#8 Washington State

We lose a couple games and those quirky speeches that people praise Leach for would become the biggest joke. People would hate it.

Reactions: butchna
Exactly.
People pointing out how good his record is NOW compared to our first year record?
Well, ****ing duh.

Would've had a rebuild here also and no way our "culture" boosters allow the personality of Leach, that time.
Just reality.

I'm dumbfounded by that. I mean....lol. Someone even defended his first 3 year record because of the mess left by the previous coach. Oh my goodness.

And ftr, in case some have forgotten, crying about not getting the coach you wanted is weak sauce. Nobody here got the coach on their list.

We've had some good and some bad in a season no one expected to be good. Criticism is expected, whining ain't. Oh, my bad...whining isn't.

Do you think his wins come without winning the LOS?
Ask anyone outside the UT bubble who they would prefer to have as a head coach , CJP or CML and see what kind of answers you get.

A proven winner with a track record of making bad programs relevant. What kind of crazy person would want that guy as the HC?

What if 1,000,000 out of 1,000,000 answered Leach? What does it prove? What does it mean? What does it change?

I don't get it man, and that's fine, we all have opinions.

What if 1,000,000 out of 1,000,000 answered Leach? What does it prove? What does it mean? What does it change?

I don't get it man, and that's fine, we all have opinions.

Yeah but the opinion that a proven HC (that has made programs who were historically losers into relevant programs) would be a better hire than a guy who has never been a HC before is a better choice is an opinion that is accurate.

Thus it is my opinion.

Mike Leach can coach circles around any member of this staff. All of their success has came when they had superior talent. That isnt coaching thatbis high level recruiting and getting the money into the right hands.

One mantra that has been repeated incessantly on VN this season in defense of this staf and CJP in particular is that "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s$#t." While it throws the players under the bus and let's this staff of eith little accountability, the biggest thing to me is that Mike Leach is doing just that.

And he would have been here doing it if our admin had a damn clue

Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
Yeah but the opinion that a proven HC (that has made programs who were historically losers into relevant programs) would be a better hire than a guy who has never been a HC before is a better choice is an opinion that is accurate.

Thus it is my opinion.

Mike Leach can coach circles around any member of this staff. All of their success has came when they had superior talent. That isnt coaching thatbis high level recruiting and getting the money into the right hands.

One mantra that has been repeated incessantly on VN this season in defense of this staf and CJP in particular is that "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s$#t." While it throws the players under the bus and let's this staff of eith little accountability, the biggest thing to me is that Mike Leach is doing just that.

Leach did that after 3 1/2 years of **** at WSU and a lot of his success has been helped by Oregon, Cal, USC, and the rest of the PAC12 being garbage.

Leach did that after 3 1/2 years of **** at WSU and a lot of his success has been helped by Oregon, Cal, USC, and the rest of the PAC12 being garbage.

WSU had even less talent 3 years ago than they have now.

The fact is he has been proven as a guy that can turn an historically bad program around. What has our current staff proven? They can win with the better athletes? Wonder what Leach could do with better athletrs?

Leach with a good defensive coordinator could have been lethal here. He's never been in a program that can attract top end talent like UT is capable.

Leach at Washington State
Year 1: 3-9
Year 2: 5-6
Year 3: 3-9

If Leach had been here, you would’ve been done after year 1. It’s almost like having more than 11 games to develop your roster is a good thing sometimes...

You're just wasting your time, a lot of people on here have the football IQ of an ant.

WSU had even less talent 3 years ago than they have now.

The fact is he has been proven as a guy that can turn an historically bad program around. What has our current staff proven? They can win with the better athletes? Wonder what Leach could do with better athletrs?
I think some overrate the talent that this team has, especially on both lines. WSU does have talent.....more importantly they have talent that fits Leach’s system and are players he brought there. Nothing of what Leach has done as a coach would suggest he would do any better than Pruitt has done here. You can argue it all day long if you want, I just don’t see it the way you do.

I think it will take less than that, probably in year 3, but what do I know :)

Eh, maybe, in if the opinion that we should see substantial improvement in year 3, but we won't seriously contend for the conference before year 4 at the earliest.

He is almost at the point where his name and record will do all the recruiting for him.
Lol when you type things of this level of ignorance, you should put the keyboard down ... immediately

So his record of 3-9 ( which would be at UT the worst 2 years in our ENTIRE history) the last two of out of 3 years speaks for itself does it ?

