ACC teams are expected to leave.

I wouldn’t put much faith in that source.

I believe (and without reading this article) that Clemson & FSU are a done deal for the Next SEC addition. And if they consider NC (For Basketball Prowess) They have to look at Duke. That is likely a Bridge too far. Sec doesn't need another Football Vanderbilt.

The $50+million simply pays a buyout to leave the ACC.
The schools signed over the TV rights (Grant of Rights) to all of their sports to the ACC.
The buyout does nothing to secure their TV rights.
The TV rights belong Whole-hog to the ACC until 2036, and the ACC has zero incentive to let them have it without a huge payment. The value of those TV rights dwarfs the buyout payment.

The Grant of Rights situation puts the possibility of the mentioned schools leaving the ACC a bit dubious.

I mentioned in my previous post the only way ACC teams could manage to get their TV Rights back from the ACC would be if ESPN steps in and brokers a deal with the ACC for the TV Rights of any school leaving the conference. For example, ESPN could promise not to renegotiate the ACC's TV deal(since the market value of the ACC will plunge if the mentioned school bolt for the B1G and SEC), including the ACC Network (ESPN), if mentioned schools want to leave.
Otherwise, no school could ever afford to leave the ACC til 2036. The conference has current members locked up tight.
This is the thing being passed over. TV rights and payouts are all that matter and the ACC locked up their schools UNLESS ESPN/The Mouse are really calling the shots in the breakup of a Power 5 conference.

Anyone who thinks it's a good thing for ESPN to be calling the shots for the restructuring of college football in the post-NCAA era we're about to begin in a few years.......... is crazy.

ACC schools can't get out of the Grant of Rights contract without the help of ESPN. ESPN/Disney has never helped anyone except ESPN/Disney.

This is the thing being passed over. TV rights and payouts are all that matter and the ACC locked up their schools UNLESS ESPN/The Mouse are really calling the shots in the breakup of a Power 5 conference.

Anyone who thinks it's a good thing for ESPN to be calling the shots for the restructuring of college football in the post-NCAA era we're about to begin in a few years.......... is crazy.

ACC schools can't get out of the Grant of Rights contract without the help of ESPN. ESPN/Disney has never helped anyone except ESPN/Disney.
the proposal I have seen to get out is if the ACC collapses. I forget what their magic number is, but if enough schools left fast enough they could dissolve the ACC and the GOR. I think to pull that off those schools would have to have landing spots, so that probably means the big guys are dragging around some baggage to ensure the ACC actually does collapse.

I believe (and without reading this article) that Clemson & FSU are a done deal for the Next SEC addition. And if they consider NC (For Basketball Prowess) They have to look at Duke. That is likely a Bridge too far. Sec doesn't need another Football Vanderbilt.

I don't get the appeal of a 20 team conference, historic rivalries will be forced to die and IMO it just dilutes the product.

I don't get the appeal of a 20 team conference, historic rivalries will be forced to die and IMO it just dilutes the product.
I just don't see the 20 team conferences lasting. too many different opinions. with that many teams you have a HUGE disparity from the top of the conference to the bottom. its already questionable to have Vandy in the conference for football. at least the other bottom dwellers have done something. but you add in more teams and the differences just get more extreme.

*never will happen but I wouldn't mind the super conference idea if you had a winner's/loser bracket that rotated out every so often. Teams in the loser bracket are ineligible for championships, or have to play some extra games in the conference playoff. maybe tie in bowl games.

It’ll be interesting to see who loses their audience. It’s already been interesting.

I don't like ANY of it! I didn't like A&M & Mizzou coming in the SEC. And I think it's crazy for USC & UCLA to be in the Big 10. But, TV Money is driving this, and Competition between Networks. That is why I think espn will be pushing "Stinky" to invite (Or accept) Clem & FSU. Fsu has big Viewership, as does Clem, and Clemson is considered a National Power. Tradition has no place in today's world of Greed & Indifference.

I don't like ANY of it! I didn't like A&M & Mizzou coming in the SEC. And I think it's crazy for USC & UCLA to be in the Big 10. But, TV Money is driving this, and competition between Networks. That is why I think espn will be pushing "Stinky" to invite (Or accept) Clem & FSU. Fsu has big Viewership, as does Clem, and Clemson is considered a National Power. Tradition has no place in today's world of Greed & Indifference.

