A Theory about JG

Rusty isn't an excuse. JG was good and Maurer was bad vs UK. We love excuses here for BM.

@KB vol we have had countless drives of JG's killed by penalties. I don't want to hear these excuses. Maurer was bad.

I like Maurer and hope he continues to develop and battle for the starting job. I haven’t seen enough of Shrout to make a judgement, but it says a lot that the coaches chose Maurer to come in when JG was benched. Personally, I think Shrout is the first QB to enter the transfer portal, but both of these guys are young so anything can happen.
If I were in their shoes, what happens this spring would determine my choice. Maurer has every reason to believe he should be given serious consideration for the starting job. He started games. He had times when he showed exactly the kind of play they want. He has to clean up his mistakes and become consistent.

Shrout has the arm. Maybe his plan is to graduate after next fall and have a couple of years somewhere else? Hard to say but I personally think both are the caliber of QB to start at a P5 school.

One thing you constantly hear from coaches and scouts is that it’s very difficult for a QB to flip the switch and all of a sudden become an accurate passer. You can make up for it through sheer athleticism, but that it will only take you so far. The other factor is the ability to see the whole field and make 2nd and 3rd progression throws without panicking. Living in Atlanta and seeing a number of Marietta High School vs 7A competition, there is no doubt that Bailey is the real deal. He may not be an RPO-type of QB, but he’s extremely accurate, throws with great touch, has the ability to dissect the defense and find the open receiver. He is the best pure passing QB we’ve had in a long time.
Neither of those guys are inaccurate. Both have to improve decision making.

With Bailey, it is speed of the game. GA 7-A is about as competitive as you'll find in HS but it still isn't close to the SEC.

But with all of these guys, it comes down to the speed and quality of their decisions. All have more than sufficient physical talent.

We've seen JG. He's given us more than enough reason to doubt his ability to process reads quickly and anticipate throws.

We've seen Maurer willing and able to make a quick decision but he's made mistakes that have to be cleaned up.

Still not sure about Shrout.

No real proof on Bailey either way.

The way that it worked for Bama was surrounding above average QB’s with 5 star talent all over the roster. We don’t have either of those. We are improving our talent all over the roster, but we’re not in a position where we can rely on a game manager. JG is a 5th year senior, it’s his turn to start making those around him better because that WR corp is pretty young and inexperienced. I really hope he can make a jump because if the coaching staff is still coaching around a 5th year senior QB then you can count on us losing the games we’re expected to lose.

Respectfully disagree. We have many 5* on offense where needed. Most of the remaining players are 4* veterans with many years of experience and are hardened. Hopefully that translates into wins. We have several wr that fit that mold.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If I were in their shoes, what happens this spring would determine my choice. Maurer has every reason to believe he should be given serious consideration for the starting job. He started games. He had times when he showed exactly the kind of play they want. He has to clean up his mistakes and become consistent.

Shrout has the arm. Maybe his plan is to graduate after next fall and have a couple of years somewhere else? Hard to say but I personally think both are the caliber of QB to start at a P5 school.
Neither of those guys are inaccurate. Both have to improve decision making.
With Bailey, it is speed of the game. GA 7-A is about as competitive as you'll find in HS but it still isn't close to the SEC.
But with all of these guys, it comes down to the speed and quality of their decisions. All have more than sufficient physical talent.
We've seen JG. He's given us more than enough reason to doubt his ability to process reads quickly and anticipate throws.
We've seen Maurer willing and able to make a quick decision but he's made mistakes that have to be cleaned up.
Still not sure about Shrout.
No real proof on Bailey either way.

Agree. Spring and summer workouts/practices will be critical for all of the QB's. What has me so excited about Bailey is he performed incredibly well against very tough competition. Will it translate against SEC competition is anyone's guess but it will be fascinating to watch how this all plays out.

