A Theory about JG

For many years, Ala. won SEC titles and a few Nat Champ. with only an average to slightly above avg. qb.

I think if coach hits all the right buttons we can be 10-2 next season even with JG at starting qb all those games.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The stats say otherwise.
3.5 good games as a redshirt junior after being declared the only player on the team to have a starting job locked up. The others QBs, a true freshman and a redshirt freshman, they never had a chance until JG was so horrible to start the season, that Pruitt had no choice to, very reluctantly, pull him.

Recall the Georgia game when Maurer started and looked fantastic in the first half....200+ yards and 2 tds vs the best defense we played all last year. Maurer unfortunately got concusses in the second half, and mighty JG came in to save the day, by going 1-5 for 14 yards.

And then there was the SCar game, where Shrout finally got a chance to play and looked better than the RSJr....Shrout, in limited play,
There’s a few stats for ya.
You act like JG didn't play a big role in winning 8 games this past year.
How’d he play vs GaState? BYU? Florida? Georgia? Alabama? Vandy? Indiana? In a word, he was awful.

He played well against Miss State, played well vs SCar although no better than than RSFr Shrout, was not particularly good vs UAB, played a good half vs Kentucky although he only threw 8 passes and helped lead the team to only 14 points.....he was very good vs Missouri, but, as noted earlier, was straight trash to close out the season vs both Vandy and Indiana coming off that career game vs the Tigers.

So yeah, it’s beyond overstating it to say he played a big role in winning all 8 games last year. On balance, he was far less than acceptable as a starting D1 QB, which is why he finds himself, a 5th year player, in a quarterback competition going into the spring with 3 younger guys who collectively have virtually no playing experience.

Reactions: tbh and BeardedVol
7/16 passing was part of the hole. If he doesn't throw an incomplete pass of third there can be no block on fourth down. Second drive killed by two incompletions. He had five or six drives if you count the end of half drive.

He did. Just not much.
It was 4 drives, unless you wanna count the 16 seconds he got to try and score right before the half....and even then he moved the offense 40 yards in 4 plays.

Of course, you’d never offer the appropriate context, which was that Maurer, who was coming off 2 concussions and hadn’t played in nearly a month, was, SHOCKINGLY enough, rusty on the first drive couple of drives on the road at Kentucky. He got 1 possession in the first quarter due to our defense not being able to get off the field, after allowing a 17 play drive that ate up more than 10 minutes and resulted in a 7-0 deficit.

It obviously took the true freshman 2-3 possessions to find some rhythm, especially seeing as how he found himself standing on the sideline most of the first half due to Kentucky running the ball down our defense’s throat. But he got it going in the second quarter......on the scoring drive in the first half, he completed 30 yards to Jennings, followed by 17 yards to Palmer, then 14 more yards to Palmer. Unfortunately, a ridiculous 15 yard personal foul penalty by Tennessee put us way behind the sticks....Maurer broke a 17 yard run on 3rd and 20, but it was still 4th and 3 and we settled for a field goal. Our next offensive drive stalled, but then on the last drive before the half, we got the ball with all of 16 seconds.....Maurer moved us 40 yards in 4 plays from our own 20, but couldn’t overcome another dumb 15 yard personal foul penalty that ended the half.

Pruitt and Chaney made some good offensive adjustments at half, and for some reason went to Guarantano despite Maurer clearly playing better and moving the offense pretty well in the 2nd quarter. JG came in and led the team on 2 good drives to start the 3rd quarter, but that was it.....on the last 3 offensive drives of the game, we had all of 9 plays for 27 yards and no points.

For many years, Ala. won SEC titles and a few Nat Champ. with only an average to slightly above avg. qb.

I think if coach hits all the right buttons we can be 10-2 next season even with JG at starting qb all those games.
New era of Offense now. That approach won’t cut it in 2020.

Reactions: cgrish
New era of Offense now. That approach won’t cut it in 2020.

The way that it worked for Bama was surrounding above average QB’s with 5 star talent all over the roster. We don’t have either of those. We are improving our talent all over the roster, but we’re not in a position where we can rely on a game manager. JG is a 5th year senior, it’s his turn to start making those around him better because that WR corp is pretty young and inexperienced. I really hope he can make a jump because if the coaching staff is still coaching around a 5th year senior QB then you can count on us losing the games we’re expected to lose.

Reactions: Woke
It was 4 drives, unless you wanna count the 16 seconds he got to try and score right before the half....and even then he moved the offense 40 yards in 4 plays.

Of course, you’d never offer the appropriate context, which was that Maurer, who was coming off 2 concussions and hadn’t played in nearly a month, was, SHOCKINGLY enough, rusty on the first drive couple of drives on the road at Kentucky. He got 1 possession in the first quarter due to our defense not being able to get off the field, after allowing a 17 play drive that ate up more than 10 minutes and resulted in a 7-0 deficit.

