#5 is going into the rafters!

I saw Pearl coach the Vols to a win over Ky, the night they retired Bernard King's jersey/number. The atmosphere in TBA was electrified, I expect the same for Lofton and Ky, this year

Loved watching him play.

He really must have blossomed after high school, since he had very little notice while in high school.

Awesome! My favorite Vol I have seen play. Does anyone know if Zeigler will have to change to a different number this season since he is 5 right now?

Reactions: VolPack22
Probably my favorite Vol b-ball player ever. He was so fun to watch, so clutch. We were very lucky to have him as a Vol.

I wish he would have got a real shot in the NBA, especially after seeing guys like Steph Curry light it up.

Reactions: walkenvol
Boom! Congrats to Money #5...thank you for all the great memories and for being such a great ambassador for the university.

Awesome! My favorite Vol I have seen play. Does anyone know if Zeigler will have to change to a different number this season since he is 5 right now?

Not likely. They are saying that his Jersey is being retired, not his number. I would guess that that means if somebody wants to wear #5 in the future that Lofton will be consulted. Like if a top 5 or 10 recruit wants it.

Tony White’s #11 could go up. Reggie Johnson’s #32. Mike Edwards #25. Grant Williams #2. Larry Robinson #43. Admiral and Jarnell Stokes #5.

There aren’t enough numbers to keep retiring them.

Reactions: b-ball fan
As good as Lofton was, I don't think it's fair to only associate the #5 with just him. We've had some all time greats at UT dawn the #5 in Stokes, Admiral and possibly Zakai. Maybe not as decorated, but still really important pieces on special teams.

I wish we'd treat #5 like LSU football treats #7. Give it to the most deserving, hardest working player on the team. Treat it as a reward.

As good as Lofton was, I don't think it's fair to only associate the #5 with just him. We've had some all time greats at UT dawn the #5 in Stokes, Admiral and possibly Zakai. Maybe not as decorated, but still really important pieces on special teams.

I wish we'd treat #5 like LSU football treats #7. Give it to the most deserving, hardest working player on the team. Treat it as a reward.

That’s how to do it.

The UT press releases refer to it as a retired “jersey”. Not a retired “number”.

Then followed up with UT saying Lofton gave his blessing for Zeigler to continue wearing it until he’s done at UT

“Lofton becomes UT's fifth men's basketball player to be permanently honored in the Thompson-Boling Arena rafters.”

Permanently “honored”.

Seems like they were careful in the official press release to avoid saying his “number” has been retired.

“The Tennessee basketball program will honor legendary All-American and SEC all-time 3-point king Chris Lofton by retiring his No. 5 jersey at halftime of this season's home game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 14.”

“Lofton becomes UT's fifth men's basketball player to be permanently honored in the Thompson-Boling Arena rafters.”

Permanently “honored”.

Seems like they were careful in the official press release to avoid saying his “number” has been retired.

“The Tennessee basketball program will honor legendary All-American and SEC all-time 3-point king Chris Lofton by retiring his No. 5 jersey at halftime of this season's home game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 14.”
Ok TGO you’re right, we’ll see #5 on the court even after Zeigler is gone.

Then followed up with UT saying Lofton gave his blessing for Zeigler to continue wearing it until he’s done at UT
So I’m assuming it’s a retired number and won’t be used after Zeigler is done with it? Zeigler is the perfect one to wear #5 imo

That’s my understanding, but of course TGO sees it differently.
Per Ut's SID department the number will be retired at the end of the season. Allowing ZZ to wear it was agreed upon with all parties. So after this year no other Vol will be able to wear the #5

VN Store

Back