ACL injuries !

guess we haven't evolved enough to adapt physically against the injuries...these women, and men too, put their bodies through so much to play a game they love at a high level...

any chance zay pulls a jolly and comes back this season??
any chance zay pulls a jolly and comes back this season??

I know the announcers were talking crap about her coming back like Kellie but that just ain't gonna happen. The reality is an ACL is major injury, even with the improvement in treatment and rehab protocols.

It is one thing to shoot around at practices or even run but cutting and planting at game speed (and the ACL in the ligament that keeps the joint stable during side-to-side motion) is an entirely different level of readiness.

After an injury like that, an athlete has to retrain muscles and ligaments becasue the knee is not the same; it may be just as good in the long run but its different.

If you come back too soon, you not only risk re-injury the knee but hamstring and quad tears and other injuries are much more likely.

She isn't going to burn a redshirt yr, when we will be a lot better next year.

So, what are the stipulations to the ten game allowance? To be clear, I don’t think she comes back, and certainly not unless there’s a high level of confidence of a deep tournament run. Even then, she could only logically - and mathematically - start playing right at SEC Tournament time. This, of course, assumes that salvaging the Red Shirt would still be part of the equation.
The pleasant irony is, the folks who will have benefited (by Zaay’s injury) through gains in playing time, would, upon her return, be better prepared to ease the transition.
But, first things first. Here’s to a healthy team to return to, and of course, to a healthy return for Miss Green.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
My doctor had an ACL last year and he said it takes several months to get back to near full strength, even with intense rehab.

several years ago we had a thread where the long-time/old fans added to a list of LV players who had ACL injuries and the list was long. One personal vivid memory was when Elzy drove into a very wide-body player and having a painful ACL injury. Also playing constantly have caused the knee cartlidge to be worn out and bone against bone. I can name several LVs who experienced severe pain and reduced mobility.

Included in our list were at least two who were not able to do the conditioning required to be able to play again. Of course 30 plus years ago - many improvements in both the operation and the rehab.

Reactions: krichunaka
several years ago we had a thread where the long-time/old fans added to a list of LV players who had ACL injuries and the list was long. One personal vivid memory was when Elzy drove into a very wide-body player and having a painful ACL injury. Also playing constantly have caused the knee cartlidge to be worn out and bone against bone. I can name several LVs who experienced severe pain and reduced mobility.

Included in our list were at least two who were not able to do the conditioning required to be able to play again. Of course 30 plus years ago - many improvements in both the operation and the rehab.

The LVs have certainly had more than their share of bad luck with ACL.

Elzy's injury really hurt the team's depth that season on was otherwise a very young team; that was Tre Geter and Michelle Snow's freshman seasons (98-99)

During her senior season, Tamika Catchings tore her ACL on MLK day and that injury likely cost the LVs a national championship (She spent her first year in the WNBA rehabbing that injury by the way).

Candace missed her freshman season with an ACL and, a healthy CP3 would have likely pushed that final four team to the championship.

The ACL that was as consequential as any, though was Vicki Baugh who was injured during the championship game of Candace and Nicki Anosike's senior year (NC #8) and then reinjured the same knee in the following year (though she did go on to make it in the WNBA).

She was clearly going to be the heir to Candace but she never really recovered from that injury. Had she been there to anchor the "baby vol" squad, that team's legacy could have been quite different.

Before that in the class between the Meeks and CP3 years, Ashley Robinson who was the top recruit in the Taurasi class, also injured her ACL during the summer before her sophomore season. She never really recovered from that injury during her college career. Interestingly, and relevant to Zaay, some speculate that part of her problem was rushing back to soon after the injury:

Voepel: Robinson leaves regrets behind

Last edited:
The LVs have certainly had more than their share of bad luck with ACL.

Elzy's injury really hurt the team's depth that season on was otherwise a very young team; that was Tre Geter and Michelle Snow's freshman seasons (98-99)

During her senior season, Tamika Catchings tore her ACL on MLK day and that injury likely cost the LVs a national championship (She spent her first year in the WNBA rehabbing that injury by the way).

Candace missed her freshman season with an ACL and, a healthy CP3 would have likely pushed that final four team to the championship.

The ACL that was as consequential as any, though was Ashley Robinson who was injured during the championship game of Candace and Nicki Anosike's senior year (NC #8).

She was clearly going to be the heir to Candace but she never really recovered from that injury. Had she been there to anchor the "baby vol" squad, that team's legacy could have been quite different.

Geter won a NC her freshman year. Elzy was either injured right before the '98 tournament, or the following season.

Loree Moore's injury in 2004 was a big loss too.

I think you meant Baugh in your last example.

