A Proposed VolNation FAQ & Guide

If you see a thread title with just a players name then you can be pretty confident it's nothing bad. The ones containing actual news (good or bad) are updated to avoid the multiple threads that are sure to follow

Do not "sneak in" political or religious jabs to posts.
All here are Vol fans (other than a few mostly friendly rivals).
Some of us have very strong political and/or religious views. Which is perfectly fine.
But this is just not the place to express them.

So you're against freedom of speech? Just kidding, only joking, just poking fun, not serious, only playing around, imagine blue font, etc...

Last edited:
If you see a thread title with just a players name then you can be pretty confident it's nothing bad. The ones containing actual news (good or bad) are updated to avoid the multiple threads that are sure to follow

:eek:hmy:

Last edited:
In all honesty tho, there are several things here that VN has used that newbies won't get like the blue font thing...
I never knew what TOS meant, so maybe not an internet lingo section but a "VN lingo" section.
If you're doing a SUGGESTIONS thing I would post "please dont hit QUOTE on really long OPs".

Reactions: 2 people
Just because you say that you have inside information does not mean that people are going to take your word. We don't know you!

Do not "sneak in" political or religious jabs to posts.
All here are Vol fans (other than a few mostly friendly rivals).
Some of us have very strong political and/or religious views. Which is perfectly fine.
But this is just not the place to express them.

^ Non-working, big government, bleeding heart liberal ^

In all honesty tho, there are several things here that VN has used that newbies won't get like the blue font thing...
I never knew what TOS meant, so maybe not an internet lingo section but a "VN lingo" section.
If you're doing a SUGGESTIONS thing I would post "please dont hit QUOTE on really long OPs".

That quote thing is my favorite! Dude posts 17 pictures, very next poster quotes them all and adds "cool" to the end.

An explanation of Rod Wilkes' omnipresence.

Heh, Grad500, I wish I understood it myself! I often wonder about the Rod Wilkes legend, but can just sense that a serious answer would never, ever come. So I've learned to just mentally equate Rod to the VN version of Chuck Norris. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Heh, Grad500, I wish I understood it myself! I often wonder about the Rod Wilkes legend, but can just sense that a serious answer would never, ever come. So I've learned to just mentally equate Rod to the VN version of Chuck Norris. :)

Rob Wilkes >Chuck Norris>Rob Wilkes

Tl;dr is a must for long posts...

It most certainly is not! "Tl;dr" should be considered banworthy, out of sheer unadulterated intellectual laziness.

Heh, hard to believe, but the U.S. Army has its own writing style, published in a short, 20-30 page pamphlet ... sort of like the Army's own Harbrace or Strunk & White.

One of the central elements of Army writing style is explicitly stating the "bottom line" (central message or recommendation) of the paper. And by explicitly, I mean putting a separate line at the top of the paper that looks like this:

Bottom Line Up Front: Recommend CG direct the promotion of Rod Wilkes to 1st Lieutenant.

tl;dr is just the internet's version of the BLUF. :)

p.s. Adapted the OP to typical FAQ format. Thanks for the new entries, guys, it is actually shaping up to look like a FAQ now. :hi:

Last edited:
Heh, hard to believe, but the U.S. Army has its own writing style, published in a short, 20-30 page pamphlet ... sort of like the Army's own Harbrace or Strunk & White.

One of the central elements of Army writing style is explicitly stating the "bottom line" (central message or recommendation) of the paper. And by explicitly, I mean putting a separate line at the top of the paper that looks like this:

Bottom Line Up Front: Recommend CG direct the promotion of Rod Wilkes to 1st Lieutenant.

tl;dr is just the internet's version of the BLUF. :)

p.s. Changed the OP to actually use typical FAQ format. Thanks for the new entries, guys, it is actually shaping up to look like a FAQ now. :hi:

I respect your opinion and appreciate your input on this point. However, as someone currently engaged in the process of writing a Ph.D. Dissertation, I have no respect whatsoever for someone who finds a post consisting of two or three paragraphs intellectually taxing.

Fred Jones? Who is Fred Jones and when did he commit?

#15 -- if you can't locate the blue font button, then end the post with "blue font." blue font

I respect your opinion and appreciate your input on this point. However, as someone currently engaged in the process of writing a Ph.D. Dissertation, I have no respect whatsoever for someone who finds a post consisting of two or three paragraphs intellectually taxing.

Rex, I think you assume the wrong motivation of many. It is often less about intellectual effort and more about saving time. Some people just want the short version so they can get on with other things. They're not lazy...just in a hurry.

On the other hand, sometimes you're right. They're just lazy. :)

p.s. Good luck on your dissertation!

Last edited:

They are if there is nothing intellectual in them.

Fred Jones? Who is Fred Jones and when did he commit?

#15 -- if you can't locate the blue font button, then end the post with "blue font." blue font

It's gonna get real confusing around here if we actually recruit a kid named Fred Jones. :)

VN Store

Back