from Bama then I don't want him.
All those guys sucked outside of he and #14.

We need a new DC. People can bag on WM, but the defense philosophy was the biggest issue. *is

Need Pearce and Josephs to come on strong as sophomores.

Need better, faster athletes at CB and safety.

Need a DC that mixes up coverages and attacks instead of reacting all the time.

If it ain't Koolaid Mckinstry coming from Bama then I don't want him.
All those guys sucked outside of he and #14.

We need a new DC. People can bag on WM, but the defense philosophy was the biggest issue. *is

Need Pearce and Josephs to come on strong as sophomores.

Need better, faster athletes at CB and safety.

Need a DC that mixes up coverages and attacks instead of reacting all the time.
I think it’s a little bit of both WM and TB. In my opinion though DB is the only position group on our team that has regressed and it’s not just guys getting beat deep. They’re taking bad angles to close on out routes and they don’t look for the ball when they’re trailing the WR. Those 2 are a result of bad coaching and not entirely talent. I’m sure talent would make the coaches’ jobs easier, but there’s no way some of the passing defenses ranked ahead of us are significantly more talented than what we have

I think it’s a little bit of both WM and TB. In my opinion though DB is the only position group on our team that has regressed and it’s not just guys getting beat deep. They’re taking bad angles to close on out routes and they don’t look for the ball when they’re trailing the WR. Those 2 are a result of bad coaching and not entirely talent. I’m sure talent would make the coaches’ jobs easier, but there’s no way some of the passing defenses ranked ahead of us are significantly more talented than what we have

You know that to be CJH's opinion as well? That is the ONLY opinion that counts no matter how many times others are repackaged and shared with the world. It might also be important what his knowledge is concerning the commits and other current targets thoughts on showing up if specific coaches are not slated to return. What was expressed to these guys during their recruitment about the staff if anything? Way to many moving parts for overly simplistic solution paths.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Martinez is not that bad as some of you dummies make him out to be.

Recruits seem to love him.

I love how you call people names when they don’t share your views. Grow up.

If you think Martinez is not that bad then please show us some proof from last year and this year that back that up. I don’t want to see any too about Taylor or Jackson. He doesn’t get credit for those. So give us some real numbers.

If you think Martinez is not that bad then please show us some proof from last year and this year that back that up. I don’t want to see any too about Taylor or Jackson. He doesn’t get credit for those. So give us some real numbers.

He was terrible at Georgia too. Not sure how he got the reputation of some great DB coach.

I love how you assume he’s a bad coach but keeps getting these studs to come here.

Bet you didn’t complain when Rickey Gibson, Jordan Mathews, and Kaleb Beasley committed.

There’s no talent in the secondary to play man to man coverage which is why we’re having to play off the receivers 90% of the time.

This was the same issue last year though. How long does WM keep getting a pass? Last Saturday, our DBs looked like they have never took a snap in their lives. They seem to be getting worse

There’s no talent in the secondary to play man to man coverage which is why we’re having to play off the receivers 90% of the time.
Not kidding but you can give me 5 random dudes from this forum for our secondary and our normal rotation at DL and LB and I could come up with a scheme to stop SC more than once.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
This was the same issue last year though. How long does WM keep getting a pass? Last Saturday, our DBs looked like they have never took a snap in their lives. They seem to be getting worse

In the SEC, you need elite DBs to put pressure on opposing WRs.

Kirby has a backfield loaded with 5*s which is why our receivers struggled on offense all day.

Coaching matters but if most of your players are too slow to play man coverage, you have little chance of success.

The fact you can’t admit he’s a bad coach after watching the secondary these past two years, with the regression.

copied from a post in another thread. Not say he is great but here you go.

2021 full season our defense allowed 42% 3rd down conversions and 53% 4th down conversions.

2022 thru the last game we allowed 36% on 3rd down and 54% on 4th down.

The fourth down stats are hard to judge because they are typically short yardage plays but the 3rd down percentage dropped some. One thing that I did find odd is that we had 44 sacks in 2021 compared to only 23 so far this year. Some of that could be contributed to receivers coming open early but I would say a lot of that comes from a pass rush getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

I love how you assume he’s a bad coach but keeps getting these studs to come here.

Bet you didn’t complain when Rickey Gibson, Jordan Mathews, and Kaleb Beasley committed.
They committed to Tennessee. Not necessarily Martinez, or maybe they did. No one knows but the 3 of them, but to suggest that Willie Martinez is the reason those 3 are currently committed to Tennessee is preposterous

Lol. There is no assuming he is a bad coach. I am not arguing against his recruiting. I see you just glossed over it so I will ask again.

I don’t want to hear about his recruiting or that you think recruits like him. Give me the data that says since he came here, Martinez is a good DB coach. Numbers. Not you usual crap. Actual numbers.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93
copied from a post in another thread. Not say he is great but here you go.

2021 full season our defense allowed 42% 3rd down conversions and 53% 4th down conversions.

2022 thru the last game we allowed 36% on 3rd down and 54% on 4th down.

The fourth down stats are hard to judge because they are typically short yardage plays but the 3rd down percentage dropped some. One thing that I did find odd is that we had 44 sacks in 2021 compared to only 23 so far this year. Some of that could be contributed to receivers coming open early but I would say a lot of that comes from a pass rush getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage.

2021- 13th in the SEC in passing yards per game at 251

2022- 13th in the SEC on passing yards allowed at 303 per game

So under Martinez we have actually gotten worse in the secondary. And that’s despite our DL playing better than it did last year.

So under Martinez we have actually gotten worse in the secondary. And that’s despite our DL playing better than it did last year.

Is that really surprising? last year we had 2 draft worthy DBs, how many this year? This years overall record has put us in play for players on both sides of the ball, coming into last year not so much. All we had to sell was the Heupel magic on that side of the ball. As far as I know CJH has not tipped his hand on whether he believes any other DB coach could have done better, and that would have to be the primary factor in his decision-making process.

As I have indicated before, I believe that the DB commits thoughts on a coaching change will be a huge factor. He is aware of what was actually expressed by himself and the DC to these recruits concerning this position coach's near-term future. If we have been selling he is a great coach in need of their talents, it is what it is. It is one thing to lose a coach, it is another to push him out the door before or after signing day. Given the noise surrounding this issue I would be surprised if these guys have not directly asked for a status and received one as early signing day approaches. If we don't go 6-6 out of the current group we may have an answer.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

I guess CJH doesn’t get credit for Hooker since he didn’t coach him the first few years. Got it.

I am not a Martinez fan. But whether it is him or someone else it is VERY doubtful we ever rank in the upper half of the SEC in passing yards allowed with the current offense. If our defense is stout agai st the run other teams are forced to pass to try to keep up.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

VN Store

Back