A Theory about JG

That is Tennessee Football's Twitter account, not his. The guys that run that account report to Coach Pruitt most likely. Your assessment of "look at me" is just flat wrong.
Right cuz trey Smith released something similar. Or anyone else on the team right??

Excuses Excuses Excuses.

JG was the best we had period. He has had more drives killed by penalties and drops than any qb we have had. I don't want to hear this crybaby shite now when we never used excuses for Dobbs or JG.
No, what JG had was more drives killed by his own pick 6s and other interceptions than any qb we have had.

Its not debatable. JG was better. The stats say it, the coaches said it, the players said it.

He has a historically low int rate so the ints killing drives is false. He has also been one of the most accurate UT qbs.

He has had more drives stopped due to being stuffed on short runs, penalties, and drops than bad play. That is a fact. When it does happen no one uses excuses. I don't want to hear them for Maurer either.

I am actually a UT fan from Knoxville from a UT family. You are a Maurer handler who trolls real UT fans.

No one is scared of Maurer. Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble.

His ability? His ability to what? Throw an int and take a sack? He did that much more than completing passes or throwing tds.

If he improves he may reach where JG was as a freshman. He would need a damn near unprecedented leap in ability and decision making to catch or pass JG. Bailey and JG are also both much more talented. Also Hill is more talented and has played better against college comp.

At best he is fourth most talented. Holiday may even be better but he is a developmental project like Maurer was.

Most likely it will be either
JG
HB
Hill
BM

OR

HB
JG
Hill
BM
You repeat yourself often and it won’t change the FACT that ONE coach said it and ate shi* for it once he was forced to prepare Maurer over JG. In fact injury is the ONLY reason he’s not still sitting down to a plate of crow now.
The stats are no more factual than they were the last time you brought them up. You can’t speak them into reality when everyone knows the truth. His first pass vs UTC wasn’t good but his second was dropped. He wasn’t prepared for playing against UF and his first 2 passes vs UGA were dropped as well. Which means he was already behind at 4/15 before ever being prepared for a game. WHICH MEANS he was much better in those games than you care to admit to up his comp % from 25% to 47% for the season. In fact his comp % was among the best of the starting freshman qbs in his class (using Bo Nix as the example) in those games (I think it was 52%?). The difference is that 52% competition rate were chunk plays, not checkdowns. I think all of VN would take 52% success of down field passes over 65% success of passes behind the line. Hell..... a defense will GIVE you that.
Still waiting on evidence that any player ever said it other than hearsay.
I’ve watched JG for years and the one thing I’ve always said is “He’s gotta make the defense respect his ability to take advantage of deep routes in order to free up the run game.” A defense can line up in any formation with instructions to play downhill and you’ll have 11 men within 5 yards of the Los post snap within 2 seconds no matter what the presnap coverage is. The run game suffers because JG hasn’t shown the willingness to take advantage of the third level.

Reactions: cgrish
I thought I would take a step back and try and figure out a theory as to why JG can't seem to release a pass on time, why he tends to hold the ball a half-second too long. And I think it might be Pavlovian.

Think about it, the first two seasons he played, he often got NAILED just as he would release the ball. No one denies he took some savage hits in 2017 and 2018. Heck, even those of us who don't want him to start see clearly just how tough the kid is, and that he clearly wants to win.

That said, if he got accustomed to taking a hit once he released, maybe his cerebellum is forcing him to hold the ball to avoid the response it expects, and it takes a 1/4 or 1/2 second for his cerebrum to override this base instinct.

If that is part of the issue, I wonder how in the heck you coach that out of someone?

For that matter, a lot of us question his decision making after the snap. Maybe he goes into survival mode (more than most QBs) because of those hits. So his decisions are less reason and more survival.

Anyway, just a theory. I'm bored. Figured I'd open this up for discussion.
Maybe Coach Chaney should show him some video of the protection and time he's been getting, in the pocket. Show him where he's held the ball, moved unnecessarily, or thrown it away early.
It could very well be a trust issue. But, I think we can all agree, he had plenty of time, in the pocket, this past season. I anticipate that will only improve, in 2020.
He definitely needs to improve his pocket presence. That comes with reps, and trust.