It obviously took the true freshman 2-3 possessions to find some rhythm, especially seeing as how he found himself standing on the sideline most of the first half due to Kentucky running the ball down our defense’s throat. But he got it going in the second quarter......on the scoring drive in the first half, he completed 30 yards to Jennings, followed by 17 yards to Palmer, then 14 more yards to Palmer. Unfortunately, a ridiculous 15 yard personal foul penalty by Tennessee put us way behind the sticks....Maurer broke a 17 yard run on 3rd and 20, but it was still 4th and 3 and we settled for a field goal. Our next offensive drive stalled, but then on the last drive before the half, we got the ball with all of 16 seconds.....Maurer moved us 40 yards in 4 plays from our own 20, but couldn’t overcome another dumb 15 yard personal foul penalty that ended the half.

Pruitt and Chaney made some good offensive adjustments at half, and for some reason went to Guarantano despite Maurer clearly playing better and moving the offense pretty well in the 2nd quarter. JG came in and led the team on 2 good drives to start the 3rd quarter, but that was it.....on the last 3 offensive drives of the game, we had all of 9 plays for 27 yards and no points.
Vols were dead and lifeless behind Muarer vs Ky. BM stunk up the place and JG played really good that game. I thought everyone that watched the game that had any football knowledge at all saw the same thing. Not sure how you saw it the exact opposite. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would claim any different.

Reading your explanation is like rewatching the game itself. Great job! That’s why I disagree when some say he didn’t play like himself referring to the entire game. There were a couple of drives that that I would agree early but he also had a couple as the game wore on that he every bit as effective as he’s always been. We’ve all been watching this game all our lives and I can’t remember one time that a qb came back from a long lay off and preformed as if he never missed a snap. The term “rusty” exist for that reason alone. Expecting BM to be any different is expecting him to be inhuman simply because he wears a power T while being involved in a qb battle. Simply put....JG is not “better” than Maurer. Pruitt just seems to trusts experience over potential.

Ps*. If I’m not mistaken that last 16 seconds WAS his 4th drive. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Vols were dead and lifeless behind Muarer vs Ky. BM stunk up the place and JG played really good that game. I thought everyone that watched the game that had any football knowledge at all saw the same thing. Not sure how you saw it the exact opposite. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would claim any different.
He explained in detail exactly how it happened. Calling anyone out on their football knowledge for seeing it that way only shows your own.

Reactions: KBVol
Georgia was 1 win away from it working this past year and 1 play away from winning it all 2 years ago running the old era offense.

They were, and Fromm was pretty dang good because there we a lot of draft picks on both sides of the ball. If you look at who is winning championships and going to the CFP it’s the teams that have elite QB play. Fromm was more the exception than the rule. We don‘t have a Fromm on our team yet, let alone a Watson, Lawrence, Tua, Hurts, Burrow, Mayfield, etc... We need above average QB play and a run game this season to lean on.

Agree to a degree.

Pruitt named JG the starter in January. They spent the entire offseason trying to get his head right. He showed signs in practice of getting better.... then he laid an egg and got benched. Obviously if Maurer or Shrout found a way to outshine the guy they were pouring so much energy into who had already been named the starter... they would have started. JG didn't "hold the job". He lost it and probably would not have gotten in back if Maurer had not gotten dropped on his head trying to make a play. That's not to say Maurer was necessarily the answer... but they were willing to invest the season in the potential they saw vs UGA.

I agree that JG's weaknesses appear to be innate. He's close to or at his ceiling when it comes to being able to process reads quickly and anticipate throws.

Bailey is less known than the others. I hope he's that good... but my money is on the talented guys with more college experience and development.
I like Maurer and hope he continues to develop and battle for the starting job. I haven’t seen enough of Shrout to make a judgement, but it says a lot that the coaches chose Maurer to come in when JG was benched. Personally, I think Shrout is the first QB to enter the transfer portal, but both of these guys are young so anything can happen.

One thing you constantly hear from coaches and scouts is that it’s very difficult for a QB to flip the switch and all of a sudden become an accurate passer. You can make up for it through sheer athleticism, but that it will only take you so far. The other factor is the ability to see the whole field and make 2nd and 3rd progression throws without panicking. Living in Atlanta and seeing a number of Marietta High School vs 7A competition, there is no doubt that Bailey is the real deal. He may not be an RPO-type of QB, but he’s extremely accurate, throws with great touch, has the ability to dissect the defense and find the open receiver. He is the best pure passing QB we’ve had in a long time.

If the O line plays to its star rating, then it will not be the Achilles it has been, meaning if JG is the starter he would be well protected and have a phenomenal season.

If the O line plays to its star rating, then it will not be the Achilles it has been, meaning if JG is the starter he would be well protected and have a phenomenal season.

JG could have a good season but he is not decisive enough in decision making nor is he accurate enough to be phenomenal as a passing QB and he is too dang slow to be phenomenal as an athletic QB. Vols can not contend for the East title with JG at QB.

VN Store

Back