Reactions: sjt18
pretty much agree with your whole post...but some additional comments on this point....

obviously HS at any level isn't the SEC...

but i will just say that given the types of players HB was both playing with, and against, at that level....which was filled with teams that had P5 level prospects....it probably prepared him as well as he can be prepared for it.

as a result, i'd be willing to say that HB is probably the most "game ready" freshman we've had......maybe ever? not a knock on casey or peyton, or any previous qb we've had.... just an acknowledgement about today's access and availablity to extra cirricular coaching, camps etc.....that weren't necessarly as prevelant in the past....and HB has been invovled in those things since he was in 8th grade.....plus the 4 years at a program like Marietta........

we don't know about Bailey, true.

i just won't be surprised if he does move up the depth chart pretty quick....if he doesn't, well, he's a freshman, and the learning curve is still a big one.

and in the end, the thing i like the most about that possiblity is that it'll put the pressure on the other guys to step it up.....which is sorely needed.

Vols were dead and lifeless behind Muarer vs Ky. BM stunk up the place and JG played really good that game. I thought everyone that watched the game that had any football knowledge at all saw the same thing. Not sure how you saw it the exact opposite. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would claim any different.
Complete BS.

The game began with Maurer and the offense standing on the sideline about half an hour real time in the freezing cold weather because Kentucky’s offense was punking our defense. Maurer hadn’t played in nearly a month because of his second concussion in the game vs Alabam (yeah, THAT Alabama game which made Guarantano both infamous and a national college football laughingstock). Not surprisingly, Maurer and the O got off to a slow start. But they were hardly “dead” and lifeless when they finally got the freaking ball in the second quarter on the 11 play 71 yard scoring drive that was surely gonna end in 7 points rather than 3 had it not been for Smith’s ridiculously stupid personal foul penalty which essentially killed the opportunity for a touchdown.

More than 6 yards a play, 4 plays of 14 yards or more by Maurer and a drive ending in points is hardly dead and lifeless. Same goes for the 40 yards in 4 plays in 16 seconds right before another dumbass 15 yard personal foul penalty ended any chance to get points right before the half.

Vols were starting to figure some things out offensively and Maurer was making some plays, many of them (6) chunk plays. No doubt in my mind that with the halftime adjustments made and the much better defensive effort in the second half, that Maurer could’ve led us to 2 td drives, probably more, in the second half.

Reactions: 1vol8
JG could have a good season but he is not decisive enough in decision making nor is he accurate enough to be phenomenal as a passing QB and he is too dang slow to be phenomenal as an athletic QB. Vols can not contend for the East title with JG at QB.
Agree completely. If CM is eligible to play, this could be the best we’ve been on the O line in a long time, but with the inconsistency JG brings it could also be a waist. I just don’t get how the guy can be that inconsistent

Georgia was 1 win away from it working this past year and 1 play away from winning it all 2 years ago running the old era offense.
UGA wasn't close at all last year. They were a solid tier below LSU/Clemson/OSU with their offense. 2017 is a different story, but its rare for a team to get that many players return for their senior year. Its much easier to adopt a spread than recruit 2 5* RB's, develop them into first round talents, and then convince them both to return for their senior years.

but i will just say that given the types of players HB was both playing with, and against, at that level....which was filled with teams that had P5 level prospects....it probably prepared him as well as he can be prepared for it.

as a result, i'd be willing to say that HB is probably the most "game ready" freshman we've had......maybe ever? not a knock on casey or peyton, or any previous qb we've had.... just an acknowledgement about today's access and availablity to extra cirricular coaching, camps etc.....that weren't necessarly as prevelant in the past....and HB has been invovled in those things since he was in 8th grade.....plus the 4 years at a program like Marietta........
Hmm. I had not really thought about it but you are probably right.

i just won't be surprised if he does move up the depth chart pretty quick....if he doesn't, well, he's a freshman, and the learning curve is still a big one.
I won't either unless Maurer really shines.

and in the end, the thing i like the most about that possiblity is that it'll put the pressure on the other guys to step it up.....which is sorely needed.
Cha-ching.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Hmm. I had not really thought about it but you are probably right.

I won't either unless Maurer really shines.