Reactions: cgrish

Unfinished business for Guarantano means he’s got a whole lotta more late, bad reads to make...a whole lotta more plays to selfishly change on the goal line that his coaches and teammates don’t know about....a whole lotta more late, throws behind the receivers to make....a whole lotta more pick 6s to throw ...... another season of continuous drama at the QB position to manufacture......and a whole lotta generally awful QB play to produce that the rest of the team is gonna have to overcome if they want to win games.

Maybe Coach Chaney should show him some video of the protection and time he's been getting, in the pocket. Show him where he's held the ball, moved unnecessarily, or thrown it away early.
It could very well be a trust issue. But, I think we can all agree, he had plenty of time, in the pocket, this past season. I anticipate that will only improve, in 2020.
He definitely needs to improve his pocket presence. That comes with reps, and trust.
With you here, although I’m not sure why anybody would hold out hope that he will improve any part of his game given what we saw last year, when he actually regressed while having a clean pocket and plenty of time to throw the overwhelming majority of his dropbacks.

Reactions: kbear01 and cgrish
You repeat yourself often and it won’t change the FACT that ONE coach said it and ate shi* for it once he was forced to prepare Maurer over JG. In fact injury is the ONLY reason he’s not still sitting down to a plate of crow now.
The stats are no more factual than they were the last time you brought them up. You can’t speak them into reality when everyone knows the truth. His first pass vs UTC wasn’t good but his second was dropped. He wasn’t prepared for playing against UF and his first 2 passes vs UGA were dropped as well. Which means he was already behind at 4/15 before ever being prepared for a game. WHICH MEANS he was much better in those games than you care to admit to up his comp % from 25% to 47% for the season. In fact his comp % was among the best of the starting freshman qbs in his class (using Bo Nix as the example) in those games (I think it was 52%?). The difference is that 52% competition rate were chunk plays, not checkdowns. I think all of VN would take 52% success of down field passes over 65% success of passes behind the line. Hell..... a defense will GIVE you that.
Still waiting on evidence that any player ever said it other than hearsay.
I’ve watched JG for years and the one thing I’ve always said is “He’s gotta make the defense respect his ability to take advantage of deep routes in order to free up the run game.” A defense can line up in any formation with instructions to play downhill and you’ll have 11 men within 5 yards of the Los post snap within 2 seconds no matter what the presnap coverage is. The run game suffers because JG hasn’t shown the willingness to take advantage of the third level.
You have not watched JG for years. You aren't a UT fan.

The rest is nonsense.

No, what JG had was more drives killed by his own pick 6s and other interceptions than any qb we have had.

How can the qb that has thrown the least ints in school history with at least 200 attempts have thrown the most pick sixes?

No need to fabricate fake stats.

You have not watched JG for years. You aren't a UT fan.

The rest is nonsense.

How can the qb that has thrown the least ints in school history with at least 200 attempts have thrown the most pick sixes?

No need to fabricate fake stats.
If that’s the best you can come up with I’ll take that as your way of admitting defeat. And yes I’ve watched for years. I’ve watched college football all my life. I may be one of the newest fans on this board but I’m not the kind of guy that’ll sugarcoat anything either. If I’m a fan, I’ll tell you I am. If I’m not, I’ll tell you I’m not. And I’m a fan of the team and will remain one. I’m deep in the heart of gator country right now and proudly branding the Power T everywhere I go. Although I live in Atlanta now don’t forget where I’m from. People know me here and I’m not exactly on the “preferred guests” list in the football community for helping send the most prolific qb in central Florida history to a rival. So how’s that for fandom? All you’re doing now is piggybacking off of butchna. Be your own man dude.

Reactions: I40flyer
LMAO. Can't bash the numbers so a fake eye test. pitiful
Lmao....can’t bash the numbers? The hell we can’t.....8 interceptions, 2 pick 6s, less than 60% completions, one of the worst QBs in the country in the red zone.....

