ACC teams are expected to leave.

The SEC taking Clemson and FSU makes zero tv market sense.
It gives the SEC zero leverage in TV dealmaking.
The SEC inviting NCState and one of the Virginia (VATech more than UVA) schools makes a whole lot of sense. NC is also a natural invitee, but I suspect they would be more attracted to the cultural fit of the B1G.
If the SEC can get NC or NCState, I don't see what Duke really offers.

The SEC taking Clemson and FSU makes zero tv market sense.
It gives the SEC zero leverage in TV dealmaking.
The SEC inviting NCState and one of the Virginia (VATech more than UVA) schools makes a whole lot of sense. NC is also a natural invitee, but I suspect they would be more attracted to the cultural fit of the B1G.
If the SEC can get NC or NCState, I don't see what Duke really offers.

VTech
NC, Duke, State
Clemson
GT

Having Duke, Carolina, GT and Vandy gives the conference a strong academic angle which only helps. The SEC would essentially have a strong hold on TV marketing.

I don’t ever see Carolina, Duke, and State ever being in different conferences

Reactions: ArdentVol and Pappy
VTech
NC, Duke, State
Clemson
GT

Having Duke, Carolina, GT and Vandy gives the conference a strong academic angle which only helps. The SEC would essentially have a strong hold on TV marketing.

I don’t ever see Carolina, Duke, and State ever being in different conferences
Agreed on the NC schools. They make a more attractive trio.

I can't think of anyway Clemson brings value to the SEC in a billion dollar tv deal.
Or FSU either.
And the Uof Miami is a very weird fit in the B1G culturally.

My question is, how much does a strong academic angle help the SEC at this point, when the SEC is becoming a jr. NFL-type football conference?
We will never approach the academic clout of the B1G or PAC-12 regardless.
So is it a big deal?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
I personally would take the North Carolina schools and the Virginia schools over Clemson and FSU...It just makes more sense and they would be natural rivalries...Tennessee and UNC have a history going back to the early years, It would be fun to renew that rivalry.

Ask A&M about that veto to keep out an instate rival.
Good point.
Big difference taking TX and OK over Clemson and FSU. Those first two programs bring lots of eyes to televisions.
We already have all the FL and SC markets factored into our TV megadeals. It would be FAR more important to add VA and NC television markets.

I want GT back in SEC; great traditional rival with TN and would just piss UGA off.

It wouldn't piss me off. At least if Tech was in the SEC it would count as a conference game and free up an OOC game every year for UGA. Otherwise, I'd rather drop GT from the schedule than keep them as one of only three annual OOC games starting 2024.

Good point.
Big difference taking TX and OK over Clemson and FSU. Those first two programs bring lots of eyes to televisions.
We already have all the FL and SC markets factored into our TV megadeals. It would be FAR more important to add VA and NC television markets.
The NC and VA schools trail FSU and Clemson significantly in football TV viewership. Adding them wouldn't necessarily be bad but FSU and Clemson are where the real money is at.

11643434.png

Reactions: SpookyAction
The NC and VA schools trail FSU and Clemson significantly in football TV viewership. Adding them wouldn't necessarily be bad but FSU and Clemson are where the real money is at.

View attachment 546753
Good info.

I am not convinced the ACC's buyouts are at a level that can be paid by these schools. The buyout cost to leave the ACC is $52 million. That is also very close to a one year payout in the SEC TV revenue. ACC teams are getting @$35 million per year. That sounds good for a team joining the SEC.

Now the clincher for a school leaving the ACC is the Grant of Rights. FSU and Clemson have given the rights to control their television right to the ACC until 2036. The ACC teams have no ownership of their specific TV rights for 13 more years. The bull in the China shop is not really the B1G, but ESPN who owns the SEC and ACC Networks. If they are really the force behind conference expansion, the ACC will be forced to allow a deal to be made.

Is ESPN going to ruin its own ACC Network? The only way teams could leave the ACC with their tv rights is if ESPN makes the ACC cut a deal.

VN Store

Back