‘23 AL ATH Tony Mitchell

Sounding like SEC is gonna go with 1 traditional game & 8 others every year. Might not be playing Florida regular after ‘23.

Sounding like SEC is gonna go with 1 traditional game & 8 others every year. Might not be playing Florida regular after ‘23.
That would probably give us Vandy. Bama would get Auburn. Florida would get Georgia. Ole Miss would get Miss St. When they enter, Texas and OU would stick together. Not sure how they'd pair up the other 6 teams.

Reactions: Ericvol2096

Source? Otherwise, I’m calling BS. I had heard it was going to be 3 permanents and 6 rotating. That would be a terrible move. That means no Auburn/UGA, TN/Bama, TX/A&M, FL/LSU, etc.

Reactions: onevol74
Source? Otherwise, I’m calling BS. I had heard it was going to be 3 permanents and 6 rotating.
Last I heard, they were still debating between the 1-8 model and the 3-6 model. I hadn't heard they'd actually come to a decision.

Reactions: onevol74
Last I heard, they were still debating between the 1-8 model and the 3-6 model. I hadn't heard they'd actually come to a decision.

They hadn’t, but it is obvious that is the one they would pick. Preserves rivalries and makes more money for the conference. Plus the bigger schools want that model. No brainer.

Kentucky would have to get rid of a cupcake to keep playing Louisville….boo-hoo.

They hadn’t, but it is obvious that is the one they would pick. Preserves rivalries and makes more money for the conference. Plus the bigger schools want that model. No brainer.

Kentucky would have to get rid of a cupcake to keep playing Louisville….boo-hoo.
Nothing is obvious in the SEC.

Source? Otherwise, I’m calling BS. I had heard it was going to be 3 permanents and 6 rotating. That would be a terrible move. That means no Auburn/UGA, TN/Bama, TX/A&M, FL/LSU, etc.

is there a rule you cannot schedule another SEC team with the other 3 openings? Just should not or would not count in conference standings. One less cupcake and you can get it done in the the years a team is not in your rotation.

Doug Mathews said it was leaning this way especially if playoffs expand.

Now, who’s your source?

FWIW, I agree with you that it’s stupid for the SEC to throw out so many rivalries that has made the conference #1 (Tenn/Fla, Bama/LSU, etc) but it seems that playing every team at least once every 4 years is extremely popular.

Last edited:

They haven’t but it depends on playoffs. If playoffs stay at 4, Mathews says SEC will stay at 8 conference games most likely. If it goes to 12 team playoff, SEC will go 9 and 1-8 seems most popular.

They haven’t but it depends on playoffs. If playoffs stay at 4, Mathews says SEC will stay at 8 conference games most likely. If it goes to 12 team playoff, SEC will go 9 and 1-8 seems most popular.

I am in a bad place. I want an expansion, but don't like 4 teams getting a bye. So I guess I like 16 but know it has been summarily dismissed as an option. I just don't understand why. Rather they play weaker teams than air and no extra game days required. I would prefer 8 to 12.

In basketball you can pay for 3 five star players, and win a conference title. They go to the NBA after one season, and the next year you do it all over again. Football isn't exactly a rinse and repeat sport. It will always be about a team effort. It will always require team chemistry to be successful.
As it should, football is no doubt a team game. Getting all the moving parts working right at the same time is a thing of beauty! But when not on the same page it can look like a horror show. That’s what makes football great, there is so much going on. GBO!

VN Store

Back