After 3 Years Where Are We Headed?

After a dismal year 3, where do see you see the JH tenure going?

• JH will have us competing for championships in the next 2 years

Votes: 61 21.0%
  • JH peaked last year

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • JH is better than our last three coaches and that's enough for me for now

Votes: 128 44.1%
  • I don't know yet

Votes: 54 18.6%

• Total voters
I don't get why people think that Tennessee should be a major force in football and be competing every year for a national championship. Except for a few years under Fulmer, 20 years ago, we have not been close. Well actually we were close last year at one point (ranked number one in the country and ended the season ranked sixth). How soon we forget. You have to crawl first, walk, and then run. Right now we are walking.

Full disclosure: I have been watching UT football since the 60's and went to school there in the 70's so I know a little bit about the program.
Some players, herring comes to mind look like they’re still crawling

So you actually think a better QB makes up the point spread difference between 3 of these 4 games - Bama, UGA, UF, and Missou?
Absolutely true. Can you see Milton making those 2 throws at the end of last year's Bama game? Those perfect passes to Hyatt that had to land in a 1 yard window, 45 yards down field? How about the instinct to hand it off or keep it, knowing when to run. Milton nearly always makes the wrong decision. In fact, he's regressed. Last year, we outscored people. Our defense was worse. So, yeah, having a QB with the it factor would have beat Bama easily this year and probably everybody but UGA..

This is very true. I think most fans understood that success this year hinged on Milton. He just doesn’t have to mental aspect of the game down.

Well we are at the spot where most everyone expected and that is 8-4. The freak out is due to the let down in second halves vs Bama and Mizzou and the goose egg vs Florida. It’s not that we failed expectations. It’s the fact we had so much hope during games only to have those hopes dashed in the moment that give us the bitter taste in the mouth.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Well we are at the spot where most everyone expected and that is 8-4. The freak out is due to the let down in second halves vs Bama and Mizzou and the goose egg vs Florida. It’s not that we failed expectations. It’s the fact we had so much hope during games only to have those hopes dashed in the moment that give us the bitter taste in the mouth.
Bitter is right. The Mizzou loss was inexcusable….same 3 plays all night and we still couldn’t stop them.

This is just wrong. Nothing about last year was a fluke. With a good QB this year we are probably a one loss team right now.
LOL a Heisman front runner, the best WR in the nation, 1st round LT and was 10-2... but a good (not even great) QB and this team is 11-1? Is this a joke?

I think it's sad some posters use strawman arguments to bash other posters. Nobody, NOBODY was expecting a national championship. However, EVERYONE was expecting to at least be competitive.
Very much like JG year after year, I think we expected the light to come on for Milton this year. However, it didn’t, and our offense was awful in games that really mattered.

Our lack of a good secondary contributed to our woes as well in the big games, and we can only hope it improves next year. Our DBs have to be more aggressive. The bend-but-don’t-break scheme works against mediocre teams, but not against good teams.

Heupel’s greatest sin right now is early success. If he had went 5-7, 7-5, and then 8-4 this year the narrative would be completely different right now.

I have no interest in chastising our coach for being too successful too early

There are less than a handful of players who might get drafted this year, and that’s with us having as many seniors as we do. Our roster is as underwhelming as it has been in over a decade. Our QB play has been anywhere between abysmal to average throughout the course of the year. Despite this we are an 8-4 team. With just some talent on offense we saw that we could easily become a 10+ win team. Hendon Hooker and Hyatt were phenomenal players here, but there is a reason they weren’t drafted in the first round. I can only imagine our ceiling with just 75% of the talent that Georgia has garnered. On the defensive end, more talent and possibly coaching changes are crucial. But even with having average at best talent, we have been a middle of the pack defense the past couple years that can do just enough to beat most teams if the offense is clicking. We should feel fortunate to see where the ceiling could possibly land, while embracing what appears to be a higher floor than we have been used too considering the on field product over the past decade or so.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Here’s the truth of it. We’re going head to head in recruiting with elite teams right now. We’re losing a lot of those battles but winning more than in the past. We would need several classes of top five to close the talent gap on Bama and Georgia.

VN Store

Back