Agree or Disagree

Thank God and thank you for the update .. kid's well being no matter what team is first and foremost .. but damn that dude is big and talented .. if he can get back on the field at the same level, he's a top 3 pick in the draft

<blue font> "There willl never be a physician anywhere that will sign off on Trey Smith playing college football ever again. Not nowhere no way no how. My cousin Trallis May Muckingfuch had exactly what he had and Trallis knows everything there is to know about blood clots and modern medicine up to the minute and Trallis says no as well! Trallis says Trey went through the T for the last time last season." Trey is undertaking this football effort on a fool's errand per many shade tree "medical experts" here on VN. I happen to think Trey & Pruitt both know more about his condition than posters making proclamations about it here on VN do. He may never play another down, I honestly do not know. But he sure is not spending his time acting like a person that will never play another down again. My expectation is if he does, we have a contigent of VN posters crawl on their bellies like reptiles and lap at their plates of crow for claiming to know more about Trey's condition than Trey does/did.

I don't agree or disagree. Here's why. I see this as the same thing the Dallas Cowboys faced with Dak Prescott. When Dak took over in Dallas he had a SB caliber team around him with the o line, Zeke and Dez. So in 2016 he had a history making season. Def coordinators had all off season to evaluate him afterwards so Fast forward to 2017 and he can't throw accurately downfield on a consistent basis. The result of that was def loading the box to stop the run and short passing game. They miss the playoffs. 1 yr later he is quoted saying "I'm not sure that anyone needs a #1 (receiver)" a few months later they cut Dez. With no deep threat there were times that there were 10...yes 10 in the box. Dak, Zeke nor the o line could get out of their own way. They sign Amari Cooper and things in big D seem A-ok. 🤔
UT is dealing with the same exact thing. Like it or not JG has been evaluated. Def coordinators know he's more likely to check down vs go deep. With no real speed threat on the outside they play within 10-15 yrds of the los. Lbs are a yrd closer. Thus helping in run support as well as stressing the o line more than people give it credit for. If we found a WR with vertical top end speed defenses will have to respect that by putting a safety over the top, lbs back up a yrd or 2 on 3rd down and all of a sudden the o line is better. JG is what we thought he could be and the run game is as talented as we all know Chandler is. Needless to say it's not the qb we need (although he does need get better). Its a fast WR or 2 and the willingness to take advantage of 1 on 1 coverage.

Not one person in here has EVER said JG is “flawless” or “great” or anything of the kind.....plenty have said and continue to say he sucks.

There are several on here that do believe that any and all of JG's flaws lay solely at the feet of the offensive line.

Reactions: sjt18
Not one person in here has EVER said JG is “flawless” or “great” or anything of the kind.....plenty have said and continue to say he sucks.
I think JG is a repository of the blame for the segment of fans who want to believe that we don't/haven't had significant roster problems. If they can convince themselves that JG is awful and the primary cause of our ills, they don't have to face that we have at least a couple more years of reconstruction ahead before we can realistically begin to challenge the best teams on our schedule. They are perfectly willing to ignore the fact that JG has had zero time to throw and essentially no support from the run game, since that allows them to cling to their "player away" fantasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiderotsGhost
You're right.
But I would take "of course he has flaws" seriously if they didn't then argue against every single one that's mentioned. Until then, not gonna.
I’ve seen plenty of posts, including my own, that have some variation of “he’s not great” or “he still needs to improve/get better”......while defending him from “he’s terrible”, “he sucks”, “we can’t win with him”......does that count?

There are several on here that do believe that any and all of JG's flaws lay solely at the feet of the offensive line.
I think it’s more like “if he had any time to throw, didn’t get absolutely earholed every other play and had a running game to help, he’d be much better and certainly good enough to help us win more games as the QB”.

Last edited:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-4-sec-east-contenders-from-reaching-atlanta/

This article pins UTs hopes of having a great season on JG but honestly, outsider looking in, I still think it comes down to how the trenches perform. That being said, there are about 5 other things in this article that are just DUMB. Even mentioning Felipe Franks name in the same sentence with "NFL Prospect" is ridiculous until he gets his fuzzy head out of his ass and develops some accuracy which probably ain't happening overnight. Not one QB Mullen has coaches has been super accurate so that thought is subject to debate too.

Anyway, still thinking the Vawls work over the gatuhs, USuCk, UK and Vandy this year. I like them over Mizzou too but still need to see how that team performs early with Bryant.

