Ahmad Moten better than Nolen

That's the point. In the SEC, he's gonna be playing against guys as big and as strong as he is. He's not going to be able to just "dominate" like he did in HS. Has he got the stones to work his ass off to get in shape then go toe to toe with guys that will bust him in the chops play after play? Time will tell. Not sure I'd put money on him to be honest.
I agree with that. I believe once he gets in a structured situation like any athlete you either thrive in it or get exposed.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
That's the point. In the SEC, he's gonna be playing against guys as big and as strong as he is. He's not going to be able to just "dominate" like he did in HS. Has he got the stones to work his ass off to get in shape then go toe to toe with guys that will bust him in the chops play after play? Time will tell. Not sure I'd put money on him to be honest.

Kid has the potential to come in and be an Arron Donald type player.Thats prob a stretch,but u get my drift.You can't teach that size and ability.Sayin that he could also come in and be Khali McKenzie.Super hyped recruit that sh*t the bed over injures or whatever.I think Khali was a bit lazy and entitled and didn't really wanna put the work in but that's jmo.I hope Nolen whenever he decides to end up at puts the work in cause he's got a 10 year career if things line up right.Im with you tho I wouldn't take that bet,but I also don't wanna dog a kid 2 much.Will see n a few years how this one plays out

Reactions: Majors
Ya know, those folks at Rivals and 247 are absolute experts at predicting success. I remember they had Jarrett Guarantano listed as the #1 Dual and #7 overall QB in the 2016 class (79 overall). Oh yea, these guys were in the same class. I'm sure no one reading this would have traded good ole JG for any of these.

Justin Herbert (659 overall)
Jalen Hurts
Jordan Love
D’Wayne Haskins
Jacob Eason
Ian Book

EDIT: Freudian slip. I initially wrote Jalen Hurd instead of Jalen Hurts. My bad.
I mean.. you know statistically the stars are right more than wrong right?

Reactions: Majors
Kid has the potential to come in and be an Arron Donald type player.Thats prob a stretch,but u get my drift.You can't teach that size and ability.Sayin that he could also come in and be Khali McKenzie.Super hyped recruit that sh*t the bed over injures or whatever.I think Khali was a bit lazy and entitled and didn't really wanna put the work in but that's jmo.I hope Nolen whenever he decides to end up at puts the work in cause he's got a 10 year career if things line up right.Im with you tho I wouldn't take that bet,but I also don't wanna dog a kid 2 much.Will see n a few years how this one plays out
You’ll either get McKenzie, Haynesworth or Henderson. All 3 hyped, all 3 very different on the field, all 3 different personalities in coaching

He must have ruined the season for his HS team.
He was inconsequential. After an early locker room fight was hushed away, and he took himself out of playing multiple times a game when he wanted to, the only toxicity left was his mom getting a new car and house courtesy of coach and the Potts lol

Just because we didn't get Nolen stop the hate.
Lol, in all seriousness Nolen has immense talent. He takes a lot of plays off though. That mental weakness usually makes a player soft. Add to that the fact that he’s more worried about money than anything else and I’m fine with not landing him. My stance hasn’t changed his whole recruitment.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Anyone who watched Nolen play at Powell saw a kid laying on the field 5+ times a game. He took himself out of the game several times and needed more attention from trainers than the rest of the team combined. That will not translate into success at the next level. It's easy for a 320 pound DT to dominate 240-250 pound high school Olinemen. He will not have that luxury in college and if he is already having problems with staying on the field in high school he will not make it through a college schedule.

This isn't anger because he didn't sign with UT. This is simply facts. I have said for months I believe he is a bust.

No idea on Moten honestly I do know he’s a legacy at Miami. If he comes here I wouldn’t bet against Garner making him a force on dline.

No idea about which one will be better. Neither is where they will have to be to be "great".

