Ainge Nailed It

It’s the football equivalent of a pilot stopping flying the plane once he can see the runway. You got to bring that baby home. Can’t just coast
Except pilots literally coast/glide their way to the ground lmao!! That’s how you get it on the ground

Reactions: Vol4life2
vfl82jp,When you have real pain,whether from surgery or injury,you will not get addicted to the pain killers.It's when you keep taking them after you no longer need to,that addiction can occur.I had an injury in 1999, a torn tendon and acruptured tendon in my left hip.I was given darvoset and demerol taking six each daily. When it was resolved after three weeks,I stopped taking them cold.No addiction. If you need it,as Hendon did,if he was given something for relief,he'll be fine.
Yah, that comment was really more about Erik Ainge and his (well documented and discussed) addiction to opioids after his career was over, which did begin as treatment for pain from injuries sustained playing football.

Certainly no intent to say Hendon or any of our lads playing the game today would have such troubles.

Except pilots literally coast/glide their way to the ground lmao!! That’s how you get it on the ground
Not true, friend. No pilot shuts down the engine and glides/coasts, unless engine problems give them no other choice. They throttle down to a low setting, but keep the engine running and prop turning. Specifically because they want to be able to slam the throttle forward and attempt a touch & go if something's not right. :)

As for stopping flying, that's even less true. Some of the most meticulous moments at the stick are when they're coming in for landing. They're working harder there than anywhere else in flight. They're not gliding, they're flying the plane very deliberately until it intersects (hopefully gently) with the earth.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I am amazed at how many medical and aeronautical experts we have on this forum. Everything from pain control to piloting an aircraft is available here. Oh, was the original post addressed?

I am amazed at how many medical and aeronautical experts we have on this forum. Everything from pain control to piloting an aircraft is available here. Oh, was the original post addressed?
Some of us have rich and varied life experiences, and a whole lot of years to put them in. :)

And yes, it was.

Reactions: utchs81
I fly for a living. My relatives are all physicians, PA’s and nurses. Hearing the medical people talk is big.
I’m the only one that had enough sense to stay away from the crap they put up with!

Last edited:
I would agree... except UT's O makes more mistakes when they aren't being aggressive.
A 4th quarter bruising running game was always my favorite Vol technique. Of course, that’s when we were azz kickers.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Some of us have rich and varied life experiences, and a whole lot of years to put them in. :)

And yes, it was.
No doubt JP, I was primarily talking about the obvious "experts" who were giving erroneous information on those topics and stating them as fact.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I agree. You could see it in their eyes. They thought the game was over and lost their edge when it mattered most. The whole stadium was celebrating a W with 2 minutes left in the game.

I hope they all learned from that experience.
This 👆…. Yes please… They seem like the self aware types . Let’s hope that is the case . We will find out Sat for sure

I’ve heard Hooker was hurting pretty bad at the end is why they were conservative the last possession. It kinda supports my theory he probably took a shot of some medication after he was initially hurt. He was clearly in pain in the 2nd Qtr but managed thru and played great 3rd Qtr. Probably the medication began to wear off by late 4th Qtr.

I know many here probably think “Oh my beloved Tennessee wouldn’t do that.” Yes they all do. It’s as part of the game as taping ankles.
Do enlighten us , what is this medication?

Not sure who else listens to their show/podcast. I do once in a while. Today to begin hour 2 they discussed CJH's comment about the team playing like it is 0-0 all the time. He pointed out that it wasn't the team that took their foot off the gas vs UF with a 17 point game. It was the coordinators' playcalling that changed. He pointed out that you can say "0-0" all you want but if the coaches go prevent... the players get that message and their intensity drops.

I hope ALL learned that lesson- players and coaches.
But did they take their foot off the gas really? I know they started letting the clock run down between plays and ran a bit more but that just made sense to me, they were still throwing on the possession where they should have kicked the field goal, Idk, my thought was we totally blew the gameplan on defense and it nearly cost us the game, hard for me to say slowing down and eating clock on the offensive side hurt us, heck if we hadn't taken that time off the clock who knows what would have happened...

But did they take their foot off the gas really? I know they started letting the clock run down between plays and ran a bit more but that just made sense to me, they were still throwing on the possession where they should have kicked the field goal, Idk, my thought was we totally blew the gameplan on defense and it nearly cost us the game, hard for me to say slowing down and eating clock on the offensive side hurt us, heck if we hadn't taken that time off the clock who knows what would have happened...
I think his point and I agree was that the playcalling changed too early. If you think about it, there wouldn't be much discussion and the perception of the D's performance wouldn't be so bad if the game had ended 38-21. AR still would have had a good game and a season changing game.... but he threw for about 145 in those last 7 minutes. That completely changed the flavor of the win.