The super conferences are coming. Embrace it.

It will go from 16 to 18 to 20 and so on. I think we could see a 24 team league in a decade or so with SEC being the first to do it.

I would love to know what level of relationship existed between Tebow and Hernandez. Hard to imagine more different personality types spending so much time together.

I seem to recall reading/seeing somewhere that they were roomies-at least for a while. This was at Urban's direction as he thought TT could keep AH out of trouble.

Didn't work out very well did it? I think Tebow was actually present when Hernandez beat up a restaurant manager because he didn't want to pay his bar tab

Reactions: SpookyAction

It will go from 16 to 18 to 20 and so on. I think we could see a 24 team league in a decade or so with SEC being the first to do it.

I think the big 10 will try to get to 24 in the next couple years

Kicking Florida and USCjr out of SEC would reduce our number of double wide trailers by 90%. Picking up Florida State and Clemson would greatly improve our academic scores while improving athletics.

Seems like a win / win.
I'd be surprised if Clemson is better academically than SC. SC has some very good programs, especially at graduate level. What does Clemson have?

Reactions: ArdentVol

Then we'll likely see a 14 game regular season to keep some traditional rivalries and even up conference scheduling.

I'd be surprised if Clemson is better academically than SC. SC has some very good programs, especially at graduate level. What does Clemson have?

Here's a starter:
Data was gathered from sources such as the National Center for Education Statistics, the Council for Community and Economic Research and the U.S. Department of Education. Out of all of the more than 900 U.S. schools, Clemson ranked 112th and USC ranked 171st overall.Oct 20, 2022

I seem to recall reading/seeing somewhere that they were roomies-at least for a while. This was at Urban's direction as he thought TT could keep AH out of trouble.

Didn't work out very well did it? I think Tebow was actually present when Hernandez beat up a restaurant manager because he didn't want to pay his bar tab
It can be extremely interesting when two different species of fish are forced to share space.
I thought I'd never say this, but poor Tebow.

Reactions: stolitonic
Here's a starter:
Data was gathered from sources such as the National Center for Education Statistics, the Council for Community and Economic Research and the U.S. Department of Education. Out of all of the more than 900 U.S. schools, Clemson ranked 112th and USC ranked 171st overall.Oct 20, 2022
Thanks for that. I see that Clemson outranks SC undergraduate while SC is generally higher graduate.

I think Wake Forest and Virginia could be dark horse candidates to join the SEC to enhance the academic side of the conference and Virginia would bring a solid basketball pedigree to the SEC.

Reactions: ArdentVol

And that should have been the end of Hernandez as a Florida Gator; BUT Urban Meyer--------uh huh.

Lived in SC for over 15 years and Clemson has excellent reputation especially for engineering degrees. Very demanding, overall acceptance rate for the college is below 50% and many in-state students have to go to Lander University in Greenwood, SC to "earn" their way into Clemson. I think somewhere around 20% of undergrads are pursuing engineering degrees at Clemson which is a pretty high # for a fairly large university.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think Wake Forest and Virginia could be dark horse candidates to join the SEC to enhance the academic side of the conference and Virginia would bring a solid basketball pedigree to the SEC.
I don’t think Wake is an invite for any P5 conference. They have the smallest enrollment of any power 5 university and even though they’ve had some success on the football field recently, and their baseball program is pretty good they are like the 6th most popular fan base in North Carolina. UNC, Duke, State, App State and ECU are all much larger. UVA will be a very good edition to whichever conference they join. I see them more as a B1G school overall. Their academic smugness would immediately rival that of Michigan.

I don’t think Wake is an invite for any P5 conference. They have the smallest enrollment of any power 5 university and even though they’ve had some success on the football field recently, and their baseball program is pretty good they are like the 6th most popular fan base in North Carolina. UNC, Duke, State, App State and ECU are all much larger. UVA will be a very good edition to whichever conference they join. I see them more as a B1G school overall. Their academic smugness would immediately rival that of Michigan.
Would rather have VT than UVA. UVA would not be a fit in the SEC.

VN Store

Back