A Theory about JG

It's you spreading lies as what you are implying is false. All my information about me is pretty much public knowledge, I don't have anything to hide or run from, certainly not from someone as slimy as you. Only an idiot or weirdo would post here with more than 1 moniker is how I feel about that. For all I know you could be a child molester and have 4 different screen names on here but it would most likely be a lie if I were to imply that in my posts you were a child molester. I've seen you try that little trick at others on here as well. You're not as slick as you think you are.
Wait a min...... sjt18 has an opinion that the two of you COULD be the same person because you have similar posting styles and you call that a lie. Yet you’ve been known to make up completely false claims as if you knew something about one of our qbs but that was legit? Not quite sure how that works..... but then again I have told you numerous times you’re a hypocrite too. So it makes sense. You just don’t like it when the rabbit has the gun.

Reactions: sjt18
It's you spreading lies as what you are implying is false.
Again something k-town would say in a very similar way in which he would say it. I stated an opinion based on the behavior of the two screen names.

All my information about me is pretty much public knowledge, I don't have anything to hide or run from, certainly not from someone as slimy as you.
Slimy? Wow. That makes you look "innocent". Another trait of k-town is to attack personally when someone disagrees.

Only an idiot or weirdo would post here with more than 1 moniker is how I feel about that. For all I know you could be a child molester and have 4 different screen names on here but it would most likely be a lie if I were to imply that in my posts you were a child molester. I've seen you try that little trick at others on here as well. You're not as slick as you think you are.
What "trick" are you talking about? If you don't like the similarities between your opinions and those of a cult like follower of JG... then consider your opinions.

You have not watched JG for years. You aren't a UT fan.

The rest is nonsense.

How can the qb that has thrown the least ints in school history with at least 200 attempts have thrown the most pick sixes?

No need to fabricate fake stats.
Let’s see....

2019- JG pick 6 interceptions- 1
Maurer pick 6 interceptions- 0
Shrout pick 6 interceptions- 0

No fabrication, just facts.

Might I add the ridiculously stupid and selfish sneak attempt that only he knew about at Alabama that also resulted in 100 yard fumble return for TD.

How about the pick deep in his own territory vs BYU on the first drive of the second half that completely changed momentum and directly led to BYU points 2-3 plays later. How about the first bad interception in his own territory vs Indy that led to their fg right before half.

How about the awful pick vs Florida in his own territory that pissed Callaway off and directly led to Florida points 6 plays later?

So not only did he indeed throw the only pick 6 among our 3 QBs last year, he had other awful plays/throws that directly led to either a change in momentum or the competition’s points.

He was bad to straight trash in 9 of 13 games last year....period.

"more drives killed by his own pick 6s and other interceptions than any qb we have had"

Let’s see....

2019- JG pick 6 interceptions- 1
Maurer pick 6 interceptions- 0
Shrout pick 6 interceptions- 0

No fabrication, just facts.

Might I add the ridiculously stupid and selfish sneak attempt that only he knew about at Alabama that also resulted in 100 yard fumble return for TD.

How about the pick deep in his own territory vs BYU on the first drive of the second half that completely changed momentum and directly led to BYU points 2-3 plays later. How about the first bad interception in his own territory vs Indy that led to their fg right before half.

How about the awful pick vs Florida in his own territory that pissed Callaway off and directly led to Florida points 6 plays later?

So not only did he indeed throw the only pick 6 among our 3 QBs last year, he had other awful plays/throws that directly led to either a change in momentum or the competition’s points.

He was bad to straight trash in 9 of 13 games last year....period.
You were comparing him to all UT qbs. Not last year's qbs. He has a historically low int rate for UT.

If we are comparing him to last year's qbs then Maurer had a much higher turnover rate. He also had more redzone ints. He also had just as many sack, fumble tds. BM was responsible for more bad turnovers and momentum killing plays with 30% of the pass attempts.

Just stop with the bs

You were comparing him to all UT qbs. Not last year's qbs. He has a historically low int rate for UT.
Because either he was so apprehensive or he was previously protected. They challenged him to throw the ball down field more this year. They pushed him to make decisions faster and anticipate throws rather than waiting to throw AFTER a guy was open.

That IS his problem... yours is that you are too dishonest to acknowledge his problem.

If we are comparing him to last year's qbs then Maurer had a much higher turnover rate. He also had more redzone ints. He also had just as many sack, fumble tds. BM was responsible for more bad turnovers and momentum killing plays with 30% of the pass attempts.

Just stop with the bs
And for the umpteenth time... JG was a RS JR and 3 year starter. Maurer was a true Fr that even his most avid fan admits wasn't ready when forced into duty. You are DESPERATE to lower the bar... but you destroy your own case when you make a comparison to a true Fr to prove your idol was "better".

"more drives killed by his own pick 6s and other interceptions than any qb we have had"

Just stop with the bs
A typo, only meant last year. Have no idea how many other UT QBs have ever thrown a pick 6 of how many. All I know is that the only pick 6 thrown by a UT QB, and all the really bad, game-changing picks were thrown by our RSJr, not our freshmen.

