5star recruiting

There is much merit to this post IMO. Lots of kids are 5 stars because of their team or school and not individual talent or performance. If you're a 3 or 4 star kid but play for DeLaSalle, Mater Dei, The Oaks, or Bishop Gorman on the west coast, it's not hard to see how they automatically get elevated to 4 or 5 star status because of the school. The same thing happens on the East coast, if you're out of IMG Academy but really a 2 or 3 star player, getting bumped up to 4 or 5 star can take place. If you're a 2 or 3 star kid out of Unicoi County and work your summers rather than going to camps, a 2 or 3 star player you'll be if that until you graduate.
Which is why I say it's a culture gap rather than a talent gap. Im not a big believer in recruiting services when talent is truthfully too hard to guage especially in certain positions. It would not surprise me in the least to learn in the near future that our 3 star recruits (Means, Maurer, Lampley ext) end up being more valuable to us than the higher rated ones. (Excluding the tackles)

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
"solid 10 wins a year" -----Not many of them around. except Ala. and Clem (right now) not many around now or for that matter ever.

Well 17 of the top 25 teams last year had 10 or better wins, 5 of those being SEC schools. So yeah 10 win seasons are pretty attainable.

One of the ways for a coach to turn a program around quickly is to find 5* talent with 3* ratings at an above average rate.

We won't know if Pruitt is doing that until they perform on the field.

This one time. At band camp. There were these 5 star guys. And we asked them to play football with us. And they did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Dear CJP,
Please only recruit 5 star players moving forward. I realize we may only have 1 scholarship athlete each year but, it's the key to a winning program. If my math is correct, we will need the 5 star players you recruit to play on both sides of the ball every down, every game. Go Vols.

It's great to have 5* players but with the right coaching 3&4 star players can be as good sometimes better think of all the 5* bust we have had, just saying.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I was thinking of saying "They have 5☆ hearts" but maybe I shouldn't go there.

In order to attract 5☆ recruits, you have to show potential recruits that you have the coaching skills to coach up a 3☆ and beat the Bamas, Clemsons and Georgias.

So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.

If it were only that easy...

Smh..

There are no secrets to success in college football. Only frustrated fans wondering when they are going to get there. Bama hears this stuff in reverse through the off-season, only it's in the context, is the dynasty over?

The short answer for both is talent, talent, talent. When Fulmer wasn't working on his undercover skills he was collecting talent. He was a better recruiter than coach and Pruitt is more than capable on the recruiting trail. At Bama, he was a force and has a likable style with the players. Given just how bare the cupboard was when he got to Knoxville, it's amazing the speed the shopping cart is filling.

So for 2020 we only have 4 and 3 star players. They may be good kids but if we ever want top 5 recruiting rankings to actually have a shot to beat the likes of Clemson, Bama, Georgia etc... Then we need to recruit some 5 star players or 5 star talent. When our back ups are 5 star athletes and as good as our starters then we will be back to out glory days.

VN Store

Back