Women basketball players will always have more ACL injuries than men, due to their physical structure.....They are wider in the pelvic region, which causes more strain on the thigh bone that places more stress on the knee. There are other considerations but women just aren't built for the game like a man is.

Geter won a NC her freshman year. Elzy was either injured right before the '98 tournament, or the following season.

Thanks! Yes Vicki Baugh, who tore it twice, tragically.

I also agree that when Loree Moore went down against Duke that injury was a season changing loss. It was doubly tragic because Loree was really finding her game and was on pace to be an AA.

A-Rob's college career was also seriously hindered by an ACL as well but she was on team (playing along with Tasha Butts) between the Meeks and the CP3 years.

I edited the original post with those corrections and some additional info on A-Rob who is the cautionary tale on the risk of rushing back from an ACL injury (which can impact a player mentally as well as physically)

Last edited:
so i was reading more on kellies acl injuries and she actually tore it twice. once in hs and of course for the lady vols. she recovered quickly both times, but the 2nd time around she recovered in 3 months..

Ya. Because women aren’t physically built to be athletes. It’s a product of thousands of years of evolution. That’s why it’s not exciting to watch women’s sports. And basketball is the worst.

Women basketball players will always have more ACL injuries than men, due to their physical structure.....They are wider in the pelvic region, which causes more strain on the thigh bone that places more stress on the knee. There are other considerations but women just aren't built for the game like a man is.
You’re saying men and women are different? Ow dare you

Ya. Because women aren’t physically built to be athletes. It’s a product of thousands of years of evolution. That’s why it’s not exciting to watch women’s sports. And basketball is the worst.

but yet you are here and feel compelled enough about the subject to comment

Can't argue with genetics.

Before I train an athlete intensely I (visually) look at their hip-heel-knee ratio ,,,((if you draw a straight line down, from hip to outside ankle, how much of a gap from that line, to the knee))

I also look at the feet during the normal walk,, going away and coming towards. (walking mechanics). . . do they walk pigeon toed or feet outwards,, or is it a perfect stride. The better the stride, the better the mechanics.

I went back 30 posts and this is your only entrance to the Lady Vols threads
sigh

. . . . . . Miss football?

Last edited:

I would love to see you in a tennis match against Serena Williams; a 200 meter dash against Alysson Felix; a one on one soccer match up against Julie Ertz; or a shoot-out with Diana Taurasi.

Oh yeah, and go a couple of rounds (or a few seconds more likely) in the octagon with this woman who "is not built to be an athlete."

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Ladyvol777
I would love to see you in a tennis match against Serena Williams; a 200 meter dash against Alysson Felix; a one on one soccer match up against Julie Ertz; or a shoot-out with Diana Taurasi.

Oh yeah, and go a couple of rounds (or a few seconds more likely) in the octagon with this woman who "is not built to be an athlete."

maxresdefault.jpg

Ya I hear ya. Im sure they’d all beat me. But how about his...take the 200th ranked men’s player and put them on the court against Serena. Who’d win? Take a solid boys high school soccer team and have them play a professional women’s team. Who’d win? Take a good high school boys basketball team and have them play a WNBA team. The WNBA team would get embarrassed. Women aren’t build to play sports. Men’s muscle mass is about 7 times as dense.

Ya I hear ya. Im sure they’d all beat me. But how about his...take the 200th ranked men’s player and put them on the court against Serena. Who’d win? Take a solid boys high school soccer team and have them play a professional women’s team. Who’d win? Take a good high school boys basketball team and have them play a WNBA team. The WNBA team would get embarrassed. Women aren’t build to play sports. Men’s muscle mass is about 7 times as dense.

Dude, get education and lighten up on the misogynist pablum

Sex Differences in Training and Metabolism • Stronger by Science

Women have about a 1/3 less muscle mass, on average, than men but they are actually better suited to long endurance events because they tend to burn fats more efficiently.

But those quibbles aside, do you not see the difference between the claim that men, at a comparable level of ability and training, can perform at a higher level in Sport X than women and the insane claim that "women aren't built to play sports."

I am hoping you can but if not, well, have a nice day.

PS,

I am very confident a top tier pro women's soccer team would handily defeat "a solid boys high school."

A really elite high school boy's team also could also likely beat a WNBA team in a best of 7 series but just a solid one, not so sure.

You are spot on about Serena. Tennis is a sport where the speed and power of the men's game would be overwhelming, whereas in soccer and b-ball, skill, team play, court/field positioning, technical skill and strategic acumen can compensate for some of these discrepancies.

Last edited:

Just checked dates. Indeed, Geter was a freshman on the 97-98 team that went 39-0 (Holdsclaw's 3rd NC as a player) and it was the next season that Elzy blew out her ACL and the LVs lost to Duke in the elite 8 game.

Reactions: stlvolsfan

VN Store

Back