Reactions: igotworms
As the OP, I want to note the absolute devotion that some seem to have to him. Personally, as I have said many, many times, he strikes me as an outstanding young man. Tough as nails. A drive to win. Proud he is a Vol. That said, he is a fair to middling QB, with an 8 win, 24 point per game ceiling. He cannot seem to get the game to slow down for him. He underthrows and throws late more often than he doesn't.

I just don't get the polarizing nature of JG. I'm looking forward to moving on from this chapter of UT Football.

I WISH UT had a QB as good as k-town thinks JG is. If we did... we would have been in competition for the East last year.
I guess CJP hasn't a clue as to who should be playing QB? The last time I checked CJP was our HC, he calls the numbers, who starts and who does not. If you have a problem with JG-your real problem is with CJP.

I guess CJP hasn't a clue as to who should be playing QB? The last time I checked CJP was our HC, he calls the numbers, who starts and who does not. If you have a problem with JG-your real problem is with CJP.

Going into the season last year I think he and Chaney both thought it was obviously JG. Between experience and the unknowns behind him, it seemed right.

While Pruitt and Chaney both know who "should be" the starting QB without question (a RS JR with game experience over a FR), his play to start the year put that idea in question so much that he got pulled for a guy they knew nothing about in a game setting.

At some point in Oct. Pruitt and Chaney may have gotten down to drawing names from a hat looking for an answer.

Reactions: tbh
That's not wholly accurate for 2018.

Last season, Guarantano was sacked six times, per PFF, in under 2.5 seconds. That’s about in line with the other four guys, all of whom were sacked four times in the same scenario. Guarantano’s “average time to throw” was 2.35 seconds. Fromm’s was 2.38 seconds, a feat he’s repeated exactly to the second the last two seasons. Now “time to throw” doesn’t automatically indicate throws under pressure. It’s simply how quickly a quarterback gets rid of the ball. Per the data, Guarantano typically did a nice job making decisive decisions.

Conversely, Guarantano really struggled when he held the ball for longer than 2.5 seconds. Now, so did the rest of the quarterbacks mentioned. For instance, Tagovailoa’s completion percentage dropped 20 points (77.9 vs. 57.0) on such throws. But he still had 20 touchdowns and mostly avoided sacks. Among SEC quarterbacks, only Tua and Fromm had passer ratings over 100.0 on such passes.

Since he was a freshman, Guarantano has had bouts where he holds on the ball too long. Of his 22 sacks last season, 16 came on plays where he was in the pocket for longer than 2.5 seconds. Two of his three interceptions came on such throws, too.

VolQuest - A deep dive into Jarrett Guarantano’s 2018 season using PFF data

JG’s biggest enemy is and has always been himself. He holds the ball too long inside the pocket. That alone, even according to the stats, is a recipe for disaster. Start him on any of the playoff teams this past year and their ceiling becomes 8-9 games. Nobody wants a QB that just stands in the pocket anymore. And the games that he actually improvised made him look like he’d never done that before.

Reactions: tbh
Nope. That's a fallacious or intentionally deceptive argument.

I think highly of Pruitt. I think he will 100% of the time make choices he thinks are in the best interest of UT. That simply doesn't make JG a good QB.

If he were the kind of QB I wish UT had... Maurer and Shrout would have ONLY battled for the privilege to hand the ball off in trash time. If he were the QB I wish UT had then Pruitt after investing the whole offseason trying to build him up... doesn't get so disgusted that he benches him after only 4 games in favor of a true Fr who wasn't ready to play from a knowledge and experience stand point. If he's the QB I want UT to have... he dominates teams like Vandy and IU and puts those games out of reach by half time. If he's the QB I wish UT had then he anticipates open receivers rather than waiting until they are open... meaning they won't be by the time the ball gets there.

I have no doubt Pruitt will play the guy he thinks (rightly or wrongly that's his call) gives the Vols the best chance to win. Saying JG was the "best" option over an injured true Fr and a RS Fr who doesn't seem to be developing very quickly... is a far cry from saying he was a good option.

A typo, only meant last year. Have no idea how many other UT QBs have ever thrown a pick 6 of how many. All I know is that the only pick 6 thrown by a UT QB, and all the really bad, game-changing picks were thrown by our RSJr, not our freshmen.
Yes he threw the only pick six. The guy with the next highest attempts there 30% of the passes JG did.

Maurer threw several " game changing" picks. He had the luck of JG bailing us out those games or being during blowouts.

So, an honest question for the pro-JG-as-QB crowd:

Is your argument that JG was the best option of the 3? If so, I can somewhat go along with you there.

Is your argument that JG is a really good QB? I can't go along with you at all there.

Curious.

Yes he threw the only pick six. The guy with the next highest attempts there 30% of the passes JG did.