Cha-ching.
i think he's the wild card.....

that kid has everything you want from an "intangible" standpoint. he's got some phyiscal ability, and is athletic enough to stress defenses when gets out of the pocket, and you can design plays in the run game for him.

if he picks up the football iq part, it's gonna be real interesting.

the only problem he presents at the moment, all other things being equal, is that you don't always know what he's gonna do....there's a bit of a reliability issue, both from a health standpoint, and simply just not having a clue as to what he's gonna do once he get the ball in his hands....

i.e. even if he runs and it's a good, positive play, is that something you can "rely" on as a matter of process for the offense? at some point, the offense has to run as designed, and needs to be successful becuase of that, not because of an individual's ability to make chicken salad out of chicken ish.

it's akin to Dobbs and how he was best when plays broke down........which was great........until we had a qb that couldn't do what he did when plays broke down.

if you can get maurer up to speed on the football iq, get him to play w/in the offense, then that athletic ability to get out of jams becomes a weapon....that just can't be "old reliable" when he's on the field. (hope all that makes sense)

lol. i like the kid though. lotta upside.

Complete BS.

The game began with Maurer and the offense standing on the sideline about half an hour real time in the freezing cold weather because Kentucky’s offense was punking our defense. Maurer hadn’t played in nearly a month because of his second concussion in the game vs Alabam (yeah, THAT Alabama game which made Guarantano both infamous and a national college football laughingstock). Not surprisingly, Maurer and the O got off to a slow start. But they were hardly “dead” and lifeless when they finally got the freaking ball in the second quarter on the 11 play 71 yard scoring drive that was surely gonna end in 7 points rather than 3 had it not been for Smith’s ridiculously stupid personal foul penalty which essentially killed the opportunity for a touchdown.

More than 6 yards a play, 4 plays of 14 yards or more by Maurer and a drive ending in points is hardly dead and lifeless. Same goes for the 40 yards in 4 plays in 16 seconds right before another dumbass 15 yard personal foul penalty ended any chance to get points right before the half.

Vols were starting to figure some things out offensively and Maurer was making some plays, many of them (6) chunk plays. No doubt in my mind that with the halftime adjustments made and the much better defensive effort in the second half, that Maurer could’ve led us to 2 td drives, probably more, in the second half.
Absolutely 💯 correct. Would he have possibly made a mistake in the second half? I’m sure he would’ve but there’s no doubt in my mind that he also puts up 10 more total points.

Excuses Excuses Excuses.

JG was the best we had period. He has had more drives killed by penalties and drops than any qb we have had. I don't want to hear this crybaby shite now when we never used excuses for Dobbs or JG.

You are just clueless. Not even funny at this point.
I'm not sure its comical but its factual.

JG lost his job as a 4th year JR to a true FR. And that true FR wasnt the anointed one that was sure fire gonna be the next guy up. Or a Bailey type for comparison. He had some ability but most everyone knew he wasnt ready yet.

JG didnt lose his job for a half or a game just to send a message. Had that been the case he would have made his next start against Bama and never looked back. Instead he didnt take the spot completely back until he started at Mizzou where he had his best game.

He followed that up with 6 -17 for 120 yrds and a pick against Vandy. And 18 - 31 for 220 and 2 picks against IU.

He didnt slam the door on competition at the position after Mizzou. The good thing is if he doesnt figure it out and on a consistent basis rather quick UT has more and better options than this year and Pruitt will move on.

I thought I would take a step back and try and figure out a theory as to why JG can't seem to release a pass on time, why he tends to hold the ball a half-second too long. And I think it might be Pavlovian.

Think about it, the first two seasons he played, he often got NAILED just as he would release the ball. No one denies he took some savage hits in 2017 and 2018. Heck, even those of us who don't want him to start see clearly just how tough the kid is, and that he clearly wants to win.

That said, if he got accustomed to taking a hit once he released, maybe his cerebellum is forcing him to hold the ball to avoid the response it expects, and it takes a 1/4 or 1/2 second for his cerebrum to override this base instinct.

If that is part of the issue, I wonder how in the heck you coach that out of someone?

For that matter, a lot of us question his decision making after the snap. Maybe he goes into survival mode (more than most QBs) because of those hits. So his decisions are less reason and more survival.

