Advanced Metrics Nonsense

Yes. I think it's at 95 games. He shot something like 8 out of 10 from three the other night. I've been watching the NBA since the 70s and I've never seen anything quite like him.

He gave a nice interview after breaking the streak the other night. He said something along the lines of, "This is a team streak, not an individual one. I can't create all those shots."

Who doesn't say stuff like this?

Korver has shot 42% from 3 for his career. It doesn't seem to matter who his teammates are. I would say he deserves as much credit when his teammates have success as they get when he has success. He spreads the floor better than anybody, and that is underappreciated in a league where most guards can beat their man off the dribble. Such a quick and deadly release.

Journalism has really ruined it because they are so thirsty for a story, anything that can be remotely construed as controversial gets blown out of proportion*. It's made athletes and coaches give these stupid regurgitated responses in every press conference and there is no point to any of it. I love Belichik because he does more than anybody to punish journalists for these approach.

* I'm reminded of the time when Manning said they had "protection problems" (2005 Steelers loss) and everyone claimed he threw his team under the bus.

Who doesn't say stuff like this?

You bolded the less interesting part. Everyone says stuff about how it's a team record, not an individual one. I think that's the first time I've heard a basketball player say the credit goes to his teammates because he can't create his own shot.

You bolded the less interesting part. Everyone says stuff about how it's a team record, not an individual one. I think that's the first time I've heard a basketball player say the credit goes to his teammates because he can't create his own shot.

Yeah, I was actually talking to Jerry cause he was highlighting that as the reason for Korver's success. We're always breaking each others' balls.

Last edited:
LMAO, perfect for our discussion about whether or not a 3 pointer in the 2nd quarter counts the same as a 4th quarter 3:

wZEpnUc.gif

Don't they both count as 3 or is this a trick question?

That's what I think, but you need more context.

Basically, the consensus seemed to be that hitting a game-winning shot more than compensates for a poor performance. For example, say a player has a terrible game. If he had had an average game, his team would be up by 10. But he was so bad they are down by 2. He hits a 3. Wins the game. All is forgiven.

I say he still had a bad performance. If he hadn't gone 1/10 in the first half, his team would have coasted to victory. Others were putting more value than 3 points on the game-winner because the game is over and the other team can't recover. They seem to think his making those first half shots change the entire course of events, and doesn't guarantee victory. It does change the course of events (rebound vs inbound), but not not in any significant way, IMO.

I don't think their stupid, and I actually think it's true in other sports, because there are few opportunities to score. So in football, being down 28 will change the way you assess risks. Same would go for soccer, if you're down 2-0 in the first half. But in hoops, you have a good chance to score every possession. So you tend to play a normal strategy.

They all seemed to think I'm stupid, LOL.

The GIF is a reference to the idea that time is a dimension that isn't necessarily sequential.

I don't know who "all" is, but I never said that makes up for a bad game. Simply said late game 3's are bigger for momentum and are more difficult as the game gets tighter late.

Well, I have to speak in somewhat inaccurate generalizations because it was a group of half a dozen or so.

I don't think they're more difficult. I agree with Huff on this given what he posted. I just had a heart attack. RIP.

The pressure is bigger late, defenses tighten up more late that's why I say they are more difficult. Early on games are little more relaxed.

The pressure is bigger late, defenses tighten up more late that's why I say they are more difficult. Early on games are little more relaxed.

That is a good point, and one that was brought up I believe. At the same time, you could say teams are afraid to foul and fouls are awarded more down the stretch (not sure if true, but it seems so) so teams compensate with a tendency to double, creating an open man if you can find him. If you happen to be the open man, you get a great look.

Fair points. But again the pressure of a late close game, cause some guys to miss the same open looks they hit early in the game. Though I do agree they probably have more chances late. Some guys want to be the hero and some guys are afraid of being the goat. That limits options a little.

Ftr I hate that people only equate a shot as clutch. The perfect pass is just as clutch. Random thought.

VN Store

Back