#5 is going into the rafters!

Ok TGO you’re right, we’ll see #5 on the court many more times.

There’s no need to be a smart ass. I didn’t say that. I said that they’re carefully wording it. If they do #11 and #32 and #25 and #2 and #43 and whatever Ron Widby wore and others they’ll be using up their available numbers. They can make a big deal about giving out certain numbers down the road with “approvals”. They can put Admiral’s and Jarnell’s jerseys up down the road without it being an issue. I think that numbers 53, 22, 14, and 20 were retired, but they might be walking that back under the radar. #53 might be the only one worthy of being retired, but Bernard also got himself into some trouble while the other 3 were at UT for 4 full years and avoided any controversy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan1000
Per Ut's SID department the number will be retired at the end of the season. Allowing ZZ to wear it was agreed upon with all parties. So after this year no other Vol will be able to wear the #5

Is there a link to that? 247 and Grant Ramey don’t work for UT’s SI department. I wonder why they didn’t they make that clarification in the original press release.

There’s no need to be a smart ass. I didn’t say that. I said that they’re carefully wording it.
That’s what you are insinuating, that the number isn’t being retired, which suggests it can/will be used again. Everyone else seems to think that the #5 ends with Zeigler.

That’s what you are insinuating, that the number isn’t being retired, which suggests it can/will be used again. Everyone else seems to think that the #5 ends with Zeigler.

I didn’t insinuate anything. I SAID that UT’s wording is that it is a retired “jersey” number and that he’s the 5th player to be “permanently honored” in the rafters. The headline on utsports dot com even says they are retiring his jersey. It would have made sense to include that nobody will ever wear #5 again. But they didn’t word it that way.

I didn’t insinuate anything. I SAID that UT’s wording is that it is a retired “jersey” number and that he’s the 5th player to be “permanently honored” in the rafters. The headline on utsports dot com even says they are retiring his jersey. It would have made sense to include that nobody will ever wear #5 again. But they didn’t word it that way.
Ok

Per Ut's SID department the number will be retired at the end of the season. Allowing ZZ to wear it was agreed upon with all parties. So after this year no other Vol will be able to wear the #5
I thought ZZ got to wear it until his career was over. Did I misread that?

The candidates for the next retired basketball number at UT should include Grant Williams and Tobias Harris and Josh Richardson.

Also Allan Houston if that has not already been done.

The candidates for the next retired basketball number at UT should include Grant Williams and Tobias Harris and Josh Richardson.

Tobias played just 1 year at TN so he should not have his jersey retired. TN should have a banner with the names of all players drafted into the NBA IMO.

Houston is in the rafters with King, Grunfeld, and Ellis. Reggie Johnson, Tony White, Ron Widby, Mike Edwards, Larry Robinson, Rodney Woods, Bill Justus, Tom Boerwinkle, Mike Jackson, Ron Slay, and Jimmy England should be ahead of Tobias and Josh IMO. Maybe Howard Wood as well. Especially Tobias. He was only here for one season.

Edwards, Widby, White, and Slay were all SEC POYs. Allan Houston never was.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Loved watching him play.

He really must have blossomed after high school, since he had very little notice while in high school.

He was actually pretty dominant in high school but people ignored their eyes and said he was too short and too slow to play at a high level in major college basketball. He was Mr. Basketball in Kentucky, Gatorade Player of the Year, AP player of the year and he won a state championship as a junior and played in the title game as a senior.

Hell yes. One of two main players (Eric Berry being the other in football) they made me a die hard Tennessee fan in 06-07. Funny that my basketball fandom goes back a year earlier than my football fandom but Chris was the main reason. Much deserved.

Reactions: VolPack22

We have actual criteria for numbers being retired. Zero chance that tobias could have his. Josh also doesn't qualify either. Grant certainly does qualify and will have his number retired at some point.

You can read the requirements here: University of Tennessee retired jersey requirements

Chris certainly had at least two (SEC POY, career record holder in significant category). He wasn't technically a first team all-American, but one publication had him as one, though unclear if that counts. The committee could have been his final qualification.

We have actual criteria for numbers being retired. Zero chance that tobias could have his. Josh also doesn't qualify either. Grant certainly does qualify and will have his number retired at some point.

You can read the requirements here: University of Tennessee retired jersey requirements

Chris certainly had at least two (SEC POY, career record holder in significant category). He wasn't technically a first team all-American, but one publication had him as one, though unclear if that counts. The committee could have been his final qualification.

But what is the requirement to have their number required? Not just their jersey?

Just do your job and shock people by how well you do it. Preparation. Consistency. Execution. Finish the job.

VN Store

Back