Anyway, just a theory. I'm bored. Figured I'd open this up for discussion.
Very interesting theory, and a thought that had occured to me, though I didn't drill down into it as much. Tend to agree it might have affected him. At the same time, some QBs just hold on to the ball too much. The Bills had a QB like that in the early 2000s, he was from So Cal but I can't recall his name. They used to say there wasn't any air left in the ball, he gripped it so tight. (-:

i think he's the wild card.....

that kid has everything you want from an "intangible" standpoint. he's got some phyiscal ability, and is athletic enough to stress defenses when gets out of the pocket, and you can design plays in the run game for him.

if he picks up the football iq part, it's gonna be real interesting.

the only problem he presents at the moment, all other things being equal, is that you don't always know what he's gonna do....there's a bit of a reliability issue, both from a health standpoint, and simply just not having a clue as to what he's gonna do once he get the ball in his hands....

i.e. even if he runs and it's a good, positive play, is that something you can "rely" on as a matter of process for the offense? at some point, the offense has to run as designed, and needs to be successful becuase of that, not because of an individual's ability to make chicken salad out of chicken ish.

it's akin to Dobbs and how he was best when plays broke down........which was great........until we had a qb that couldn't do what he did when plays broke down.

if you can get maurer up to speed on the football iq, get him to play w/in the offense, then that athletic ability to get out of jams becomes a weapon....that just can't be "old reliable" when he's on the field. (hope all that makes sense)

lol. i like the kid though. lotta upside.
Absolutely. Good post.

Excuses Excuses Excuses.

JG was the best we had period. He has had more drives killed by penalties and drops than any qb we have had. I don't want to hear this crybaby shite now when we never used excuses for Dobbs or JG.
I think Maurer is closer to Dobbs than JG. Also, it’s debatable whether JG was the better QB when both were healthy. He should’ve been based on experience, but it’s like Groundhog Day with him. For every solid play he makes there is an equally bad one that soon follows.

Regarding the drive killers, JG is his own worst enemy. The drops and penalties seem relatively small compared to the under/over thrown passes, interceptions, and sacks that could’ve been avoided if he wasn’t laser focused on one receiver. I’m not even talking about the bad throws that he was bailed out on by Jennings, Calloway, and Palmer amazing catches.

Reactions: sjt18
Excuses Excuses Excuses.

I think it’s a shame that you (a supposed fan of the team) can’t see what you got in comparison to JG. You’re blinded by stats. Well most are not. As bad as you say he was, it was a UK fan that took time out of his day a few months ago to join VN and post a thread of written concern and “fishing for info” leading up to the game, hoping we weren’t going to play Maurer and praying we were going to play JG instead. As a true freshman already striking fear into opposing fan bases it shows you’re not only in the minority on this board but possibly throughout the nation. It’s going to be a 3 way battle for the top spot. JG for his experience. Bm for his abilities overall and potential and HB for his hype. It would not shock me to see it any of these ways as a result.
1- JG
2- BM
3- HB
This is most likely given Pruitts track record
Or
1- BM
2- JG
3- HB
I can see this happening because if BM improves any it seems he may actually pass JG in terms of trust. Or
1- HB
2- BM
3- JG
If Pruitt decides to go HB over the others I think it’s a total youth movement AND HB is a total phenomenon. I think this is the least likely as HB will need time just as any other qb would.

I think Maurer is closer to Dobbs than JG. Also, it’s debatable whether JG was the better QB when both were healthy. He should’ve been based on experience, but it’s like Groundhog Day with him. For every solid play he makes there is an equally bad one that soon follows.

Regarding the drive killers, JG is his own worst enemy. The drops and penalties seem relatively small compared to the under/over thrown passes, interceptions, and sacks that could’ve been avoided if he wasn’t laser focused on one receiver. I’m not even talking about the bad throws that he was bailed out on by Jennings, Calloway, and Palmer amazing catches.
Its not debatable. JG was better. The stats say it, the coaches said it, the players said it.

He has a historically low int rate so the ints killing drives is false. He has also been one of the most accurate UT qbs.

He has had more drives stopped due to being stuffed on short runs, penalties, and drops than bad play. That is a fact. When it does happen no one uses excuses. I don't want to hear them for Maurer either.

