Ainge says Miles picked up signal in 2007 SECC game

It's not PRIMARY. But, if youve ever played competitive sports, there is always some sort of chess match happening to try and get a little advantage. When you can "guess" accordingly it can be an advantage at an opportune time.

Remember Jordans last game for the Bulls? Scored to tie game, then when Karl Malone who had it on the block for probably 95% odds of taking back the lead. But Jordan snuck behind him and stripped him and stole it before his scoring move began Jordan goes back down and drains the game winner. Bulls win title #6.

That steal was exactly one of those tendency moments. Just a popular example that came to mind.
paying attention pays off

In a similar deal,

In 2006, Florida scored its first and last Td from the same spot on the field with the same play because they expected and got the exact coverage they got.

In 99 and 00, they knew the crucial toss sweeps that were called were coming

Fulmer was as predictable as sunrise.

Reactions: 1 person
True in some cases. And guess fans should be expected to see a 16yr vet coach that way. And smash mouth running ain't based on deception really.

But, I will give Fulmer credit for 2004. That 2 QB system of Schaefer and Ainge was so much fun and so against the grain. We we're undefeated when BS started and EA followed. Then AU (legitimately won the Natty) beat us and both QBs eventually got hurt, and derailed us.

This week on his radio show, Erik Ainge talked about throwing the pick six with a little less than 10 minutes to go in the game that gave LSU a 21-14 lead.

Ainge said he ran play four times previously and had three completions. He said he didn't change up the signal and LSU picked up on it.

The play call was 'Indy' (from Peyton) and he made the mistake of signaling the receivers before calling the line. That gave their sideline time to pick up and relay the message to their secondary.

That play might have cost the Vols an SEC Championship.

Pretty interesting story, I thought.
Old News!

If I remember correctly the receiver didn't come back to the ball either which allowed the cb to get a clean jump on it. Could be thinking of a different play but I believe that was it.

I went back and watched it. Looked like Ainge's back foot went into the ground and the DB just drove on the ball and it was over. Either a bad route or the DB knew exactly what to look for.

I've always felt that "stealing" signs or just picking up on tendencies is overrated...Execution, mismatching, and proper spacing can and will rule the day IMO...Even if you know what I'm going to do...IF..i can do it properly it still should work... most of the time...and plays should be executed with the expectation the defense DOES KNOW what you're going to do...but that's just me...

If I know the play you are about to run, I will blow it up every time. Either by loading the point of attack or double up on the go to WR.
I’m going to disguise what I’m doing so you will keep running the same play. Any DB at that level can cover a route that they know is about to happen. Just go to where the ball is going to be thrown. The only trick is baiting the QB into thinking it’s open when all along the DB is waiting for the ball to get in the air to make their move.

That was our problem with Butch’s game plans. We had defenses lining up to shoot gaps made by our blocking scheme based off film study. If I don’t have to worry about the Guard blocking me because I know where he is going on the snap of the ball I can shoot the gap he makes due to his 1st step.

Sometimes if s good DC can guess right on either run/pass they can dial up a defensive package to stuff it. If they know the actual play and can sell out to stop it, it will get stuffed in SEC play.

A real oddity too. Cut just took away everything down field most of that season. Did I hear correctly that it was because of the finger injury to EA?

Even if his finger/thumb injury were the reason, then how could you expect him to throw that WR screen with enough velocity?

All the more reason why Cut should have had Crompton ready to play. Ainge had already shown that he was a choke artist. Should have gave Crompton more reps.

I've always felt that "stealing" signs or just picking up on tendencies is overrated...Execution, mismatching, and proper spacing can and will rule the day IMO...Even if you know what I'm going to do...IF..i can do it properly it still should work... most of the time...and plays should be executed with the expectation the defense DOES KNOW what you're going to do...but that's just me...

Knowing exactly what play an offense will run gives quite an advantage. The perfect example of this is when the Raiders played the Bucs in the SB. Gruden was playing his former team and basically knew their entire playbook. They crushed the Raiders.