Many of these same people would be in here complaining because we turned it over while running our regular offense!

We would hear, why in the world didn’t we take time off the clock?

They don't call it that but the "4 minute offense" is essentially an effort to play keep away or position for a punt.

Heupel hasn't been bad so far but my greatest frustration with Fulmer was his "play not to lose" mentality. If he had a lead, he went into a shell and tried to run the clock out vs good teams. Most good coaches have moved on from that generally but they all have a "4 minute offense".

About 95% of NCAA coaches run clock vs risking an error in that situation. That 95% includes the last four national champions. Ainge is a local disc jockey who likes drama, and pretending like he’s still relevant. I prefer playing the offense as is, and putting them away, but smarter people disagree. We have no idea what the additional variables are there, but Florida pulling off two scores and recovering a kick in that timeframe are close to statistically impossible.

Reactions: VAVol85
About 95% of NCAA coaches run clock vs risking an error in that situation. That 95% includes the last four national champions.
And you still have to know your team and your own roster's capabilities. It wasn't like AR just got hot in the 4th quarter. He had been accurate all day. He was around 300 yds or so already. If UT had been getting stops playing base D then OK... run clock, avoid the risks. They weren't... and then went softer and stopped running stunts and blitzes up front.

Ainge is a local disc jockey who likes drama, and pretending like he’s still relevant. I prefer playing the offense as is, and putting them away, but smarter people disagree. We have no idea what the additional variables are there, but Florida pulling off two scores and recovering a kick in that timeframe are close to statistically impossible.
Normally... you'd be right. With the way the D was giving up yardage in that game before the end... it was MUCH more probable.

I'm not saying that "conventional wisdom" is always wrong... only that this wasn't a "conventional" situation. And he is absolutely right about the effects of going prevent, "taking the foot off the gas". Once your playcalling indicates you think you've won... players do relax.

Many of these same people would be in here complaining because we turned it over while running our regular offense!
Really? How do you know that? Personally, I don't think UT can afford to EVER be anything but aggressive with their playcalling with this D. They need to do everything possible to pressure the QB and close passing windows even if there are more risks. They just aren't good enough at this point to play base D and stop good opponents.

We would hear, why in the world didn’t we take time off the clock?
Or not. The reality is that they tried to do that and failed. UF got back into a game that was essentially "over" when UT stopped being aggressive on both sides of the ball.

This is not a team that can sit on leads.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Lol u really have no clue how these meds work and should stop posting.
Shirley you don't mean that. They actually work wonderfully to block pain receptors in the brain. That's why there's been an opioid crisis for over a decade now in this country. I've actually lost two different friends to OD. I've had multiple surgeries that required prolonged use, which is always fun to come off of btw.

We recently starting professionally testing clandestine drug labs that were busted by the law for Fentanyl because it has become so prevalent and writing decontamination protocols for contractors to complete. We are actually the first company in the state to do it and man is if effin scary. It requires full dress out to do that one and paramedics standing by with Narcan. So yeah I know a thing or two about them. But thanks for trying to belittle me and for your contribution to the thread.

Lots of assumptions about sideline meds ITT have been disputed by some folks on VN who may be trained medical professionals. Only on VN can you post a link to someone reputable in the Vol community saying he and several other players got opiates from a team doctor and have multiple folks come in and criticize you for it, in a thread about this same guy FTR.

Glad to hear the CJH realized the mistake he and his staff made during the Florida game, and that it could of cost him the game. Hopefully they don't do it again.

Hindsight is always best, but I had to question the end of game strategy. They hadn't stopped us all day, Hooker never throws interceptions and one or 2 more first downs would have run out the clock.

Hindsight is always best, but I had to question the end of game strategy. They hadn't stopped us all day, Hooker never throws interceptions and one or 2 more first downs would have run out the clock.

The play call would have been a one on one 20+ yard throw. You have to watch the defensive alignment. UF played press man on our WR’s. Our normal offense would be to let Tillman or Hyatt or McCoy beat the man deep. But a deep throw then results in a lower percentage play, and an incompletion gives UF an extra timeout. Defense was not giving us a short pass. The only other option would have been to run a wider running play or maybe an option. The option though exposes your QB and could force him to pitch it.

Our offense is predicated on defensive alignment, and UF wanted us to throw but knew we should run.

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles

VN Store

Back