A deeper look into Tony Elliott at Clemson. A data based examination

Is this the dude who didn't make their CFP game and Dabo said "We will be fine" then they got their asses kicked?

Ditto, this is NOT the guy we want.

It's funny because people were hating on Pruitt because he was a coordinator when in fact Pruitt has a hands down better resume. Proven coach or a legitimate offensive mastermind is what we need and I don't think Elliot is either. I'm sure he's a good dude who can potentially be a successful coach but it's not what we need.

Reactions: loservol
They we're pretty successful at their first jobs after being coordinators :)

Those names were successful but it's a huge gamble when hiring coordinators as HCs. Sometimes it's the best hire and a lot of the times it doesn't work out well.

Reactions: loservol
Debunked ... 2015 Clemson article

Without further ado, let me put some of these questions and fears to rest: Tony Elliott calls all plays for the Clemson offense. How do I know that? When the two were announced as co-coordinators, Dabo, Scott, and Elliott all said as much in very plain language. On Sunday, Dec. 7th, just days after making the announcement that Scott and Elliott would be co-coordinators, Dabo announced that Tony Elliott would be calling plays. A few days later, in a joint press conference, Elliott discussed how he plans on calling the plays and managing the game. Scott went on to joke that he proposed they divide the play calling duties so that he could call first and second downs and Elliott could call third and fourth downs, but ends by saying that, "We figured this [Tony calling plays] was probably the best way." Tony Elliott was announced as the play caller almost immediately by Dabo. Tony and Jeff have both, consistently, confirmed that Elliott is the one calling the plays. There has been nothing said by anyone directly associated with Clemson to the contrary, so we have every reason to believe that Tony Elliott is the one calling plays for the Clemson Tiger offense. If it's really that straight forward, why has there been so much confusion?

Because they don't want Tony Elliot

Reactions: 08Vol
I never have worshipped at the Church of This Happened So... and I’m not tithing now. Elliott’s low on my list of preferences but I tune out “cain’t hire this guy...he’s a Bammer” and do the same with “we hired a coordinator and it didn’t work”. Until EVERY situation is exactly the same and can be scientifically proven, I’m agnostic.

Point taken Butchna, but I am just concerned about whether a guy surrounded by 4 and 5 stars, who we can certainly question how much real play-calling he's done, and don't see any clear evidence he has the tools to actually run a power 5 program. Let him go get some experience at a lesser place then he will have a track record.......that's all I'm saying.

Is this the dude who didn't make their CFP game and Dabo said "We will be fine" then they got their asses kicked?
Also very telling that Dabo doesn't really value his coaching ability with that remark. Clemson was a little off this year on the offensive side.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
He's had the opportunity to learn and develop his own program philosophies from Dabo. Not a bad person to learn how things are to be ran. What to do and not to do. He's ready to step into a HC job just like every other HC who was given a chance. If it's Elliott, so be it. If its someone else, so be it. I'm just ready to give who ever it is the opportunity to lead and win.

When so was in the Army, I had NCO's telling me certain Soldiers weren't ready to be promoted. Most were E-5 Squad Leaders. It wasn't that the Soldiers weren't ready, the NCO's just felt they didn't deserve it because of pride. A realization that those Soldiers under them would now be their peer. They couldn't accept it. Kind of like having to accept another OC as HC. No OC is the same.
Yep, Morris and Scott had the opportunity to learn from Dabo. But apparently did not.

It's funny because people were hating on Pruitt because he was a coordinator when in fact Pruitt has a hands down better resume. Proven coach or a legitimate offensive mastermind is what we need and I don't think Elliot is either. I'm sure he's a good dude who can potentially be a successful coach but it's not what we need.
Stop thinking and research what kind of coach he is. What players think. You've seen his on the field results already. Find out the kind of man he is, then make an educated response as to if you think he's good enough.

We have had major dysfunction within our administration for years with too much booster influence and warring factions. Not all schools are like UT and Auburn in this regard. It's well known that Saban insisted that boosters, particularly Bryant, Jr. GTFO as a condition of taking the job. A similar separation of church and state needs to occur at UT if we are to have a prayer of changing things for the better.
True that.