Guys it’s time for all to quit squabbling about a player that is now a Aggie. No doubt he is a great talent and if he focuses on improving and working hard the sky is the limit in time. I would have been happy with him being a Vol, he is a take on potential alone. No hate at all toward Nolen. I don’t even know him. Now having said that and watched his film and watching him play, it is clear no one should be expecting to see him come in and dominate. The eye test says while he dominate stretches he did relax at times. Played with high pad leverage especially when tired. One good year of strength and conditioning will do wonders if he takes to it. I do think there are players coming out of high school that are in better condition and also better technique wise. I trust our coaches and no reason for folks to fret over what folks think about one player. If he gets better at them things he will be a elite player in time. But I don’t think he is the best most college ready player coming out at this time. He may have the most upside or at least in that group. Great pick up by A@M, time will tell the rest. Go Big Orange!!!!

Just saying. come to Tenn. Home of the best DT coach in the country.

Absolutely he is…no question at all in my mind…that is until he chooses someone other than UT..,then I don’t give a s*** which one is better

He was inconsequential. After an early locker room fight was hushed away, and he took himself out of playing multiple times a game when he wanted to, the only toxicity left was his mom getting a new car and house courtesy of coach and the Potts lol

Did he put someone in the hospital or was it high school kids pushing each other around? Agree on him taking himself out and needing attention more than the rest, those things take care of themselves in college.

How do you know his mom got a car and house? Potts is in the car industry but the house has me curious.

Nolen can play. If you've seen him live you know this kid is different than the rest of the kids out there. For a high school kid his size he has the ability to take games over on defense as a naturally gifted athlete. Once he gets to college his weaknesses will be addressed like conditioning.

Not hating on the kid, but a few guys I work with that watched him play several times this year said he definitely lacks motivation. I guess that's a nice way to say he plays lazy.

Not hating on the kid, but a few guys I work with that watched him play several times this year said he definitely lacks motivation. I guess that's a nice way to say he plays lazy.
Anyone who saw him would say that too. But his god given size, speed and ability (when he's motivated) is why he's #2. Like I said in a previous post, he to me is more Hayensworth than he is Henderson right now. Hyanesworth had the same issues/concerns, Henderson was day 1 ready except in the classroom.

Did he put someone in the hospital or was it high school kids pushing each other around? Agree on him taking himself out and needing attention more than the rest, those things take care of themselves in college.

How do you know his mom got a car and house? Potts is in the car industry but the house has me curious.
Lol do some research. Nolan’s parents came to Knoxville area to go to maryville or Catholic but Powell paid them more

Yes and I’ll take that as a yes. I remember how hyped McKenzie was. Disappointing
How quickly people forget. They see 5* and automatically think "next best thing ever". I bet 90% of the people commenting did not watch him play in high school. SEC offensive linemen will eat him alive.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Yes and I’ll take that as a yes. I remember how hyped McKenzie was. Disappointing
Rather or not he will be a bust isn't the point. The fact that grown men can't stop talking negative about a young man because he didn't choose our team is really pointless.

Last edited:
Reactions: swampfoxfan
Yep. Don't know if Moten is better or not, but theres more than just talent involved. There's also effort and fit that go along with talent. I can't imagine the hours Garner and the other coaches keep. Job plus recruiting is a load and very time consuming. If I'm a position coach, the last thing I want to deal with is a lazy prima donna. Even if I had the time to try and bring the best out of a player like that, there's no guarantee you can reach that inner fire and ignite it. Instead, I'm gonna look for kids that love the game and have that drive to compete. Makes my life and job much easier. I have a very hard time seeing Nolan coming to UT to play for Rodney Garner. That makes Moten far more likely to wear orange IMO.
Aka, Jordan Phillips. This kid will turn out to be a steal. Loves the game, plays with an extremely high motor, highly self motivated, loves hard coaching, wants to be great. If RG coaches him his entire time here, you will see him all sec, possible all american and future NFL player. Book it.

VN Store

Back