5 concerns from spring practice..

While I agree with your general point about our DL, which has virtually no chance to be very good this year, if our OL were much better we could at least make a game of it vs most of our opponents rather than getting blown out by 25 points like we did all the last year. After last year, I think I’d take a few games where we put up 45-50 points and still lost rather than get embarrassed 38-10 or something. Let’s just change it up a bit....of we’re gonna lose, let’s at least be entertained with a few touchdowns. Just a thought.
I'd rather lose 51-45, than 51-13. But, I cannot see this offense scoring that often, on SEC defenses. At it's best, I'd say 30 points/game, running on all cylinders. We just don't have the deep threats to stretch SEC defenses, at this point. I see a more methodical offense, with a good mix of run and pass, moving the chains. Our big WR's become deadly in the red zone. No so much, from our own 25. Am I wrong? Do we have a deep threat? I mean our RB's are more of quick-strike threat than our WR's.

While I agree with your general point about our DL, which has virtually no chance to be very good this year, if our OL were much better we could at least make a game of it vs most of our opponents rather than getting blown out by 25 points like we did all the last year. After last year, I think I’d take a few games where we put up 45-50 points and still lost rather than get embarrassed 38-10 or something. Let’s just change it up a bit....of we’re gonna lose, let’s at least be entertained with a few touchdowns. Just a thought.

The last few years our defense was usually decent in the first half (some exceptions: AL, and turnover fiasco FL game, etc) but wore down mid 3rd quarter due to time of possession imbalance from 3 and out offense.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Actually, the schedule this year is virtually identical to last year’s.
That said, we only had 1 OOC team that looked like it could beat us last year, WVa...and they did. This year, we have 2 OOC teams that could beat us if we don’t play well (BYU and UAB), but neither really should.
Other than that, we face the same teams in the East, Alabama in the West, and another West team in MissSt that will very likely be favored, just like Auburn was.
We do get 8 of our 12 games in Neyland, but let’s be honest....it’s not the same home field advantage that it once was, not even close.

It still can be once we give our fans some hope (have they allowed beer sales yet?). If we roll into Neyland a strong 3-1 or 4-0, they will resurface in force.

It got pretty loud for Oklahoma game that butch blew. That wasn't that long ago was it?

Reactions: preacherwebb
I'd rather lose 51-45, than 51-13. But, I cannot see this offense scoring that often, on SEC defenses. At it's best, I'd say 30 points/game, running on all cylinders. We just don't have the deep threats to stretch SEC defenses, at this point. I see a more methodical offense, with a good mix of run and pass, moving the chains. Our big WR's become deadly in the red zone. No so much, from our own 25. Am I wrong? Do we have a deep threat? I mean our RB's are more of quick-strike threat than our WR's.
No, you’re right. It’d be nice to see some good, consistent offense, but we just don’t have the weapons yet.....some nice pieces, just not enough skill players who can stretch the field and put pressure on a defense. And of course, we return the worst OL in the country. DL is surely a huge concern as well.

Reactions: kbear01
This team is thin with depth and talent, so any injury to a starter can spell big trouble for the Vols
fingers crossed.....before the healing can begin, the Vols must get past Vanderbilt and win the state of Tennessee back.....beating Vanderbilt is not an option, it's a must

Reactions: KBVol

Tennessee's RB's are only average as the SEC goes, they don't have anyone special and many other SEC teams have better backs, not to mention Olines......just not enough talent on the hill at this time.....when we win an SEC game it will be with great balance and good receiver play

Reactions: kbear01
No, you’re right. It’d be nice to see some good, consistent offense, but we just don’t have the weapons yet.....some nice pieces, just not enough skill players who can stretch the field and put pressure on a defense. And of course, we return the worst OL in the country. DL is surely a huge concern as well.
Here I go again getting into someone else's conversation but we can keep the scores down by executing a ball control offense. Without the 3 and outs we will not see 51-13 losses or even 51-41. Well see losses like 28-20 to teams like Bama just by simply keeping their offense off the field.