All the more reason why Cut should have had Crompton ready to play. Ainge had already shown that he was a choke artist. Should have gave Crompton more reps.

Ainge was definitely up and down.

Crompton just wasn't very good.

Kudos to the Hat, we hadnt exactly lit it up to that point. DB read play all the way. Remember it like it was yesterday. Sitting on opposite side of stands. Plain as day.

Now the real issues is this, since the early 2000's, Tennessee's offense should know how to tackle and react to a turnover. That is completely inexcusable!

I wouldn't say Ainge was a choke artist, especially after Cut arrived. Those 2 yrs he completed 65% of his passes, threw for 6500 yards, 50 TD's and 19 Int's. Was 19-7 as the starter,0-2 vs Fla, 2-0 vs GA and 1-1 vs Ala. 5-5 vs Top 25, SEC East Championship. That LSU team won the BCS that year we played them in the SEC Championship. Ainge was our offense that game, we didn't even get 100 rushing yards. He was a different QB once Cut coached him. We would have never won the East had Crompton started. He was horrid that next year as the starter, until Kiffin turned him around. I think Cut would have had Crompton playing better in '08, had he stayed at TN. If Ainge was a choke artist, then you would have to say Dobb's was too and even Peyton because he couldn't beat Fla or win a NC. And I wouldn't ever label Peyton as a choke artist. He was just asked to do way too much. Have to agree to disagree on this, but I respect your right to think that! His first 2 years were very erratic and was extremely immature. Those first 2 years, he wasn't always the most likable.

Cut told Fulmer when he arrived in the offseason of 2006-07 that Crompton was never going to be the answer. He handpicked BJ Coleman to be the next guy. If Cut had not taken the Duke job, Coleman would have been the likely starter as a RSFR in 2008.

Reactions: 2 people
What do you mean " what edge "

That the coaches are looking to pick up signals from the QB so the DB's know what they are about to run....I would say that would be a edge.

If the other team figures out your signals because they can put 2 and 2 together, that’s on you.

Reactions: 3 people
can you post it ? I cant find it

Here's the CBS TV view, what the fans got to see, and what the replay booth used to OVERTURN the TD ...
Tennessee - Pig Howard Loses Ball - YouTube

Local TV camera view: Can't find on Youtube any more? Help; if anyone saved it or knows how to find it.
It was from the back of the end zone. Synchronize this with the moment that the defender hits Pig's feet. You'll notice that the ball is still SECURED by the tip in his hand when he crosses the plane (front of the G/L). It's after the hit to the feet and after crossing the plane that the tip of the ball is shaken out of Pig's grip. TD called correctly on the field. Taken away on an assumption by replay.

And Pig scored the TD before fumbling on that end around vs UGA! Go watch it in slow mo. Dude scored

Pig play was questionable. If UGA scored the same way and won because the refs didn't overturn it, we'd still be bi-ching about it today.

The question is does 3 fingers plus thumb on top of football constitute control. Personally, I think he lost control on 1 foot line but it's not entirely conclusive and ref that called TD on field thought he had enough control.

Cut told Fulmer when he arrived in the offseason of 2006-07 that Crompton was never going to be the answer. He handpicked BJ Coleman to be the next guy. If Cut had not taken the Duke job, Coleman would have been the likely starter as a RSFR in 2008.

CJ Boleman

And Pig scored the TD before fumbling on that end around vs UGA! Go watch it in slow mo. Dude scored

Oh yes, yes he did, we was so robbed, the earth is...

OHx7vaH.gif

If one synchronises the end zone view with CBS view this will be found 100% correct. Replay officials over turned the TD based on one view and INCORRECTLY assumed that the ball was slipping out of hand before crossing the plane. End zone view proves he did NOT lose control until after crossing plane.

A travesty that most don't realize. Probably best at this point that they don't.

I've always thought he scored. Was even called an idiot on here for insisting that he did.

VN Store

Back