4th and 1 question

Well we have to do what the chart says. No but seriously, it probably has to be about field position. Don't make it at the goal line, they have the length of the field and even though we didn't get the points, odds are better that we get the ball back. 4 and 1 anywhere else, we don't get points and the other team doesn't have as far to score. That's my guess anyways.

Reactions: 08Vol and RollerVol
How come on 4th and 1 on the goal line we bring in Crouch and he usually makes it. But on 4th and 1 anywhere else on the field we don’t use him. Am I’m missing something??

We did use him on either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 against Miss. State....if memory serves......in the middle of the field

Reactions: bpalmer28
How come on 4th and 1 on the goal line we bring in Crouch and he usually makes it. But on 4th and 1 anywhere else on the field we don’t use him. Am I’m missing something??
You have to ask it in Lexington Steve’s voice and I’ll hang up and listen! Go Vols!

Reactions: greybone
I guess it would be because it makes it fairly obvious what we're doing. Not that the defense doesn't know already... but maybe the coaches want the other team to think it's possible we pass.

Good question.If he comes in there's a good chance he's getting the ball and at the goal line if you don't make it the other team has to go the length of the field but say,at the 50,with the linebackers keying on him and you don't make it you just gave them a short field.

Instead of Crouch I would maybe use Mathew Butler,I remember part of his HS film showed him used as TB.He was pretty nimble for a big guy. Just a thought!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I guess it would be because it makes it fairly obvious what we're doing. Not that the defense doesn't know already... but maybe the coaches want the other team to think it's possible we pass.

I think JG took care of that problem in the Alabama game resulting in a 100yd scoop and score

Because if he breaks a tackle at midfield you don’t want a large LB running downfield

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
10:55 left in the 1st quarter, we have first and goal at the 6. JG over throws three passes, gets lost on one play and gains 3. I was screaming BUTCH,PLEASE. You have to be able to run the ball, get in close the defense has less area to cover. We do not have the ability to throw into tight coverage. Until we score TDs from the red zone MUCH better than we did this year, we are not going to be a good team.r

I agree but if he made it past first line, I’d rather have gray to try to run 50 yds for a td than Crouch
Me too, but the box is usually stacked tight on 4th and short. More than just the first line to get through into an open field..

It may be due to ball control as if you cross the goal line the play is dead and if it is just a first down they can try and strip the ball from you for a fumble.

Just grasping at straws really.

VN Store

Back