Lol when you type things of this level of ignorance, you should put the keyboard down ... immediately

So his record of 3-9 ( which would be at UT the worst 2 years in our ENTIRE history) the last two of out of 3 years speaks for itself does it ?

Not that I'm advocating for Mike Leach, but do you really believe that we'd be 3-9 with him as a coach, just because thst's the way his first year at Washington State went?

Where has Mike Leach turned things around for a program in a year? Took him 4 seasons to even have a winning record at WSU.

To be fair, he did take over a team that went 9-40 in four years under the previous coach. They had two 1-11 seasons, one 2-10 season and a 4-8 season the year before Leach was hired. I think that’s one reason for the patience of WSU fans.

Why didn’t experience and style help Leach to such heights in his first year at WasU? They went 4 and 8 the year before Leach took over and they went 3 and 9 his first year. Why didn’t his excellent experience and style immediately turn them around like people believe it would have with a horrible offensive line in the SEC.

And what record has he achieved adding in more of HIS experience and development for a nothing program? He is a seasoned HC. He’s starting ahead of Pruitt.

As bad as we are, we are not starting as low as that crappy west coast dumpster fire was.

UT before Pruitt
4-8
9-4
9-4
7-6

WS before Leach
4-8
2-10
1-11
2-10

I’m not saying Pruitt won’t prove to be the superior hire but I think it’s fairly obvious a more experienced HC that is currently ranked in the top 10 would have us a couple wins over where we are now.

Long term could be an entirely different story. Idk

To be fair, he did take over a team that went 9-40 in four years under the previous coach. They had two 1-11 seasons, one 2-10 season and a 4-8 season the year before Leach was hired. I think that’s one reason for the patience of WSU fans.
Understand that and I’m not trying to take anything from Leach and what he has done in WSU. Other than I do think the rest of the PAC12 being so bad has a bit to do with it and I don’t think he wins anymore games this year than Pruitt will with this roster. I also think Pruitt and this staff would recruit circles around Leach even if Leach was recruiting at a similar program as UT. JMO

Not that I'm advocating for Mike Leach, but do you really believe that we'd be 3-9 with him as a coach, just because thst's the way his first year at Washington State went?
Not necessarily BUT you among others are excoriating everything Pruitt does in his FIRST year while telling us all how great another coach is finally having some success in his 4th year in a much weaker conference! Wtf apples to ... zebras

And that same coach had a losing record the last 3 years including two 3-9 records which would be the worst 2 years in UT history.

Reactions: hmanvolfan
WSU is the first team I think of when I think worst team in the pac 12 and honestly it’s probably one of the worst in all of power 5 conferences along with Kansas

Now they are the best in the pac 12

So the fact it took a few years to get to this point shouldn’t be surprising at all

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Not necessarily BUT you among others are excoriating everything Pruitt does in his FIRST year while telling us all how great another coach is finally having some success in his 4th year in a much weaker conference! Wtf apples to ... zebras

And that same coach had a losing record the last 3 years including two 3-9 records which would be the worst 2 years in UT history.

What's incorrect about what I've said about Pruitt's first year? Nothing accomplished so far indicates that his success as a DC is going to translate to HC success at UT. I've not suggested he be fired, or that he's incapable of being successful, and stated on numerous occasions that I believe it will take a minimum of 3 seasons to make that determination.

Whether or not Leach would have a worse record if he were coaching or not, has no bearing on my opinion of Pruitt's coaching so far.

Can you direct me to an article stating that Leach forsnt recruit?

Google it your lazy self, it's out there. He spends the majority of his summers in Florida. Dont get so butthurt over it though, I like leach. He just wouldn't be putting together top 10 recruiting classes at TN

Last edited:
Leach is a lose cannon. I was in the “get him here” camp for a couple of reasons, the entertainment value and his offensive game plan.
A year later I recognize that he is always on the cusp of being canned for something controversial leaving his employer to begin yet another coaching search.
Being his AD would have to be stressful.

Thus it is my opinion.

Yea, my bad. I forgot this was one of those "IF ONLY we had hired **** ****, we would have more wins, I just know it" threads.

Reactions: VolinMC and butchna
They're top 10, 8-2, and looking good tonight. Their quarterback looks solid. Any thoughts on having Mike Leach wrapped up and Fulmer torpedoing the deal?

He might have been a better option considering the type of players we already had on campus. He is more of a finesse style coach whereas Pruitt wants to be smash mouth. I like Pruitt's style but he is at a big disadvantage until 2021 when he can establish his own roster to support his style.

VN Store

Back