I think it’s a shame that you (a supposed fan of the team) can’t see what you got in comparison to JG. You’re blinded by stats. Well most are not. As bad as you say he was, it was a UK fan that took time out of his day a few months ago to join VN and post a thread of written concern and “fishing for info” leading up to the game, hoping we weren’t going to play Maurer and praying we were going to play JG instead. As a true freshman already striking fear into opposing fan bases it shows you’re not only in the minority on this board but possibly throughout the nation. It’s going to be a 3 way battle for the top spot. JG for his experience. Bm for his abilities overall and potential and HB for his hype. It would not shock me to see it any of these ways as a result.
1- JG
2- BM
3- HB
This is most likely given Pruitts track record
Or
1- BM
2- JG
3- HB
I can see this happening because if BM improves any it seems he may actually pass JG in terms of trust. Or
1- HB
2- BM
3- JG
If Pruitt decides to go HB over the others I think it’s a total youth movement AND HB is a total phenomenon. I think this is the least likely as HB will need time just as any other qb would.
I am actually a UT fan from Knoxville from a UT family. You are a Maurer handler who trolls real UT fans.

No one is scared of Maurer. Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble.

His ability? His ability to what? Throw an int and take a sack? He did that much more than completing passes or throwing tds.

If he improves he may reach where JG was as a freshman. He would need a damn near unprecedented leap in ability and decision making to catch or pass JG. Bailey and JG are also both much more talented. Also Hill is more talented and has played better against college comp.

At best he is fourth most talented. Holiday may even be better but he is a developmental project like Maurer was.

Most likely it will be either
JG
HB
Hill
BM

OR

HB
JG
Hill
BM

Respectfully disagree. We have many 5* on offense where needed. Most of the remaining players are 4* veterans with many years of experience and are hardened. Hopefully that translates into wins. We have several wr that fit that mold.

I think in terms of overall talent we’re not where Bama was. We definitely have some nice pieces, especially on the O-line, but it’s not like we’re stocking the backfield with Heisman contenders. Then There is obviously the elephant in the room that is the biggest question of all. I hope you’re right and we find the mix of guys to win some big time games next year.

He hasn't been effective in part because he has flaws that make him easy to defend and especially once you get him in certain situations. He's pretty awful in the red zone. Literally outside the top 100 in CFB. The more compressed his time is to read and make a timely throw is... the worse he is. He looks good when UT avoids those situations. When UT can't... he looks like he did vs IU.

He looks good when UT avoids the redzone? That's easy to accomplish when JG is on the field.

Its not debatable. JG was better. The stats say it, the coaches said it, the players said it.

He has a historically low int rate so the ints killing drives is false. He has also been one of the most accurate UT qbs.

He has had more drives stopped due to being stuffed on short runs, penalties, and drops than bad play. That is a fact. When it does happen no one uses excuses. I don't want to hear them for Maurer either.

I am actually a UT fan from Knoxville from a UT family. You are a Maurer handler who trolls real UT fans.

His ability? His ability to what? Throw an int and take a sack? He did that much more than completing passes or throwing tds.

He would need a damn near unprecedented leap in ability and decision making to catch or pass JG. Bailey and JG are also both much more talented. Also Hill is more talented and has played better against college comp.

At best he is fourth most talented. Holiday may even be better but he is a developmental project like Maurer was.

Most likely it will be either
JG
HB
Hill
BM

OR

HB
JG
Hill
BM
#1 knowing someone doesn’t make you a “handler”. It’s makes you informed. And I’m not ”trolling” UT fans at all. I’m actually getting along with most and a lot of times sharing info that the average fan may not know. Some may view that as an asset to the board. Remember last year? It was me telling everyone the qb competition was much closer than advertised.

#2. Tell that to the UK fan that started the thread. Has that ever happened in JGs favor? Idk

#3. His ability to hit his mark. His ability to AVIOD a sack and his ability to lead a team as evidenced by the turn around this past season. You may write him off but JG and HB both have a problem trying to hold him off if/when he gets his decision making under control because neither can physically do what he can once he’s improved in that ONE area.

If he improves he may reach where JG was as a freshman. He would need a damn near unprecedented leap in ability and decision making to catch or pass JG. Bailey and JG are also both much more talented. Also Hill is more talented and has played better against college comp.

BM
Are you serious? If JG was our best option then why was he constantly pulled? How many Int’s did JG throw in the end zone? Why did he not follow the play that was given to him by the coaches on the goal line of the Alabama game? I’m not saying Maurer is the next great QB at UT, but you seem to have an agenda with him or a very selective memory. He clearly showed some promise when he was healthy.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back