Jg's success hinges on having any running game. And, i mean even the screen game. Teams have to realize they can just pin their ears back.

I am an armchair guy, but, imho JG will be best served as game manager type qb. This business of airing it out for a first down and hoping for pts is for the birds.

I’ve seen plenty of posts, including my own, that have some variation of “he’s not great” or “he still needs to improve/get better”......while defending him from “he’s terrible”, “he sucks”, “we can’t win with him”......does that count?

I think he should be defended from insane claims like that.
But I said those that say "he needs to improve" then proceed to explain how every critique mentioned was someone else's fault. Often with a quick "hater/basher" thrown in for good measure.

I'll retract my comment the 1st time I'm able to have reasonable conversation about those areas without the above happening.
So far, still waiting.

Reactions: sjt18 and jakez4ut
It's a combination of things. JG can grow with better protection hopefully. He's not pressured on a lot of plays as much as he's just assaulted. Kids tough as nails. I have much respect for him.

There is definitely some differences on here regarding JG .. Watching him the last two years, he has matured to a degree and should take the next step this year. His accuracy is better than overrated Franks and his mentality and consistency is better than overrated Bentley .. yes, he needs time to throw and the same group that could give him that time would also help in the run game which would also produce more time and allow play action plays to mature.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-4-sec-east-contenders-from-reaching-atlanta/

This article pins UTs hopes of having a great season on JG but honestly, outsider looking in, I still think it comes down to how the trenches perform. That being said, there are about 5 other things in this article that are just DUMB. Even mentioning Felipe Franks name in the same sentence with "NFL Prospect" is ridiculous until he gets his fuzzy head out of his ass and develops some accuracy which probably ain't happening overnight. Not one QB Mullen has coaches has been super accurate so that thought is subject to debate too.

Anyway, still thinking the Vawls work over the gatuhs, USuCk, UK and Vandy this year. I like them over Mizzou too but still need to see how that team performs early with Bryant.
Both the OL and JG are issues. Both need to improve significantly. The OL largely due to Jones poor development, possible poor recruiting, poor S&C, and grandiose dreams of "reinventing" the SEC with his "fast" spread offense... was weak, used poor technique, never had a stable lineup, and made tons of mental errors.

That said... JG was not good at making pre-snap reads and did not appear capable of hitting quick passes or hot reads.

UT must get better OL play.... but they also have to have JG play mentally at an SEC level. No QB can expect to have 3 seconds on every play... not even with a great OL.

Reactions: jakez4ut
"Say" it word for word... maybe not. Post as if it is true... see any post by k-town and the 2nd and 3rd response in this particular thread.

In fact, you have done it in so many words... by blaming everything on the OL, RB's, and receivers. So you don't "say" JG is flawless... you just lay blame on everyone else to the exclusion of him.

Everything the guy said about JG in that article is true.

He was protected by the last two OC's by limiting what they gave him and giving him safe plays. The OL was part but not all of that decision. Everything said by Pruitt, JG, and Chaney suggests Chaney is going to put it all on his shoulders. I hope he improves and can handle it.

Do people realize how many average QBs have won national titles and Super Bowls? This may come as a shock to some of you, but having a halfway decent supporting cast and a good defense actually matters.

"Trent Dilfer, please pick up the courtesy phone, Trent Dilfer....."

"Say" it word for word... maybe not. Post as if it is true... see any post by k-town and the 2nd and 3rd response in this particular thread.

In fact, you have done it in so many words... by blaming everything on the OL, RB's, and receivers. So you don't "say" JG is flawless... you just lay blame on everyone else to the exclusion of him.
You're making a pretty big leap there. There's a chasm between "He's flawless" and "The line is a bigger problem."

You're making a pretty big leap there. There's a chasm between "He's flawless" and "The line is a bigger problem."
If you are in the latter group... you weren't the object of my post.

I think JG was a significant problem. I think the OL was a significant problem. I think the receivers were a problem but a much lesser one. I would assign closer to even blame between JG and the OL... but wouldn't argue if someone said it was 25% him and 75% others. There are some here though who won't stand for any concrete suggestion that his weaknesses contributed. They claim not to think he's perfect... then turn the blame to someone else pretty much every time.

3761110_orig.gif

"Linemen, you gotta give Blake at least four-god-d**n-seconds to throw the ball."

If Paul Blake needs 4 seconds, I gotta think JG does, as well.

VN Store

Back