99 yard fumble return discussion

There was no excuse for this happening.

IMO it's on Butch and Dobbs. We have to audible or call a time out to get out of that play. You can't miss the unaccounted for linebacker. He showed what he was going to do and we didn't make any adjustment.

I loved the fight in the result of the game, but I'm still a little concerned about that sequence of events. Like Butch said before it's the little things.

I'd like to see Dobbs given more liberty out there to get us into the correct play or at least call a timeout when we know the play is going to blow up.

Shut up.

Attachments

• shut-shut-your-mouth-o.gif
    shut-shut-your-mouth-o.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
That play was like revisiting a nightmare back when it was Casey Clausen senior year, and we fumbled at the 1 yard line before the half & GA ran it all the way back for a TD and that opened up the flood gates for GA. We ended up getting blowed out in the 2nd half.

Uhh ohh better not dare mention one of Casey's screwups in key situations you will be attacked by all the "road warrior" worshippers! Lol

STFU We WON! You negavols are pissed when we lose and miserable when we win.

Holy cow! Still? Enjoy this one for a little while, when you meet with the players tomorrow at practice you can fix these issues.

You're just pissed TN won. Can't push your agenda.

Must be fun to be hating all the time...

I'd like to see you go away

God forbid someone interrupt the parade and actually try to discuss football around here.

Reactions: 4 people
"This kid ran down a cephalopoid on foot boss, that's gotta be tough."

Dobbs showed more heart in that play than I have seen in a long time from a Tennessee player, and continued it throughout the game. He better win impact player of the week.

Reactions: 1 person
"This kid ran down a cephalopoid on foot boss, that's gotta be tough."

Dobbs showed more heart in that play than I have seen in a long time from a Tennessee player, and continued it throughout the game. He better win impact player of the week.

+1 for the obscure MIB reference

Uhh ohh better not dare mention one of Casey's screwups in key situations you will be attacked by all the "road warrior" worshippers! Lol

LOL! Tell me if that play, wasn't almost identical to that one. But don't get me wrong, I've always been a fan of Clausen. If it wasn't for his good QB play his freshman year in 2000, we more than likely wouldn't have made it to the Cotton Bowl against K-State. Man Casey really was the Ice Man in a lot of games. Do you remember Casey running that bootleg TD against Notre Dame in South Bend in 2001? It seemed like he was never going to make that 5 yards for a TD! They didn't call him Crazy Legs Clausen for nothing. LOL!

Yeah but... The Center and QB have to recognize that and change the play or at least the line call.

Great win woohoo.
Thanks for the thread too.

But, I didn't tlike the way that play looked before the Snap neither. I thought exactly what OP stated ... "Does Dobbs not have liberty to check out of a lot of situations"?

This looked like a good one. Maybe bc Josh is still only about a season old in games played, he is not fully equipped with check offs yet?

Phenomenal day for JD, but that one nearly cost us. That was a literal 15pt swing, just like 03'. Rarely does a team win after a play like that against good competition.

That should tell us something about where our team is. Huuuuge win considering that play.

Actually it was a 14 point swing. We would have won by 21

Over simplistic of course, but point well taken. You hear it (and see it) all the time ... when a turnover becomes a score, usually that seals the victory in games.

We overcame that and STILL won by 7.

Great win woohoo.
Thanks for the thread too.

But, I didn't tlike the way that play looked before the Snap neither. I thought exactly what OP stated ... "Does Dobbs not have liberty to check out of a lot of situations"?

This looked like a good one. Maybe bc Josh is still only about a season old in games played, he is not fully equipped with check offs yet?

Phenomenal day for JD, but that one nearly cost us. That was a literal 15pt swing, just like 03'. Rarely does a team win after a play like that against good competition.

That should tell us something about where our team is. Huuuuge win considering that play.

Exactly. What is so wrong with a QB sneak or a bootleg in that situation?? Absolutely thrilled with the W, so I can't complain with the outcome, but that play was absolutely bizarre.

Yeah but... The Center and QB have to recognize that and change the play or at least the line call.

Most likely thats a line call made usually by the center. You HAVE TO ACCOUNT FOR THE LB IN THE A GAP! Either the center or left guard has to take that LB. Could have worked out for the Vols if they're running to the right then the blitzing LB runs himself out of the play. I know most are tired of hearing it but its the type of mistake young OL make.

People jeez. OP said he was happy we won. He has a point. You can't have any more of those plays

Gotta ***** about something

Damn dude....

It's a message board where fans come to talk about the program, the players, the coaches and the games. He made some legitimate points...that lb came free because he was unaccounted for and he wound up blowing up the play which resulted in a 14 point swing. I didn't read it as *****ing about anything...it was a legit topic of discussion.

At least you got your "likes" though by playing the anti-negavol card though. Good for you.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not angry at all. Just an area that needs improvement and could be improved. Alabama is gonna do that all day against them
I agree that I would like to see us go more under center on short goal line situations. But we don't. I don't know why, and neither do any of the Monday morning QBs on here. That has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread and the resulting play however. Per the OP, Butch and Dobbs were to blame. Sorry, Hurd fumbled the ball. Shiz happens. Gawga benefitted. Them's the breaks. We won. I'm happy. I agree with the other guy that said there is lots to debate, and this play is not part of that.

VN Store

Back