AD White, please listen to the fans

I know I don't speak for all fans, but I tell you, many, many fans do not want an 'up and comer'. We do not want a learn on the job OC or DC--been there, done that. This isn't Central Florida. Vol fans want and deserve a proven winner. My opinion...others may disagree.

Also, I'm aware AD White isn't reading this post---maybe he has people do this.
Please don’t listen to the fans, unless of course you are dumb enough to go after Schiano, which I don’t believe you are. Hire your guy, and let’s build something we can be proud of.

Personally I want Danny White making decisions on who to hire... not fans. It’s his job, it’s what he does. I wouldn’t want an AD coming and telling me how to do my job, so I’m not gonna make the mistake of telling a guy who has proven he knows what he’s doing in his job how to do what he does.

We’re also not OSU, UGA, OU, Clemson, etc....so that means we can hire better proven HC’s when they can’t?
This argument is dumb. Ryan Day had a year’s interim before taking over, if memory is correct. Kirby Smart is proving he’s a great recruiter but otherwise hasn’t done anything Mark Richt didn’t do at UGA. Swinney took 6+ years to be relevant (and it needs to be said in a much less competitive conference). And OU I don’t have enough to go on because I don’t care about Oklahoma.

Mr. White,
Also remember that you are in the SEC now, a good coach for UCF will be eaten alive in the SEC. Make Bob Stoops and Gus Malzahn say no before you move on. A OC/DC does not have time in the SEC to "Learn on the job" by the time they have learned enough to be a HC their record is abysmal.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I know I don't speak for all fans, but I tell you, many, many fans do not want an 'up and comer'. We do not want a learn on the job OC or DC--been there, done that. This isn't Central Florida. Vol fans want and deserve a proven winner. My opinion...others may disagree.

If you feel a need to give advice to one of the top 5 AD's in the country, maybe you should've applied for the position.

If we hired an AD who makes decisions based on what our fans say, we hired the wrong AD.

The last thing he needs to do at this point....hopium does not work and all it had done is muddy the water and leads to let down and depression. Fans have no clue as to what is required to do the entire job of a Head Coach...

No, what's pathetic is so many on here think just about every coach, past and present, is available and wants this job. All we have to do is ask and pony up the dough.
Most rational fans realize that not every coach wants this job. However we have every right to be unimpressed if we are truly targeting another candidate without necessary experience. Especially at such a critical time in program history. Just don't think that UT can afford to not get this one right.

I’m going to say the son of the AD to Duke University knows the level of what fits Buffalo...then to fit UCF...then to fit Tennessee on the biggest of stages in America. It’s just hard to imagine the man that passed on Tony Elliott to head UCF....is suddenly going to hire him to rebuild an SEC program after the man we had with WAY more experience as a DC and coaching failed epically. Even with cheating to do it.

1611501634197.gif

Last edited:
Most rational fans realize that not every coach wants this job. However we have every right to be unimpressed if we are truly targeting another candidate without necessary experience. Especially at such a critical time in program history. Just don't think that UT can afford to not get this one right.

They can afford it.

They would never have made the move had they not been able to Afford it.

It is going to Cost a lot of money with higher risk than normal.

Would never have made the move if didn't have the money in hand before doing so...

AD hire was the Start that UT committed to fixing the mess....

Reactions: Tennessee Cowboy
I trust AD White, to use his experience, expertise and contacts to bring the coach we need, to get this program pointed in the right direction. If I change my avatar, you'll know my thoughts, on the HFC hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiramarVol

I agree with everything you said right here. However it is patently absurd to say that the AD should listen to the fans for the next hire. Based on this board, which is where fans can opine as desired, there are not many coaches we should not hire.

They can afford it.

They would never have made the move had they not been able to Afford it.

It is going to Cost a lot of money with higher risk than normal.

Would never have made the move if didn't have the money in hand before doing so...

AD hire was the Start that UT committed to fixing the mess....

I really hope so. It's likely make or break time for UT football. Can't screw this one up again this time. I'm choosing to believe that we finally get it right. The AD hire absolutely is a great start.

I agree with everything you said right here. However it is patently absurd to say that the AD should listen to the fans for the next hire. Based on this board, which is where fans can opine as desired, there are not many coaches we should not hire.
I agree with this. Go Vols

I’ll support who White hires because I think he is the guy in charge. He didn’t come here to be anyone’s puppet.

Now, when I witness the lackadaisical effort, stupid coaching decisions and arrogant attitude I have the last 12 years, I’ll turn on his pick also.

Tennessee plays in the SEC which IS the tip top pinnacle of all power 5 football programs.

This requires a proven power 5 winning head coach that can build a Winner over Bama, florida, George, LSU, aTm, ect.

We are NOT a training ground for 1st time head coaches that need to learn how to become a HC.

Now go find the right coach that can build us back to a National Championship winning program sir.

VFL...GBO!!!
If we’re going with what Tennessee needs to compete with Bama, only Saban will do.

Listen, better programs with more at risk from on the job training have hired first time HC. Do you think they risked becoming the next Tennessee and passed on experienced, winning P5 head coaches that knew how to win in the SEC just for fun?

Outside of Bama hiring Saban, and UF hiring Mullen, nearly every recent major hire has been an assistant. And the latter was deemed not good enough by this board.

Reactions: 1967vol

If you want to help the program and stop this negative toxicity, you'll support whatever coach that White hires. Let him do his job. If he thinks an up and comer will be successful, so be it. There is no guarantee that any coach will be successful here, but I'll gamble with White's opinion and hope he doesn't pay much attention to opinions on this board.

VN Store

Back