You named two random ass OC’s and that’s suppose to mean Elliot is destined to suck? Maybe he does or maybe he doesn’t but the examples you gave about other coaches doesn’t do it for me. Sorry you typed that super long message and didn’t really get a point across.

You could have simply said, “ other assistants have sucked before” and that would have been the same point as typing the story you typed.

If Danny wants Elliot, I want Elliot. #indannyitrust

He's not the highest on my list, but if Danny says he's OK, He's OK

Yep, Morris and Scott had the opportunity to learn from Dabo. But apparently did not.

A lot of coaches didn't do so well on their 1st HC gig. Has nothing to do with any other coach like Morris and Scott's results have nothing to do with anyone else.

Because Elliot has a higher ceiling.

Not to mention OFFENSE is the name of the game.

That's a huge difference.

People need to stop with this stupidazz analogy. One has nothing to do with the other.

Im just asking - other than an uninformed opinion - what metrics are you using to actually merit the statement "he has a higher ceiling"? You are basing this opinion on the hype around Elliott in my opinion. Elliott may work out great, and if he is named I'll climb aboard once again But he is a much much bigger risk in my opinion that a Leipold, Herman, or Chadwell.

Those names were successful but it's a huge gamble when hiring coordinators as HCs. Sometimes it's the best hire and a lot of the times it doesn't work out well.

Doug Dickey was an assistant at Arkansas I think it was and it worked out pretty good

A lot of coaches didn't do so well on their 1st HC gig. Has nothing to do with any other coach like Morris and Scott's results have nothing to do with anyone else see.

You cannot say that until we see how Elliott does. I just wish "how he does" wouldn't be at Tennessee at a time when we are snakebit from a coordinator of a program where the HC micromanages things more than some will acknowledge.

Since reading comprehension isn’t one of your strengths, I’ll try to help you out. The key phrase in my post was “for a program trying to rebuild”. Smart and Jimbo didn’t take total rebuild jobs as coordinators getting SEC gigs. Mullen got a basement dweller program job at MSU. Those are totally different situations than UT. Our problems are way too big for an up and coming coordinator.

Florida State had 3 6 loss seasons in 4 years and had just been put on 4 years probation with scholarship losses when Fisher took over. He was rebuilding. So was Stoops at Oklahoma. So was Mullen at Miss State. So was Neyland at Tennessee.

Doug Dickey was an assistant at Arkansas I think it was and it worked out pretty good

Again, people love to cherry-pick a guy here and a guy there who prove their point. If you list the men who were coordinators that didn't succeed as HC when they took over a Power 5, I'll almost guarantee that loser list is way way longer

Explain how Pruitt had a better resume?

He's not the highest on my list, but if Danny says he's OK, He's OK

Yep, I guess that summarizes how I feel. But I'm just hoping Danny boy doesn't say "he's ok" If he does Ill go all in until I see that he cannot handle a big job at a plugged in fanbase

Again, people love to cherry-pick a guy here and a guy there who prove their point. If you list the men who were coordinators that didn't succeed as HC when they took over a Power 5, I'll almost guarantee that loser list is way way longer

you seem to be a statistician so you may be right, however I'll welcome Elliot if White hires him. that being said, Elliot is not my pick

That's what the search firm is for.

Hypothetically...

Search Firm: Mr. Elliott, any interest in being head coach at Knoxville?
Elliott: I'm listening.
Search Firm: Can you take a meeting tomorrow morning?
Elliott: Yes.
Search Firm: We'll send you the flight information.

nobody from UTK had to contact T. Elliott for that conversation to have occurred.

You do realize Dabo was an OC and has been calling plays longer than Elliot right?

Well heck yea.

All I’m saying is basically.......for me.......before you give me some mediocre current head coach.......I’d take this guy.

We all know Tennessee is down.....way down. Tennessee needs some building....no doubt.....however what Tennessee needs the more (I think) is “development.”

A good OC (in my opinion) has as good a chance or better for “development”.....as some of these head coaches being floated around.

I’d love a great current head coach.......just don’t seem to be a “ton” of great options......surely there are some......but I’m sure White can spot good talent......much better than I can.

Some of these current head coaches could be good, some I don’t think are all that great. Some have upside.....not sure about others......Elliot “could” flame out as a head coach.....I don’t know.....but he certainly has a lot of “upside.”

VN Store

Back