A deeper look into Tony Elliott at Clemson. A data based examination

The more I think about Elliott the more I come back to one thing: he’s turned down every offer that’s actually better than us (at the moment, not overall). So why now? Why walk into this mess when you could have a cushy job at Clemson or as an OC elsewhere in the pros, beef up the resume a bit, and then get a HC gig? I just don’t think he’s interested. I feel this is a lot of people saying “we have no idea so let’s throw out names in hopes one sticks”. And do we even know he’s wants to be a HC? Some guys are perfectly fine coaching as successful coordinators. The more I think about it, the more I just don’t think Elliott is being considered as heavily as it’s being made out to be.

Don't need another guy without head coaching experience....

I’m certainly down for experience.

Someone who can build and win while doing it.......however Tennessee has also tried head coaches before......and those didn’t work either.

I’m no longer sure it’s.......”you got to have this or that”........I simply think you need the “right” guy.

Reactions: 08Vol
The more I think about Elliott the more I come back to one thing: he’s turned down every offer that’s actually better than us (at the moment, not overall). So why now? Why walk into this mess when you could have a cushy job at Clemson or as an OC elsewhere in the pros, beef up the resume a bit, and then get a HC gig? I just don’t think he’s interested. I feel this is a lot of people saying “we have no idea so let’s throw out names in hopes one sticks”. And do we even know he’s wants to be a HC? Some guys are perfectly fine coaching as successful coordinators. The more I think about it, the more I just don’t think Elliott is being considered as heavily as it’s being made out to be.

Cause our Orange is a better Orange that that Orange/Red Clemson crap.

I see so many folks concerned or not wanting Elliot. I think much of that comes from Pruitt.......probably not all but certainly some.

I know a good HC with HC experience would be preferred; however I really don’t want to see a guy (get the job) who has been mediocre at best but maybe had a good season or two here and there.

Usually the best and worst head coaches alike were once coordinators. It’s a gamble I know........but dang give me a gamble with “big” upside.........rather than a 8-5 (or worse) head coach.

I know we talk “building” a lot. Tennessee is in the dumpster.......however the coach really don’t have to do a ton of building........he just needs to “develop.”

If a coach can come in here and develop......Tennessee will certainly be better than what we have seen in years.......as Tennessee has been lacking development.

Who knows.......I know I don’t........but it seems Clemson and Elliot can develop talent.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Lol all three of the coaches you cited were coordinators who got their first HC gig at a majors conference university.

Since reading comprehension isn’t one of your strengths, I’ll try to help you out. The key phrase in my post was “for a program trying to rebuild”. Smart and Jimbo didn’t take total rebuild jobs as coordinators getting SEC gigs. Mullen got a basement dweller program job at MSU. Those are totally different situations than UT. Our problems are way too big for an up and coming coordinator.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
You know that alleged association of Schiano with the Penn State scandal was complete crap, right? It was quadruple hearsay. I don't remember all of the coaches involved but essentially Mike McCreary, the guy who admitted that he walked in on Sandusky screwing a kid and did nothing, and thus had a vested interest in trying to spread his dishonor around to as many people as possible, said that Coach A told him that Coach B had said that Coach C told him that Schiano suspected something was going on with Sandusky. Every link of that chain, Coach A, B and C denied saying any such thing and Schiano denied it. If that sort of spurious slander is considered valid no one on this board is safe from being convicted of the most heinous and infamous crimes, not you, not me. We didn't want Schiano as coach, and he probably would have been a bad one, but there is no legitimate connection between Schiano and the Penn State scandal.

tan·gen·tial | \ tan-ˈjen(t)-shəl \
Definition of tangential

1a: touching lightly : INCIDENTAL, PERIPHERALtangential involvement also : of little relevance arguments tangential to the main point

Here is another one:

If you describe something as tangential, you mean that it has only a slight or indirect connection with the thing you are concerned with, and is therefore not worth considering seriously.

I’m certainly down for experience.

Someone who can build and win while doing it.......however Tennessee has also tried head coaches before......and those didn’t work either.

I’m no longer sure it’s.......”you got to have this or that”........I simply think you need the “right” guy.

So tell me what has Tony Elliot actually built in his tenure as an assistant coach?

So tell me what has Tony Elliot actually built in his tenure as an assistant coach?

Did you not read the post “before” you replied?

I said: I would be down for that.

I’m saying folks don’t want a coordinator, they want a head coach.........Tennessee has “also” tried head coaches......and they didn’t work either.

If vol Twitter revolts against whoever the hire is this time we might as well shut down the program because attracting a coach then would be almost impossible
I don't know - does Elliot have information about rapes occuring at Clemson that he hasn't shared with the authorities ? Is he from the Northeast ? Is he super arrogant and have a reputation for not getting along with players at both the college and professional level? Has his head coaching experience resulted in very mediocre to poor results ? If the answer to those questions is no - then Elliot and others would probably be pretty safe from my pitchfork. I did buy an axe two days ago that I have been sharpening, so keep me alerted as this search progresses.

If you wanted to hire an experienced offensive coordinator that has proven he knows what he is doing and absolutely had to be calling the plays -- reach out to the guy that was last years LSU OC. I think he is with someone in the pro's right now. We all know Ed O wasn't calling any plays - Ogeron appears one notch above Pruitt with his oratory skills - when I can actually decipher what it is he appears to be saying. Most of the time all I can make out is - " go tigers "

Good points to address. As far as the timing of him taking the TN job? Well sports illustrated has a good article about that. It was saying that yes Elliot has turned down many jobs. But usually when these jobs come open, Clemson is playing in a bowl game or in the playoffs. The TN job is open and Clemson isn’t playing.

Do we really know he wants to be a head coach? Great question. I know some will say of course he does but we don’t know that. Look at Veneables. I am sure he has had a ton of HC offers but never takes them. Obviously he loves being a coordinator and Elliot may be the same way.

As far as Elliot being a real candidate, NOBODY knows if he truly is.

Reactions: Checker_the_Shire
I see so many folks concerned or not wanting Elliot. I think much of that comes from Pruitt.......probably not all but certainly some.

I know a good HC with HC experience would be preferred; however I really don’t want to see a guy (get the job) who has been mediocre at best but maybe had a good season or two here and there.

Usually the best and worst head coaches alike were once coordinators. It’s a gamble I know........but dang give me a gamble with “big” upside.........rather than a 8-5 (or worse) head coach.

I know we talk “building” a lot. Tennessee is in the dumpster.......however the coach really don’t have to do a ton of building........he just needs to “develop.”

If a coach can come in here and develop......Tennessee will certainly be better than what we have seen in years.......as Tennessee has been lacking development.

Who knows.......I know I don’t........but it seems Clemson and Elliot can develop talent.

You do realize Dabo was an OC and has been calling plays longer than Elliot right?

People are absolutely running with it that White tried or nearly hired him at UCF and hoping it sticks.

VN Store

Back