Maurer threw several " game changing" picks. He had the luck of JG bailing us out those games or being during blowouts.
I’m curious which of the five were “game changing”. Neither of the two in his worst game in terms of decision making were because MissState couldn’t move the ball on our defense. They were lucky to get a long field goal at all. It couldn’t be the one that bounced off of DWAs chest vs UF because we were already being blown out. So maybe you’re talking about the one vs UGA? 🤔 They didn’t score on that drive iirc so it can’t be that one. So you MUST be talking about the one vs Alabama. He should’ve KNOWN better than hit JJ in the chest with that one. Why would anyone throw the ball to our best receiver in a tie game with the #1 team in the country? STUPID!

The thing is, even when he does get rid of the ball, it is usually too late in the pattern, and the receiver has to fight for it over coverage, or it is underthrown, and the receiver has to pull up, adjust, and fight for the ball. I honestly think I could count on one hand the number of times JG hit a receiver in stride this year in anything over 5 yards downfield.

I'll say again, good kid. I hope it does 'click' for him this year. I just don't see it, and the way he is now, we have a ceiling of around 24 points a game and 9 wins.

JMHO.
I 100% agree. It would be great to see it click but he’s got some things to work on.

Nope. That's a fallacious or intentionally deceptive argument.

I think highly of Pruitt. I think he will 100% of the time make choices he thinks are in the best interest of UT. That simply doesn't make JG a good QB.

If he were the kind of QB I wish UT had... Maurer and Shrout would have ONLY battled for the privilege to hand the ball off in trash time. If he were the QB I wish UT had then Pruitt after investing the whole offseason trying to build him up... doesn't get so disgusted that he benches him after only 4 games in favor of a true Fr who wasn't ready to play from a knowledge and experience stand point. If he's the QB I want UT to have... he dominates teams like Vandy and IU and puts those games out of reach by half time. If he's the QB I wish UT had then he anticipates open receivers rather than waiting until they are open... meaning they won't be by the time the ball gets there.

I have no doubt Pruitt will play the guy he thinks (rightly or wrongly that's his call) gives the Vols the best chance to win. Saying JG was the "best" option over an injured true Fr and a RS Fr who doesn't seem to be developing very quickly... is a far cry from saying he was a good option.
Nope. That's a fallacious or intentionally deceptive argument. Somewhere along the line you make statements up, intentionally deceptive, as anyone reading what I wrote, can clearly see I never said a word about ""Best" option over an injured true Fr...." or anything even close! CJP calls the numbers, you don't like his call, then you have a problem with CJP. As you may not call his number, if you woke up this morning, and due to a disaster in space and time, found yourself the HC at UT, doesn't mean CJP doesn't know what he is doing, as you seem to know more than coach (as usual).

Last edited:
Nope. That's a fallacious or intentionally deceptive argument. Somewhere along the line you make statements up, intentionally deceptive, as anyone reading what I wrote, can clearly see I never said a word about ""Best" option over an injured true Fr...." or anything even close! CJP calls the numbers, you don't like his call, then you have a problem with CJP. As you may not call his number, if you woke up this morning, and due to a disaster in space and time, found yourself the HC at UT, doesn't mean CJP doesn't know what he is doing, as you seem to know more than coach (as usual).

Pruitt is not going to always make the 'correct decision'. He didn't last year or the year before with plenty of mistakes both seasons, and he'll make more in the future as well. He's not infallible, and his primary focus in his career has been on defensive side of the ball.

Your desire to coach-worship won't change that reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1vol8

JG did no such thing. He inherited a lead and “ managed” the game vs MSU. He played poorly and did nothing to bail UT out vs UGA or Bama. He played well vs UK after UT made some adjustments. We don’t know how Maurer might have done. Unlike JG in his starts, Maurer didn’t get a chance to overcome his bad start.

Reactions: mccrackb and 1vol8
JG did no such thing. He inherited a lead and “ managed” the game vs MSU. He played poorly and did nothing to bail UT out vs UGA or Bama. He played well vs UK after UT made some adjustments. We don’t know how Maurer might have done. Unlike JG in his starts, Maurer didn’t get a chance to overcome his bad start.
The truth hurts the dishonest.

With you here, although I’m not sure why anybody would hold out hope that he will improve any part of his game given what we saw last year, when he actually regressed while having a clean pocket and plenty of time to throw the overwhelming majority of his dropbacks.
I just think Chaney needs to be able to rule out the mental part. I mean, JG's clock is messed up. He is still feeling hurried, even when he's not. Plus, he's constantly throwing late.

Yeah... you still tried a dishonest argument. I like Pruitt. If you want to understand my problem with JG... watch the Vandy and IU games. "Best" option or not... he is NOT an effective QB.

Yeah... you still tried a dishonest argument. I like Pruitt. If you want to understand my problem with JG... watch the Vandy and IU games. "Best" option or not... he is NOT an effective QB.

I'd wager that Pruitt still kicks himself for anointing JG starting QB before going into spring camp last year, and not spending more time and effort on Maur and Shrout before the Georgia game.

I'm a fan of JG the person and the player. He has had some terrible play at times but also some great play at times. That being said, I hope we just start Bailey now and get his growing pains out of the way.
Not a whole lot of great play out of the QB position since Dobbs.

VN Store

Back