5 keys to beat Ole Miss

Ty4Vols

Assistant Superintendent, Dorchester
#5. Getting players back from injury. It appears that we are full go minus Mitchell who is out for the year. Training staff will earn their pay checks this week. They need that soccer spray ready for Evans ankle and Small's shoulder.

#4. Must be able to get pressure with our front 4 especially late in the game. Containing their QB is a must do especially on 3rd down. We will play more zone on the back end I suspect to keep an eye on the QB so pressure is the only thing that speeds up his decisions. Give him 5 seconds and he will find someone open.

#3. O line must hold up early and often. Our offense sets up big plays very well. It's critical that the O line holds up so Hooker can take the shots down field when the opportunity arises.

#2. Coaches must not out coach themselves. What USCe did in their goalline against us that lead to our INT must NOT be duplicated by our staff this week. Run the ball often. The Rebel run defense is not their strength.

#1. Get off the field on 3rd down ESPECIALLY early in the game. Our defense is better but that only remains an advantage if they are rested. Come the 4th quarter these guys will be digging deep just because of lack of depth. If we can make it to the 4th with enough gas in the tank to finish the race we have a damn good shot of winning.

Go Vols

#5. Getting players back from injury. It appears that we are full go minus Mitchell who is out for the year. Training staff will earn their pay checks this week. They need that soccer spray ready for Evans ankle and Small's shoulder.

#4. Must be able to get pressure with our front 4 especially late in the game. Containing their QB is a must do especially on 3rd down. We will play more zone on the back end I suspect to keep an eye on the QB so pressure is the only thing that speeds up his decisions. Give him 5 seconds and he will find someone open.

#3. O line must hold up early and often. Our offense sets up big plays very well. It's critical that the O line holds up so Hooker can take the shots down field when the opportunity arises.

#2. Coaches must not out coach themselves. What USCe did in their goalline against us that lead to our INT must NOT be duplicated by our staff this week. Run the ball often. The Rebel run defense is not their strength.

#1. Get off the field on 3rd down ESPECIALLY early in the game. Our defense is better but that only remains an advantage if they are rested. Come the 4th quarter these guys will be digging deep just because of lack of depth. If we can make it to the 4th with enough gas in the tank to finish the race we have a damn good shot of winning.

Go Vols

Whatever you say, gate-keeper Peter, whatever you say. :D

Listening to the players and coaches from the YouTube I think they can compete however I think our fans will need to pack the stadium to help do their part for all the fans that are going. I myself will not bc I get off work Saturday morning at 630am

Listening to the players and coaches from the YouTube I think they can compete however I think our fans will need to pack the stadium to help do their part for all the fans that are going. I myself will not bc I get off work Saturday morning at 630am
Stay off “the YouTube, take a nap till 4pm. Tip back a bottle of maker’s and Uber to Neyland.

giphy.gif

Go Vols

Great post and thoughts.

I’ve been saying since Missouri that health is the key to winning the remaining swing games (Ole Miss and Kentucky). From the sound of yesterday’s press conference, we’re getting back the guys who missed SC, minus Mitchell and Calbert. That’s huge. I suggested prior to that game that guys who were a close call might be held out to get healthy for Ole Miss. I think a few like Jackson and Small could’ve gone Saturday, but didn’t.

Getting Mays back would be really big, but the good thing is, Carvin has adjusted to Center and Lane has grown at LG, so we’ve developed depth there in case of injury (something tells me Mays will Miss more time off and on).

Heupel doesn't feel like he is the kind of guy that outsmarts himself too often.

I feel good about our defense being better than theirs but I'm not sure it matters.

It’ll matter whoever gets points off turnovers will win this game. Banks needs to get creative with pressure and limit the extended plays.

Reactions: Birdie
Banks was hired to bring the heat. Pressure on the QB while shutting down their running game will be keys to beating Ole Miss.

From watching the replay of the Arkansas game I would agree with LK....Ole Miss played about as bad as one can play on defense in that game. Hopefully that continues this week BUT for me the biggest issue will be Vols keeping containment on Ole Miss QB. He is a difference-maker both with his legs and arm! I'll be there and pull hard for this Vol team (they are really easy to pull for) and leave it all in the "stands":cool:.

jUsT follow the maxims

• The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
  • Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way – SCORE.
  • If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up… put on more steam.
  • Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
  • Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle… for this is the WINNING EDGE.
  • Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
  • Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Really there are 4 keys:
1) Who’s healthy?
2) Establish the run game. If we do their defense is going to have a long day. Everything else opens up once we have the run going.
3)Defense just needs to do what they’ve done all year. Play solid, perhaps a lot better in red zone if possible.
4) Limit BS plays. Kiffin calls some boneheaded plays. We saw it against Bama but our kids have to be prepared every snap for that.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Banks was hired to bring the heat. Pressure on the QB while shutting down their running game will be keys to beating Ole Miss.
And MAN is he doing a great job! I've never been more impressed with a coordinator than I am with Tim Banks. We don't have any stars on defense but as a unit they've been outstanding. That whole defensive staff may be the best defensive staff we've ever had.

jUsT follow the maxims

• The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
  • Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way – SCORE.
  • If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up… put on more steam.
  • Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
  • Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle… for this is the WINNING EDGE.
  • Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
  • Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

The maxims will never steer you wrong.

One thing I like about UT's defense is they swarm to the ball. It will be important to getting some stops on 3rd down, especially against the screen and delayed handoff.

The offense needs to keep doing what they have been doing lately. No penalties, hit a few big plays, and rack up points early and often.

Getting pressure hasn't been much of an issue so far. Tackling, while having improved a hundred times over, is still an issue at times. Gotta wrap guys up in the backfield. Especially Corral. One thing is for sure, we will learn a lot about our defense this week, win or lose.

I suspect that our fast starts the past couple of games have allowed the coaches to put some things on film for LK and company. It'll be interesting to see what wrinkles get added this week.

Would be great if Oxford native, Turnage makes the play that seals the Vols win.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back