Ainge says Miles picked up signal in 2007 SECC game

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
This week on his radio show, Erik Ainge talked about throwing the pick six with a little less than 10 minutes to go in the game that gave LSU a 21-14 lead.

Ainge said he ran play four times previously and had three completions. He said he didn't change up the signal and LSU picked up on it.

The play call was 'Indy' (from Peyton) and he made the mistake of signaling the receivers before calling the line. That gave their sideline time to pick up and relay the message to their secondary.

That play might have cost the Vols an SEC Championship.

Pretty interesting story, I thought.

Reactions: 16 people
In a similar deal,

In 2006, Florida scored its first and last Td from the same spot on the field with the same play because they expected and got the exact coverage they got.

In 99 and 00, they knew the crucial toss sweeps that were called were coming

Reactions: 1 person
It really is that competitive. Its crazy to what lengths coaches will goto to gain an edge.

In a similar deal,

In 2006, Florida scored its first and last Td from the same spot on the field with the same play because they expected and got the exact coverage they got.

In 99 and 00, they knew the crucial toss sweeps that were called were coming

In 00, Jabar Gaffney still did NOT catch the ball!

Reactions: 78 people
It really is that competitive. Its crazy to what lengths coaches will goto to gain an edge.

What edge? You ran the same play with the same cadence and same indicator four times.
Heck I could pick up on that.

That's on us not LSU

Reactions: 16 people
Weren't we passing to the 5 yard routes the entire game? I thought LSU just made the play because we were predictable. IIRC we weren't throwing the ball deep at all.

If I remember correctly the receiver didn't come back to the ball either which allowed the cb to get a clean jump on it. Could be thinking of a different play but I believe that was it.

Weren't we passing to the 5 yard routes the entire game? I thought LSU just made the play because we were predictable. IIRC we weren't throwing the ball deep at all.

A real oddity too. Cut just took away everything down field most of that season. Did I hear correctly that it was because of the finger injury to EA?

Even if his finger/thumb injury were the reason, then how could you expect him to throw that WR screen with enough velocity?

I've always felt that "stealing" signs or just picking up on tendencies is overrated...Execution, mismatching, and proper spacing can and will rule the day IMO...Even if you know what I'm going to do...IF..i can do it properly it still should work... most of the time...and plays should be executed with the expectation the defense DOES KNOW what you're going to do...but that's just me...

What edge? You ran the same play with the same cadence and same indicator four times.
Heck I could pick up on that.

That's on us not LSU

What do you mean " what edge "

That the coaches are looking to pick up signals from the QB so the DB's know what they are about to run....I would say that would be a edge.

A real oddity too. Cut just took away everything down field most of that season. Did I hear correctly that it was because of the finger injury to EA?

Even if his finger/thumb injury were the reason, then how could you expect him to throw that WR screen with enough velocity?

We had no downfield threat that season. Lucas Taylor had about a thousand yards, all on hitch routes.

This week on his radio show, Erik Ainge talked about throwing the pick six with a little less than 10 minutes to go in the game that gave LSU a 21-14 lead.

Ainge said he ran play four times previously and had three completions. He said he didn't change up the signal and LSU picked up on it.

The play call was 'Indy' (from Peyton) and he made the mistake of signaling the receivers before calling the line. That gave their sideline time to pick up and relay the message to their secondary.

That play might have cost the Vols an SEC Championship.

Pretty interesting story, I thought.

(Dirty) water under the bridge. Learn the lesson and move on.

We had no downfield threat that season. Lucas Taylor had about a thousand yards, all on hitch routes.

This. Always thought Coach Cutcliffe did a remarkable job that season as far as constructing an offense that was fairly potent with such a weak down field passing attack. Also helped that Arian Foster had a very productive season.

No excuse for signals being stolen. If players wore wrist bands that were exchanged every series, like cryptographic one-time pads, this absolutely could not happen. "48" would be a new play every series. There are actually many options to ensure secure communications. We obviously, at least in 2007, chose not to employ them.

having players pay attention and communicate is not a "length" one goes to. IMO its what should be expected.

This happens in every college and NFL game played its part of the game. Also happens in poker, boxing, basketball, baseball, hitting on random chicks. Pay attention to tells and take advantage of them.

And Pig scored the TD before fumbling on that end around vs UGA! Go watch it in slow mo. Dude scored

If one synchronises the end zone view with CBS view this will be found 100% correct. Replay officials over turned the TD based on one view and INCORRECTLY assumed that the ball was slipping out of hand before crossing the plane. End zone view proves he did NOT lose control until after crossing plane.

A travesty that most don't realize. Probably best at this point that they don't.

Reactions: 2 people
I've always felt that "stealing" signs or just picking up on tendencies is overrated...Execution, mismatching, and proper spacing can and will rule the day IMO...Even if you know what I'm going to do...IF..i can do it properly it still should work... most of the time...and plays should be executed with the expectation the defense DOES KNOW what you're going to do...but that's just me...

It's not PRIMARY. But, if youve ever played competitive sports, there is always some sort of chess match happening to try and get a little advantage. When you can "guess" accordingly it can be an advantage at an opportune time.

Remember Jordans last game for the Bulls? Scored to tie game, then when Karl Malone who had it on the block for probably 95% odds of taking back the lead. But Jordan snuck behind him and stripped him and stole it before his scoring move began Jordan goes back down and drains the game winner. Bulls win title #6.

That steal was exactly one of those tendency moments. Just a popular example that came to mind.

VN Store

Back