Tyler Byrd but he can't seem to sniff the field...I hear Keyton has some wheels as well

Tennessee's RB's are only average as the SEC goes, they don't have anyone special and many other SEC teams have better backs, not to mention Olines......just not enough talent on the hill at this time.....when we win an SEC game it will be with great balance and good receiver play
Ty Chandler and Eric gray are exceptional athlete's. I think crouch could be something special as well.

Reactions: preacherwebb
It is hard to tell how good UT's skill position players are. The offensive line is so deficient that, as funny as it sounds, I really do not know what we have in Guarantano and Chandler.

Ty Chandler and Eric gray are exceptional athlete's. I think crouch could be something special as well.

While I agree Chandler is a gifted player and Gray while untested, could prove to be as well. Tennessee still doesn’t have the quality of RB’s that the top teams in the SEC have on their roster. The Oline will not be up to SEC standards, unless some sort of miracle happens.
I think we’ll be ok at RB, just not exceptional, the receivers appear to be our most talented position group, at least so far.

While I agree Chandler is a gifted player and Gray while untested, could prove to be as well. Tennessee still doesn’t have the quality of RB’s that the top teams in the SEC have on their roster. The Oline will not be up to SEC standards, unless some sort of miracle happens.
I think we’ll be ok at RB, just not exceptional, the receivers appear to be our most talented position group, at least so far.

RBs are just fine. Chandler has speed and hands, Jordan is a bruiser at times and Banks is just something else when he has the ball, especially if he has fixed his fumbling woes which it seems like he has.

As for WRs we have speed and we have some guys coming in a week or so who are supposed to be speed demons. So we will see there. We won’t truly know what we have until August.

RBs are just fine. Chandler has speed and hands, Jordan is a bruiser at times and Banks is just something else when he has the ball, especially if he has fixed his fumbling woes which it seems like he has.

As for WRs we have speed and we have some guys coming in a week or so who are supposed to be speed demons. So we will see there. We won’t truly know what we have until August.

SEPTEMBER

Tyler Byrd but he can't seem to sniff the field...I hear Keyton has some wheels as well
Keyton isn't fast. If you look at his highlights from hs you'll see he wasn't taking the top off of the def. He was capitalizing on busted def coverages and 50/50 passes. Knowing that going into the spring game I for one was disappointed in what I seen from him.

We will take our bumps and brusies but I'd rather roll out with Wright, Morris, and a healthy grey Smith them the rotation we had last year

Here I go again getting into someone else's conversation but we can keep the scores down by executing a ball control offense. Without the 3 and outs we will not see 51-13 losses or even 51-41. Well see losses like 28-20 to teams like Bama just by simply keeping their offense off the field.
Ehhhh, not so sure. Last year we were blown out of 6 games....iirc, we led in time of possession for half those games. Posted about this a couple months ago.

Truth is, it takes a balanced approach to do what you suggest. For example, if your offense is good at ball control and moving the sticks but can’t funisg drives....while your defense is simultaneously prone to giving up big plays/quick scoring drives....you can find yourself down 21-0 while having run more plays with more time of possession. Willing to bet I can easily find 5-6 such games over the last 3-4 seasons where this is the case.

Ehhhh, not so sure. Last year we were blown out of 6 games....iirc, we led in time of possession for half those games. Posted about this a couple months ago.

Truth is, it takes a balanced approach to do what you suggest. For example, if your offense is good at ball control and moving the sticks but can’t funisg drives....while your defense is simultaneously prone to giving up big plays/quick scoring drives....you can find yourself down 21-0 while having run more plays with more time of possession. Willing to bet I can easily find 5-6 such games over the last 3-4 seasons where this is the case.
I can respect that. The def was new to everyone last season so you're probably right. With a better understanding this season that may change. But we also went 3 and out quite a bit as well. So we'll just call this one a truce

And yet we are #15 in the country according to espn
Hope they know something most of us don't. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we end the season in the top 25 with our line issues. I was hoping year 3 would be great but our lines make we believe it maybe year 4 before we can compete with the top tier teams.

VN Store

Back