Reactions: Remy
He threw some pretty nice jump balls against Auburn that one time... everything else beyond that has been pure inconsistency.

Pruitt's problem is that he's risked sinking a high level program even further than it already was by waiting until year 3 to take an elite QB prospect. Not only that, but he took two projects, two transfers (both capable backups but that's it) and stuck with the worst game-time QB of the modern TN era. It's why we were an 8 win team last year rather than a 9 win team or greater. A capable QB is the difference between 2 wins last year and a good one could've pulled off a miracle vs Bama last year. Simple as that - QB is the weakest part of the team until HB steps to the plate.

So long JG, hope you enjoy the final snaps against Troy. Thanks for taking all those hits.

I WISH UT had a QB as good as k-town thinks JG is. If we did... we would have been in competition for the East last year.
He’s not alone though. Gotta include Pulaski in that conversation as well.

It’s not just holding the ball too long though. It’s inaccurate passes even when there’s no timing involved. And the inability (lack of athleticism) to avoid a 330 pound dtackle that’s running on a straight line. Many of joe burrow and TL’s best plays this last season came after having to pull the ball down to avoid a pass rusher before refocusing downfield. There are also incidents where Jg slides short of the sticks. Or checks down on a crucial 3rd down when he had man coverage deeper down the field.
He’s just a poor qb in every way. No timing, not much touch on his passes, lack of athleticism, lack of understanding as to when to take a shot and when to throw it away.
We really need to hope Harrison shows enough promise to get him out there to start the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnslim1
It’s not just holding the ball too long though. It’s inaccurate passes even when there nontoming involved. And the inability (lack of athleticism) to avoid a 330 pound dtackle that’s running on a straight line. Many of joe burrow amd tl’s biggest plays this last season came after having to pull he ball down to abound a pass rusher before refocusing downfield. There are also incidents where Jg slides short of the sticks. Or checks down on a crucial 3rd down when he had man coverage deeper down the field.
He’s just a poor an in every way. No timing, not much touch on his passes, lack of athleticism, lack of understanding as to when to take a shot and when to throw it away.
We really need to hope Harrison shows enough promise to get him out there to start the season.
Good post.

I don't really care if JG can run for yardage. I would like to see someone extend plays and manage the pocket better than he typically does.

Reactions: chattavol420
Good post.

I don't really care if JG can run for yardage. I would like to see someone extend plays and manage the pocket better than he typically does.

Agree 100%. Burrow isn’t really a down the field runner. Neither was baker mayfield. But those guys were amazing at understanding the momentum of the defender and moving to avoid them. Sometimes it’s stepping up in the pocket and sometimes it’s moving laterally. But just having the moxie to avoid the initial pressure while keep their eyes down field is one of the greatest skills a qb can possess in today’s game. And not to pile on but...jg is about as bad when it come to this as any qb we’ve had.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
There are many of us that have pulled for JG for quite some time as his supporters. I know KB and I were couple of them. However his poor performance last season where we saw the same issues arrive in his play with little improvement demonstrated he simply was what he was, there is no better JG going to take the field. Once realized as fans even as a coaching staff you move on with players of the future. JG does not have the capability to being a winning QB in the SEC in mine and many other peoples opinions who were on his bandwagon at one point, but last year revealed the Vols need a different QB to play consistently winning football.

This response sounds EXACTLY like k-town.

But to your point... it is NOT a "lie" that I am not convinced the two of you are different people. That is an absolute, objective truth.
It's you spreading lies as what you are implying is false. All my information about me is pretty much public knowledge, I don't have anything to hide or run from, certainly not from someone as slimy as you. Only an idiot or weirdo would post here with more than 1 moniker is how I feel about that. For all I know you could be a child molester and have 4 different screen names on here but it would most likely be a lie if I were to imply that in my posts you were a child molester. I've seen you try that little trick at others on here as well. You're not as slick as you think you are.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back